Quantcast

Best DH Hubs

SthFRider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2008
Atlanta,Ga
Looking at upgrading my hubs. Seems like there are four major players in the hub department. Chris King, Hope, DT, and Hadley. What hubs do you run or suggest. Any company's hubs better than the other. Any info would be great. Cheers

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
or king, hadley, and i9 (their jbend hub is still one of if not the best hub on the market if you're not partial to their alu spoked wheels).

Hope workhorse 'nice' hubs, dt uses nice bearings and a rock solid star ratcheting system, and both are some of the lighter hubs on the market. Hopes are a little cheaper, and a little lighter, but both are pretty top notch for longevity.

King also makes top quality stuff, although it tends to be a little more maint (as far as their hubs go). If you're looking at the 150mm spaced hub, they seem to use a different chainline then everybody else in the industry, so there can be potential problems there. But they're very light (the lightest of the "nice engagement" hubs for the rear), they have really nice engagement (72pt), with occassional maint the hub will last forever and the bearings will always feel good. Other side note is that they're pretty set on being environmentally friendly as possible, and are the most green of any of those mentioned.

Hadley's are extremely well built, they'll last forever like a DT hub, they have 84pt engagement (very good), and they're quite light. They're slightly heavier then hope, king, and dt though).

I9's are heavier then hope and king, but lighter then hadley. They have the best engagement with 108 point. They use a proprietary spoke design that uses straight pull aluminum spokes to build what they claim is a stronger and stiffer wheel at a lighter weight. Since aluminum will fatigue, spokes will eventually go, and there have been complaints of that. Spoke tension is more crucial with them. If you're not a fan of the aluminum straight pull spokes, they make their hubs with jbend options.

These are my experiences and opinions. Others will disagree with them.

Honestly you really can't go wrong with any of them.

igz-

Monkey
Nov 30, 2008
Santa Cruz
They're all damn good. I would stay way from 150mm Hopes as the flange idea is pretty stupid imho...

DT 440's are bomb and rock solid. I have the 36pt ratchet in mine, 36 points of engagement is prime for DH, I couldn't see myself wanting anymore.

But as stated above, all damn good hubs.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
The new Profile hubs look pretty nice as well! All the ones you listed are great BTW.

http://www.profileracing.com/news_full.php?id=930

"The Profile Elite hubs are not available now, and will not be until approximately February 2010. They use a totally new 6 pawl driver, with 204 points of engagement. This is a more expensive hub for us to manufacture, because it required to design and build all new ratchet rings, pawls, springs, and drivers, as well as another hubshell.

Availability February 2010

Instant acceleration

Completely new driver design with 6 pawls and springs

Cassette hub has 204 points of engagement

Photo is of prototype. Production hubs will have matching cones and volcano bolt covers

Colors have yet to be determined

Pricing will be higher than the Mini and Totem hubs."

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
HADLEY - but keep in mind I sport an erection for Hadley hubs. 72pt engagement option and awesome construction/quality keeps me coming back to them, and is plenty of engagement for DH. Minimal weight penalty. If that really matters to you at the wheel hub, move along.

Hope's and DT's can be unreliable with less engagement, but they're light. Hope's are the cheapest of the bunch price-wise. Loud too if that's your thing. My 108pt Hadley sounds cooler though heh heh...

King engagement is awesome, but from what I've seen they can be finicky to keep tension on, and bearings are "hella" expensive.

The I9's traditional-spoke hubs intrigue me, but not enough to ditch the Hadleys for. I'd love to check them out.

Those Profiles really have my attention.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
I've been running hope hubs for 5 years now. I tried Ringle and Dt swiss and found no difference. the hope 150's build up a sturdy wheel, i had one last 3 seasons.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
HADLEY - but keep in mind I sport an erection for Hadley hubs. 72pt engagement option and awesome construction/quality keeps me coming back to them, and is plenty of engagement for DH. Minimal weight penalty. If that really matters to you at the wheel hub, move along.

Hope's and DT's can be unreliable with less engagement, but they're light. Hope's are the cheapest of the bunch price-wise. Loud too if that's your thing. My 108pt Hadley sounds cooler though heh heh...

King engagement is awesome, but from what I've seen they can be finicky to keep tension on, and bearings are "hella" expensive.

The I9's traditional-spoke hubs intrigue me, but not enough to ditch the Hadleys for. I'd love to check them out.

Those Profiles really have my attention.
Hadley....you nailed it.

I have a set of I-9's for AM use, and I love them. The quick engagement and stiffness are aweome. The I9's worry me for DH though. Alloy can work for a spoke, but too much sh*t can happen in real DH to destroy a wheel.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
They're all damn good. I would stay way from 150mm Hopes as the flange idea is pretty stupid imho...
So as long as they work they are still stupid because of their flange idea? I'm quite sure I don't ride mine on paper. They hold up great even with DT revolution spokes though I'm light so it may be thanks to that.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
My Hadleys have been nothing but trouble. Going back to something more reliable and 1/3rd of the price - Hope Pro 2s.

*cue fanboy bashing*

Dox

Monkey
Aug 26, 2009
Montreal, QC, Canada
+1 on Hope. Run my pro 2 all summer in 150X12 and they held up great with DT Revolution too. The engagement is not the best (24 pt.) but for the weight and price i think that they are tough to beat.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My Hadleys have been nothing but trouble. Going back to something more reliable and 1/3rd of the price - Hope Pro 2s.

*cue fanboy bashing*
Not gonna bash you, but I am going to mention one thing. Every single Hadley I have PERSONALLY seen with problems was a result of lack of regular maintenance. Hadley's need fairly regular service, not unlike a fork or a shock (but not as frequent, I clean and lube my Hadleys 2 or 3 times a year depending on how much I am riding, more if something goes wrong - I needed some extra maintenance on my rear DH hub this season... after 5 years of use the pawls needed to be replaced). FWIW I have 3.5 sets of Hadleys - the oldest is now 8 years, and they are all still going strong with no major issues (pawl replacement was the most major thing I've done, and I have 2 of the older 108pt freehubs).

That being said, I don't really think the OP could go wrong with any of those choices - they are all great hubs.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Perhaps it should just be a sticky?

I just did a ton of research and ended up narrowing it down to the usual suspects: Hope Pro 2, Hadley, I9. I decided to not consider CK because of the issues with the 150mm hub.

Hope - highly regarded, light, inexpensive. Only 24 pt engagement, but it is solid engagement. Possible issues with cassettes scoring the aluminum freehub shell. 135 and 150 hubs have identical flange spacing, which could make for a slightly weaker wheel than with the wider flanges of other 150 hubs. Loud. No, wait, LOUD.

I9 - super high number of engagement points. Expensive.

Hadley - superb customer service. Excellent engagement. Easy to service. A bit heavier, a bit more expensive than Hopes. Easy to service. Lots of anecdotal evidence of these things lasting 7-10 years.

In the end, I am going with Hadley.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I'm also pretty suprised someone had problems with DT's I have a rear wheel on my Trail/am bike and I'm pretty sure you the 7 year period of it working with no problems is quite enough to convince me.

SthFRider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2008
Atlanta,Ga
Looks like Hadley has some high reviews from people. Looking like i might go that route. Now I just gotta pick a color and find a bit more dough and i'll have a new set of hubs. Im thinking gold would be sweet. Thanks for all the help guys. Cheers

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I'd agree with that. Those are pretty hard to mess up, unless you are WTB and you think that 1/2" of lateral play at the rim is a benefit.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I like American Classic in the rear and Dimension up front. AmClassic is MUCH cheaper than CK, Hadley, DT. It's by FAR the lightest rear and I have no problems with flex, durability, or bearings. Dimension is pretty light, very cheap ($45), and gives no problems.

Last edited:

YoPawn

Chimp
Aug 13, 2009
For the people who got bunk Hadleys...

Didn't they send a bad batch to Australia. Seems like the Aussies are complaining about them the most. Every Hadley owner I know in the states is years of trouble free use. Me included.

Hope sent a bad batch of hubs to the USA. From what I hear, people with good ones have the best bearings off all the lighter hubs. Aluminum freewheel and loud ratchet noise turned me off.

If deciding which hubs to use, take the overall account into mind. Don't let one guy's review of the hub throwing him OTB and then screwing his girlfriend while he was in the hospital turn you off if there are many other reviews of it being flawless and buying you a beer after every ride.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI

CoyoteRun

Chimp
May 29, 2008
SF, CA
Loud is good, when there are trails and area always have hikers.

For the people who got bunk Hadleys...

Didn't they send a bad batch to Australia. Seems like the Aussies are complaining about them the most. Every Hadley owner I know in the states is years of trouble free use. Me included.

Hope sent a bad batch of hubs to the USA. From what I hear, people with good ones have the best bearings off all the lighter hubs. Aluminum freewheel and loud ratchet noise turned me off.

If deciding which hubs to use, take the overall account into mind. Don't let one guy's review of the hub throwing him OTB and then screwing his girlfriend while he was in the hospital turn you off if there are many other reviews of it being flawless and buying you a beer after every ride.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Is that like the "loud pipes save lives" arguments that the Harley guys make?

I don't think loud hubs really take the place of a a bit of trail courtesy, even though they might help, sometimes. I can guarantee that they will be obnoxiously loud all the time though.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Loud is good, when there are trails and area always have hikers.
in the case of hadleys, loud means "needs lubrication"

If I had gobs of money....

http://www.trueprecision.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TPC&Product_Code=300&Category_Code=MTB

That would be great on something like a silencer...no sound at all. w00dy has one on his single speed FQ and it's pretty neat.
I've seen those once or twice before - how exactly does their engagement system work?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
don't know for sure...it's a roller clutch, i think...not entirely unlike the unobtanium lahr CVT. he could probably explain it better than I ever could, but it's dead silent and INSTANT engagement...like no give in the chain before it's go time. Very cool with the belt drive he was/is running as there's no lash whatsoever. He had it on a chained hardtail before and it was just as good.

Just so hard to justify the cost though.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I have a review coming up on Kings, Hadleys, Hopes, Stealths, Industry Nine j-bend hubs, DT swiss 240s, and how they all compare. The stealths are pretty surprising, thats for sure!

SthFRider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2008
Atlanta,Ga
I have a review coming up on Kings, Hadleys, Hopes, Stealths, Industry Nine j-bend hubs, DT swiss 240s, and how they all compare. The stealths are pretty surprising, thats for sure!
Could you post a link to the review in this thread when you get the review up?

Last edited:

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I figured bearing quality, weight, build quality, performance, freehub, pretty colors, cost vs value, and e-boner value

shimzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz