Quantcast

Best DH Resort?

SASQUATCH-J

Chimp
Sep 30, 2003
NEDERLAND COLORADO
I dont go downhilling at a resort often so i am wondering which resort would be the best? Ive heard Breck and Winter Park have built new stuff and Vail's best trail from last year was closed. Their websites arent really of any use. what do you guys think?
SASQUATCH

thespackler

Chimp
Apr 21, 2004
SASQUATCH-J said:
I dont go downhilling at a resort often so i am wondering which resort would be the best? Ive heard Breck and Winter Park have built new stuff and Vail's best trail from last year was closed. Their websites arent really of any use. what do you guys think?
SASQUATCH
West= Whistler
Rockies = Keystone
East = Diablo

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
SASQUATCH-J said:
SASQUATCH
Hmmm... I haven't been up this year so I don't really know. I'll bet the guys over at Full Cycle might know a good direction to point you in...

:sneaky:

dream4est

Monkey
Jan 28, 2003
Full Trucker said:
Hmmm... I haven't been up this year so I don't really know. I'll bet the guys over at Full Cycle might know a good direction to point you in...

:sneaky:
yo evan i saw that you raced at t-ride. nice to see you are over the gunbarrel crash. good work.

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
winter park is getting there... they are doing a three year plan right now- and it's their first year. so i mean dont go expecting whistler yet but they are trying.

everyone is talking up silverton right now and i feel like aturd for not getting down there to check it out. maybe after i get out of summer classes.

vail and keystone are probably your best bets for "close to the front range" resort dh riding.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
WhiteRavenKS said:
<snip>

everyone is talking up silverton right now and i feel like aturd for not getting down there to check it out. maybe after i get out of summer classes.
Don't worry - they were still *skiing* 'til the end of June this year, and didn't even open to biking until the last week of July. :eek:

SASQUATCH-J

Chimp
Sep 30, 2003
NEDERLAND COLORADO
did keystone built some new stuff for this year? last year i went and was really unimpressed. vail beat the socks off it no question.
i dont trust full cycle guys. they couldnt pour piss out of a boot with directions on the heel.
thanks for the help

Silverton Mt

Chimp
Jun 29, 2004
Saw the dicussion here and had to chime in....Come on down this weekend to check out Silverton Mt. We are having a gravity fest where riders jude who wins. We cater to the hard core (advanced skier/snowboarder) and we are doing the same with the dh biking. We have a 27' gap, a number of tables, numerous drops. I think pictures show that our managemnet understand and enjoys downhillers unlike many other ski areas.http://www.silvertonmountain.com/gallery/album42
I mean, we let Bender build stunts.
Treat Silverton like you would a winter pow day, show up early, ride hard in the morning because we just afternoon thunderstorm. (We open and 8:45).

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Silverton Mt said:
Saw the dicussion here and had to chime in....Come on down this weekend to check out Silverton Mt. We are having a gravity fest where riders jude who wins. We cater to the hard core (advanced skier/snowboarder) and we are doing the same with the dh biking. We have a 27' gap, a number of tables, numerous drops. I think pictures show that our managemnet understand and enjoys downhillers unlike many other ski areas.http://www.silvertonmountain.com/gallery/album42
I mean, we let Bender build stunts.
Treat Silverton like you would a winter pow day, show up early, ride hard in the morning because we just afternoon thunderstorm. (We open and 8:45).
Dammit. You guys need to open up unguided skiing. :mad:

Silverton Mt

Chimp
Jun 29, 2004
Talk to the BLM. They have been done with the EIS for almost a year and we still don't have a permit. We needed to hire and market so this year will be guided only again but it is coming...

The downhilling is just on our private property so it has been nice to do what we know people want.

mountaingoat

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
Hell Paso Texas
Silverton is the shizznits.. Telluride next.. :nuts: I have not ridden other places but those are great.. We are goin this weekend to do the freeride fest in Silverton.. SICKNESS.. They have the BEST freeriding i have ever done..

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Silverton Mt said:
Talk to the BLM. They have been done with the EIS for almost a year and we still don't have a permit. We needed to hire and market so this year will be guided only again but it is coming...

The downhilling is just on our private property so it has been nice to do what we know people want.
Hey, mind if I send a link of this thread to the friggin' idiots at Steamboat ski area? If only they have the attitude like you guys do, Steamboat could be sooooo much more of a big bike place than it is (not) right now. There is an entire hillside called Pioneer ridge that could be turned into the sweetest of big bike trails (SS can testify to this), but isn't tapped due to the myopic and tight-assed thinking of the powers that be. They like to think they know what ppl want, but don't actually have a clue since none of them actually ride a bike. I mean, there are "working front derailleur" required, no bigger than 6" of travel, AND no faster than 25mph on the trail rules for anyone riding the gondi. I can ride a full rigid above 25 on most trails, let alone a 6" full squishy.

Edit: the link and this message was sent to the farking ideeots: "Check out what a progressive mountain is doing to attract winter AND summer customers. Maybe if the PTB actually DID what the resort offered, they'd understand what's cool and what's not."

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Pau11y said:
Hey, mind if I send a link of this thread to the friggin' idiots at Steamboat ski area? If only they have the attitude like you guys do, Steamboat could be sooooo much more of a big bike place than it is (not) right now. There is an entire hillside called Pioneer ridge that could be turned into the sweetest of big bike trails (SS can testify to this), but isn't tapped due to the myopic and tight-assed thinking of the powers that be. They like to think they know what ppl want, but don't actually have a clue since none of them actually ride a bike. I mean, there are "working front derailleur" required, no bigger than 6" of travel, AND no faster than 25mph on the trail rules for anyone riding the gondi. I can ride a full rigid above 25 on most trails, let alone a 6" full squishy.

Edit: the link and this message was sent to the farking ideeots: "Check out what a progressive mountain is doing to attract winter AND summer customers. Maybe if the PTB actually DID what the resort offered, they'd understand what's cool and what's not."
Doesn't the Boat lease FS land? I'd imagine that adds all kinds of red tape crap to building that Silverton doesn't need to consider.