Quantcast

Best coil shock for Commencal Supreme DH?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
So I ended up grabbing a used 2020/21 Supreme DH, without the shock. Since I'm jumping into foreign territory (19 years riding only Karpiel's) I'm kinda lost now on what seems to be the best all around shock for this bike. I prefer coil over air, and seem to be leaning towards the Fox DHX2, however the Cane Creek DB Kitsuma & Ohlins TTX22M look intriguing. Any experiences with any/all of them, positive/negative?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So I ended up grabbing a used 2020/21 Supreme DH, without the shock. Since I'm jumping into foreign territory (19 years riding only Karpiel's) I'm kinda lost now on what seems to be the best all around shock for this bike. I prefer coil over air, and seem to be leaning towards the Fox DHX2, however the Cane Creek DB Kitsuma & Ohlins TTX22M look intriguing. Any experiences with any/all of them, positive/negative?
CCDB, same shit poppet valve design. DHX2, slightly improved valves that kind of actually work, but WTF imperial internals and limited ability still to tune the ride aftermarket.

I'd be looking at EXT Arma or Avalanche Woodie/Chubbie (usually Woody if your frame can take it).

Anything else is meh. And finding the properly tuned aftermarket shock these days is pretty difficult. The metric shocks have lowered the leverage rates, but they still pump them out aftermarket with "medium" tunes that are usually way too harsh unless you weigh 250lbs.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I have an Ohlins that I'm very happy with. But, I'm a hack.

what size shock does that frame use? I have a new DHX2 in 8.75x2.75 for you if its the correct size.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I've enjoyed the '21 DHX2. Fox has a lot of valving options now, just don't expect much in the way of advice from their tech dept - https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=1077.

Ohlins was really good on my Enduro EVO a few years back, I'd probably go that direction since they have a tune for your bike already.

A good option for a little less $ is getting a Super Deluxe and getting a Vorsprung Tractive tune for it, although you give up the high speed compression adjustment (high speed rebound adjustment as well, but you shouldn't need it after a custom tune).

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Shock size is or should be 250x75 (9.8x2.95)

I've got a avalanche woodie I may be selling 9.5x3

Congrats on that , they ride really well...i cruised my buddies around...ill be slapping a leg over his this weekend at summit...
I tried getting my buddies lol..he has the same one rides amazing...tried to get his buddies Tuesday but he's not letting go yet either...lol

Last edited:

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
the old x2 avoid it.
the cane creek avoid it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Bomber CR, but even that you gotta get with a light tune to work for most metric stuff unless you are heavier IME, or get a decent shock like Avalanche/EXT. All the in-between stuff, Super Deluxe, X2, CCDB, Ohlins, etc., it's all "meh", it's no better than the bomber CR and in many cases, worse.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
CCDB, same shit poppet valve design. DHX2, slightly improved valves that kind of actually work, but WTF imperial internals and limited ability still to tune the ride aftermarket.

I'd be looking at EXT Arma or Avalanche Woodie/Chubbie (usually Woody if your frame can take it).

Anything else is meh. And finding the properly tuned aftermarket shock these days is pretty difficult. The metric shocks have lowered the leverage rates, but they still pump them out aftermarket with "medium" tunes that are usually way too harsh unless you weigh 250lbs.
I'm about 223lbs with gear, 210-14lbs depending on breakfast. Not used to venturing in this area. Trying keep it more budget minded for now, as in 3 weeks I'll have two kids in college:panic:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm about 223lbs with gear, 210-14lbs depending on breakfast. Not used to venturing in this area. Trying keep it more budget minded for now, as in 3 weeks I'll have two kids in college:panic:
Bomber CR, no question then. At your weight it should work good. It's everything that was good about Fox shox with none of the bad, like boost valves, or poppet valves, etc. It's really the value choice in terms of performance, with the only negative being out of the box it will not work great for lighter riders on low leverage applications, but really, that's every shock except the old X2 and CCDB, but while they are more "tunable", they never perform as well.

Last edited:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Shock size is or should be 250x75 (9.8x2.95)

I've got a avalanche woodie I may be selling 9.5x3

Congrats on that , they ride really well...i cruised my buddies around...ill be slapping a leg over his this weekend at summit...
I tried getting my buddies lol..he has the same one rides amazing...tried to get his buddies Tuesday but he's not letting go yet either...lol
Thx! I'm pretty fired up!

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Bomber CR, no question then. At your weight it should work good. It's everything that was good about Fox shox with none of the bad, like boost valves, or poppet valves, etc. It's really the value choice in terms of performance, with the only negative being out of the box it will not work great for lighter riders on low leverage applications, but really, that's every shock except the old X2 and CCDB, but while they are more "tunable", they never perform as well.
Is that the same as the Fox DHX?

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Bomber CR, but even that you gotta get with a light tune to work for most metric stuff unless you are heavier IME, or get a decent shock like Avalanche/EXT. All the in-between stuff, Super Deluxe, X2, CCDB, Ohlins, etc., it's all "meh", it's no better than the bomber CR and in many cases, worse.
I've got an Avalanche Chubbie on one bike and EXT on another. The EXT beats it a little because of the hydraulic bottom out. But Avy's bumpers are good.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I'm about 223lbs with gear, 210-14lbs depending on breakfast.
Light weight!!! Lol
Yeah got 1 in college 1 started high school...it gets budget minded real quick....
Buddy has the new x2 on his commencal supreme. He tried the air wasn't super happy.
We are gonna swap bikes at summit Sunday for a run.....I'm afraid I'm going to like his better than my m9 lol ...

I think any of the newer shocks will work well, I have a ccdb on my m9 and the avalanche is going on for summit this weekend....prepping for bigger hits...

Be curious to see what you choose....I think any of us can ride a on par or sub par shock and kick ass on it ..I rode a blown shock and had a blast still...

Shocks are fairly cheap off and on the size is a little off buddy just grabs 9.5x3 or metric so his options are more...

PICS!!!!!!

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
The Bomber CR that came stock on my 2018 Glory was an absolute turd bucket. Avy tune made it much better, but even then I've had better frame/shock matches.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Sweet, now me and Avalanche are "enemies for life" :cupidarrow: for canceling an order 5 weeks past projected! Ok, so not Avalanche evidently.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
beware of an avalanche,
Well, he said I was blacklisted for life, so there is that.
The jackass is a diqk even to his supporters...

Anyone who wants a shock that a 110lb girl can bottom out going off a curb but rebound strong enough for an 800lb spring and you want to deal with a rude arrogant ass to get it

I whole heartedly recommend avalanche

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
beware of an avalanche,

The jackass is a diqk even to his supporters...

Anyone who wants a shock that a 110lb girl can bottom out going off a curb but rebound strong enough for an 800lb spring and you want to deal with a rude arrogant ass to get it

I whole heartedly recommend avalanche
He did say, "you can't just do that, you are going to still pay $300 for a restocking fee and you don't even get a shock, I'm probably going to get started on it here in the next 5 or 6 days".

I said, "it's called sunk cost".

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Won't defend his friend making abilities...
He's got a skill beyond mine lol..

But shock wise mine have always been damn near spot on...early on there was a change or 2 and I took his advice. shim wise i swapped em out on the carts and he was right on the money..my shocks I have always been happy with...

Now back to what shock for the commencal....lol
Obviously not avy for some, I like the ccdb and the x2 was ok I didn't like it on the 951 (progressive 2013 non evo model)...
I couldn't get it to fit m9 due to pocket link on frame and the x2 having a twisted off center reservoir...

From what I've seen lately having been out of it and in no particular order
Ccdb
X2
Avy
Push
Ohlins
And that really high prices one out of Utah seem to be the big key setups...

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
FTW!
View attachment 163427

El Hefe basically just a clone of an Avy DHS right?
Definitely FTW!!!!!

Cause colum loading shocks are for pu$$!es, ,has built in side load for damping..first progressive coil shock...
Bend to desired platform...
El jefe was stratos version of a moto shock for bikes it and avy basically the same....

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Best I've had/felt is still the Chubbie on my 6-pack. We'll see how the Arma stacks up.

I had a DHS, but it was tuned for someone heavier (bought 2nd hand). When I pushed real hard through chunk I could see how well it could work, but it was impossible to push that hard through regular terrain.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
If $$$ becomes less of an issue, consider an EXT? I wanted one for my V10 but delivery times during Covid were ridiculous.
I have the ccdb air and ccdb coil...Steve at garage works gets me all seals etc...just went through both of em and modded the air and did a xv air can...thing is pretty damn good...way better than before...
Coil is good it's on m9 for the moment...

I saw the EXT I am curious to that and been eyeballing the ohlins...price is a bit heavy...but seems to be a well designed shock.

What did you throw on V-10?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I think the CCDB can work really well as long as you get lucky enough for it to basically get along with the bike. My CCDB coil on my Megatower works really well, but the one on the Kona Operator isn't as good. Still decent enough though.

As for Vorsprung Tractive, I think most people like the tuning but I'm one of the few that hated it.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
I love the EXT on my 'duro. It really isn't that expensive @ $1000 or so when you consider it is custom tuned for you and you get Qty2 light weight springs.
Fox DHX2 is $650 w/o spring, CC Kitsuma $700 w/o spring.

They ride awesome. I really like the zero preload, super sensitive coil feel and that is EXT to a T.
Tried to get one for the Demo I just picked up, but supposedly they have fitment issues. :rant:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
A local susp tech friend of mine said that ohlins shocks are very easy to service and repair so if you have someone who has experience working on them just buy a used ohlins shock and get it to someone competent
Too bad people are in us here as I even have one for sale that didn’t get any riding post rebuild in March

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
A local susp tech friend of mine said that ohlins shocks are very easy to service and repair so if you have someone who has experience working on them just buy a used ohlins shock and get it to someone competent
Too bad people are in us here as I even have one for sale that didn’t get any riding post rebuild in March
That’s true. It’s just a couple c clips holding it together. You can leave the bladder in when bleeding too. It´s very easy and pretty fast to work on.

I lent an Ohlins to a friend with a Commencal (DhX2 air wasn’t doing it for him) and he doesn’t seem to answer his phone anymore. I think he’s worried I’ll ask for the shock back, haha. Other friends say I need to take the shock back because he going real quick and they liked it more when he was slower and struggling....

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
That’s true. It’s just a couple c clips holding it together. You can leave the bladder in when bleeding too. It´s very easy and pretty fast to work on.

I lent an Ohlins to a friend with a Commencal (DhX2 air wasn’t doing it for him) and he doesn’t seem to answer his phone anymore. I think he’s worried I’ll ask for the shock back, haha. Other friends say I need to take the shock back because he going real quick and they liked it more when he was slower and struggling....
Just get him one of those Fox Grip 3 dampers that were on lower end bikes. That damper would slow anyone down. Don't remember the last time I had so many "oh look a penny" moments ;)