Quantcast

Best DH tires to run with 823's tubeless? Butchers? DHF's? MM's?

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
I know a lot of you guys like your 823's so I thought this would be a good place to ask.

What tires are you running and like best? not only for performance but durability, how well it holds air, and has the least tendency to burp or rip off the rim.

I had 823's a few years ago and ran DHF's front and Rear but just curious what other options that are out there that would hopefully wear better

The ones I am most interested in are

Specialized Butcher 2.3's (i am running chunder/clutch combo now and love it)
Schwalbe muddy mary's
Conti Der keiser
And any new maxxis tires people have tried

The butchers would be ideal since they are fairly light and I can get them fairly cheap but I don't want to have any issues. I still am a bit hesitant about tubeless ever since I ripped a tire off the rim in a high speed corner.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Maxxis UST never fall off the rim but the sidewalls are a bit thinner than regular 2ply tires so I tend to cut 1-2 sidewalls / season.

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
Ive been running either Minion DHFs or Highrollers on my 823s.

I would however like to hear about how well double ply Specialized tires (Butcher and Hillbilly) hold up to use and abuse. I do run pretty high psi(usually in the 28-35psi range).

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
i used a butcher for the last two months on a 823, sealed with the gooey white stuff and it works fine. no sidewalls torn, no ripping off the rim.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Thanks guys,

I like how the butchers are a bit lighter. May have to see if they are back in stock and order a pair.

If not, DHF's are always a safe bet. I just wish they wore a bit better.

ustemuf

Monkey
Apr 8, 2010
Bay Area
anyone running the specialized hillbillys tubeless on 823s/deemax ??

i just got a set of 2.5's and i want to run them tubeless if i can. i'm running highroller in front/ highroller II in the rear right now.

Aug 4, 2008
Maxxis (UST and regular 2 ply are pretty much flaweless.

Schwalbe MM is great (maybe even better than Maxxis).

I had problems with burping when running presures below 30 front and 35 rear (I never burped front tire, tho).

I weigh 100 kilos.

phycoref

Chimp
Oct 6, 2010
Canada
Muddy Marys are really nice! I just switched to them from HR/ DHF and I like these a lot more. I have them on 823's with some stans and they seat up really well, no problems here for me or any of my friends running them.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
If you're going Maxxis, stick with regular wire bead models and throw some stans in there. EXO models seem solid too, but easier to puncture/cut. I'm in the minority here when I say the UST MODELS SUCK!!! I've put small rips in the bead running 823s and UST Minion/Highrollers. Stans sealant won't seal a ripped bead up if you're running tubeless...

I've had really good luck running Kaiser/Baron/RainKing Conti tires tubeless with Stans too...

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
If you're going Maxxis, stick with regular wire bead models and throw some stans in there. EXO models seem solid too, but easier to puncture/cut. I'm in the minority here when I say the UST MODELS SUCK!!! I've put small rips in the bead running 823s and UST Minion/Highrollers. Stans sealant won't seal a ripped bead up if you're running tubeless...
I'm with you 100% on that one. I had nothing but failure using Maxxis UST with 823's.

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
I have never used UST Maxxis DH tyres but of the 3 people I know that have they have all had problems with tearing the tyre at the bead, they all went back to using regular Maxxis tyres tubeless (All on 823s) and while there was the odd issue it was nothing like the problems with the UST versions.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
It happens to me but I'm 160-165lbs so it's not often - I can live with that. You say contis and non ust maxxis work better with that? Tempting!

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
I've used both Maxxis and Michelins on 823's. Both work well.

With some sealant you can get almost any tire to run tubeless on them. A little dish soap helps to set the beads on non tubeless tires.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
You say contis and non ust maxxis work better with that? Tempting!
yes, contis also work (rainkings a.k.a. barons on 823s with sealant) , they even seem to hold air better than the butchers, which i had to pump up every other week. both tires were mounted using a floor pump. no problems so far...

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
I've run all of the combos below with no prolems. Only flat I've ever gotten was when I ripped DH32 on a rock in Northstar. Caffelatex sealant closed the hole but I haven't run the tire since.

Hutchinson Barracuda (UST)
Various Michelins (UST)
Maxxis Minion DHF (UST)
Maxxis Minion DHF 2.7 (WB) did a week in Whistler with no flats
Conti Der Kaiser, hardest to seal up. Needed to leave them with a tube for a week. After they sealed they lost literally no air

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I've run all of the combos below with no prolems. Only flat I've ever gotten was when I ripped DH32 on a rock in Northstar. Caffelatex sealant closed the hole but I haven't run the tire since.

Hutchinson Barracuda (UST)
Various Michelins (UST)
Maxxis Minion DHF (UST)
Maxxis Minion DHF 2.7 (WB) did a week in Whistler with no flats
Conti Der Kaiser, hardest to seal up. Needed to leave them with a tube for a week. After they sealed they lost literally no air
Funny. I've tried all these bar the Contis. All of them sucked. All of them. Torn sidewalls, burping, chunks torn out of the tread. Suck suck suck.

It's still a mystery to me how anyone can get good mileage with tubeless on a DH bike ridden hard.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
They all went on tubeless perfectly well.

The soft compound Barracuda's were good for about 1 of shuttling before the center tread was gone. Forgot that I ripped a bunch of those down the center.

The rear Kaiser went bald after about 5 days of shuttling. Didn't really care for the spacing of the side knobs either. Grip wise the rubber is really good.

Everything else has been fine. I'm pretty heavy at 230 and run everything over. The Maxxis combo has been the great. The 3C 2.7 DHF's were great in Whistler.

I've never had a problem with burping and I run tubeless on every bike I have, even my road bike. I also tend to run a bit higher pressure to avoid blowing a tire or burping.

Funny. I've tried all these bar the Contis. All of them sucked. All of them. Torn sidewalls, burping, chunks torn out of the tread. Suck suck suck.

It's still a mystery to me how anyone can get good mileage with tubeless on a DH bike ridden hard.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
The OP keeps talking about 'saving weight' with the Butcher. But the DH Butcher weighs around 1300 g -- i.e. equal to or not much less than typical DH tires. Unless he means he wants to try the SX casing at 1000 g??

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Great advice! With a big enough compressor I think any DH tires will mount up to 823's tubeless.
You don't even need high pressure. That's for flimsy xc tires to pop into place. What I'm trying to convey is that dh tires are much more like car and motorcycle tires in that they're very rigid and go into position much easier because they're molded into roughly the shape they'll be run in and don't flop around like thinner tires, especially on a UST rim. Everybody seems to think that burly tires need burly pressure. The exact opposite is true.

That's just for getting them mounted. I'm just like big ted in that every single time I've tried to run tubeless, I rip up tires, regardless of brand. But they all mount up really easily.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
I have seen many posts saying they are around 1200 grams for the 2.35 DH casing and even sick lines has them around 1200 +/- 30 grams. The 2.35 SX casing tires I have now are even wider than 2.5 minions.

I ended up ordering a pair of butchers. I got them cheaper than one maxxis DHF. I have heard good things about them as well.

I guess I should add that wheelset I was going to buy ended up not being what I wanted in terms of hubs. Now I am back on the market. Thinking I9's set up tubeless with stans strips now... hmmmm....

Aug 4, 2008
I have mounted all my tubeless tires (Non UST): Maxxis, Schwalbe and Contis using nothing but sealant and floorpump.

I can get most of these tires mounted and pumped in under a minute.

Skill > Tech

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
have you been able to mount Schwalbe Muddy Mary, duel ply in the new Vertstar compound tubelessly?
I'm easily able to mount the MM Snake Skin verstar tubelessly with sealant and a floor pump, but the DP casing's sidewall is just too stiff and won't go onto/or sit close enough to the inner ledge thingy in my Deemax rims.

I even took it to a bike shop with the pressure pump and it still did nothing.

Aug 4, 2008
I have only owned gluey-gluey compound tires.

But the casing should be pretty similar, no? It is kinda rigid.

The technique that works for me is to pump with one hand, and try to find/close the biggest leak on the tire. With a bit of pushing and twisting, it catches the air in a couple of strokes or so. When it does, I just pump like mad until I get it to 20+ PSI.

Then I pump it to 50 or so, so it pops onto the rim, spin it around a bit so the sealant can seal the micro leaks. And its done.

Pretty simple once you get the hang of it.

Orangesicle

Chimp
Feb 16, 2011
Just ran the Butchers in a 2.3 after religiously running the Minion 2.5 DHF's front and rear.
They grip really well. No downside yet.
Mount to 823's with a floor pump no problem. Added one cup of Stan's.
But expect them to drool Stan's fluid for a day or so.
And they roll like stink! Seriously faster than the Minions.
They bump around a bit more with the same tire pressure and I run 28 front, 30 back.
Great on the rocks. Super drifty in the loose but way controllable.
I need to ride them a bit more to see where they let go.
Very happy with the first tryout.
After 3 runs in Santa Barabara, no signs of wear on them yet.