Quantcast

Best dh brakes?

adamdh1

Chimp
Jun 23, 2008
Building up the bike and looking for brakes. Tried searching but with no avail. What would be the best brakes for a not so light dh bike? Also maybe the best for the money?

Feb 20, 2008
Im gonna reccomend hayes stroker trails, i really like mine, they have it all, power, modulation, an incredible feel, and they dont get brake fade. They definately surpassed my expectations when i got them. I prefer the strokers over any of the juicy series. If you want even more power, hayes is coming out with the stroker ace... a 4 piston stroker which looks really nice, but i cant comment on the performance. Avid has the code, but im not a fan of it, way to touchy and its either on or off. From what i hear the formula the one is supposed to be an awesome brake also.

lachy_mtb

Monkey
May 25, 2008
if you want something taht is straight out of the box the formula the one is great if you are caring about weight. if you dont mind just go with some codes, they arent extremly heavy have great breaking power and parts are everywhere really

BigHitDan

Chimp
Aug 26, 2003
Victoria BC
I am also looking for a good DH brake. I am 220lbs and ride a 56lb bike hard and fast, so I need stopping power. I am not a fan of the codes, they seem a little too finicky. I am also looking for durability, they need to be able to take a beating.
Any suggestions?

bansheefr51

Chimp
Jun 23, 2008
I am also looking for a good DH brake. I am 220lbs and ride a 56lb bike hard and fast, so I need stopping power. I am not a fan of the codes, they seem a little too finicky. I am also looking for durability, they need to be able to take a beating.
Any suggestions?
I ride a 56 lb banshee and weigh in at about 250 and run codes. Awesome brake. Not finicky at all! I upgraded to them this year and couldn't be happier. I also beat the crap out of my bike and they have held up fine.

Jun 6, 2008
auburn,wa
gotta pick up the hope motos or the avid code or code 5. i got a set of 203 mm code they are so smooth easy to set up. got them off ebay nib for 360 the set. but if you got cash to spend hope is the way to go!

Jul 16, 2007
Romania
I was riding hayes stroker trails (203) on my v10 and they sucked, they just didn't have enough stopping power. I swapped them with Avid Codes and I'm very happy now.

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
I was riding hayes stroker trails (203) on my v10 and they sucked, they just didn't have enough stopping power. I swapped them with Avid Codes and I'm very happy now.
Have to agree. To be honest there has never been a Hayes brake that has the power, modulation and lever feel that the avids have. I have had a set of codes on my shocker for 2 years now and am very happy and always impressed. I've bled them 3 times in that time and changed a few pads. The elixer is just as pwerful also but IMO doesn't have the modulation of the Codes. Steer clear of Hayes for DH at the the very least.

Oct 17, 2009
Heidelberg, Germany
I'm about 210lbs and I ride a 53lbs bike and my Codes stop me just fine. I haven't really ridden many other brands though, only really avid, so I'm not exactly sure what would be the best. But from my experience codes are awesome.

sgt.jag

Chimp
Jun 22, 2009
I have ridden avid codes for 2 years i dont ride any other brakes on my dh rig I am 200lbs and i have a 45lbs bike

bobkelso

Chimp
Feb 20, 2008
Bay Area
I have a similar question.

I have a set of Hayes Mags on my freeride bike. The rear brake is sufficient, but the front experiences fade and isn't quite as powerful as I would like. I am wondering if a set of braided cables and better pads would do the trick, or if I should upgrade to something like a Code front. I'm only 155 on a 43lb bike, so there isn't a lot of me to have to slow down.

Thanks!

antalmjah

Chimp
Nov 8, 2009
Go for a brake thats pretty much guaranteed to work great like Formulas, I also like the Hayes Strokers but I had an unbelievable amount of problems with the 08 XTs and Avids Juicy line of brakes.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Check out new saints or codes. The saints have been dead reliable for me, they finally need a bleed at the end of the season and I'll probably replace the pads for next but keep the not-quite dead old ones around just in case. Superb power, control, and mostly silent operation.

Have heard good things about code power but lots of bad news about reliability and build quality. People will defend them to the death, but QC issues, bleeding issues, and overall hit-or-miss qualities kept me away. Power is there, though.

Formulas are good but support is non-existant, for the most part, in the US at most mountains. Good brakes, but bring your own spares!

Hopes are pretty much the same as above. I hated mine compared to the saints I have now, but those were way-old brakes and don't really qualify. If all out power is your game, then the moto probably qualifies.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
For a bigger rider, the new Saints are hard to beat. Lighter riders complain about them being off/on, and some speak of going with smaller rotors. To me, this sounds like a crazy powerful brake, well suited to a big guy. Codes have some reliability issues (frequent bleeding, spongy lever feel, pretty hit-or-miss since a lot of people have zero problems with them). I've run Avid Juicy7s with great luck, but I am going with new Saint for the big bike.

Formula The One is super bling, and really light, but hard to get parts/pads for. Magura Gustav is heavy (like a tank) but has GOBS of stopping power. Both are $$$$. (Not that the Saints are cheap.)