Quantcast

Best Fox Fork for a Specialized SX (not SX Trail)

JBling

Chimp
Nov 2, 2006
I'm seeking some help on what fork to purchase for a specialized SX. I've pretty much settled on the Fox brand but can't decide between the F100 and the Talas 32 or the Talas 36.

The SX has 4.2 inches of rear travel. The F100 has 3.9" of travel. Would that difference upset the geometry? I'm guessing not. Might a 120mm (4.7 inches) be better? Also, anyone freaked out by the F100 and the Talas 32 being quick release? Any other way to mount the wheel other than using a quick release on these forks?

I'm a 180lb rider who is not going ot be overly aggressive as injuries have about done me in. I plan to build up the frame to give me something to do while I recover from injury and hope to be able to ride it at some point.

Appreciate any help as i cant find much out there on builds for this bike.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
36 dialed down.
I am a member of the large mammal set. Its the only way to go.
20mm helps in keeping the front end stiff, which helps point the bike in the right direction.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
36 float. If you know what you're doing you can reduce it down to 3" and anywhere in between.

If that makes you nervous, then go talas. There's really no reason to spend the extra money unless you foresee yourself wanting to change the travel regularly.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
pikes and argyles work well too. 100mm argyle would be sweet, and a Pike goes from 140-95, that should work pretty well to. They're alot cheaper then the float and will get the job done very well.

But if you can afford it, lowered floats are pretty amazing.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I've got over 3 years' worth of ride time on the SX with a 32mm Talas R. On trails, you'll really like the extra inch of travel the Talas 32mm has over the Float. On dirt jumps and berms, you'll love the 90mm short travel option on the Talas. If you're like me, you'll never use anything besides 90 or 130mm.

The Talas really is a great fork that can do it all. A Talas 36mm, while not as smooth and plush as the 32mm, does give you a tad better geo for fast trail descents, and it's way stiffer. It also does 100mm pretty well at the jumps. If I was you, I'd go that route, and be happy with a Talas 36. Don't get a Float 36 since you cant adjust the travel on the fly. Nothing is lamer than having to pull your bike apart in order to ride something different.

I'm riding a Specialized 150mm travel dual crown (ec150 or something) on my SX at the moment, and the stem is way, way too long. However, the bike feels great with 6" forks out on the trails.

Don't forget, the SX has an insanely long wheelbase for how low it is (long size), and this makes it pretty key to have a fork you can shorten easily.

If you've got any more questions about this rad bike, don't hesitate to ask!

p.s. Buy some SX Trail chainstays asap. The stock SX stays aren't the strongest, and the Trail chainstays are only $90. Small price for safety!

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
p.s. Buy some SX Trail chainstays asap. The stock SX stays aren't the strongest, and the Trail chainstays are only $90. Small price for safety!
Thanks for your good advices a few weeks ago mr herbsman, just got mine built up this Saturday and lovvit! Well, the little I tried it anyways, before I got to hot headed and fell, with my bad knee and all, and combat rolled my ass right on a rock. Didn't get much sleep that night because of that. :banana:

Had a meniscus operation yesterday so I'll be really passive for the next two weeks or so. I bet waiting for D-day wasn't close to as tough as what my wait is going to be..

About the SXT stays, I know you tried them, obvoiusly, but they're like 4-5mm longer than the SX's. Don't you have any issues at all because of that, fitting or while riding?

JBling, definately get a fork that's adjustable. Or have two forks.

JBling

Chimp
Nov 2, 2006
Thank you all for the responses. I'll be looking for a Talas 36 as I have no clue how to change the travel on a float.

Bikenweed - Can you post your build? I'm looking for ideas.

Thx again

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I've got an SX with a 32 Talas on the front. I absolutely love it but I'd go with a 36 Talas instead. It will handle all your pump track/trail needs plus all the rocky/rooty descents you can throw at it. Plus the adjustable travel is a must have for this bike. Feel free to ask me any more questions you may have. This bike is truly a great one!

pbskis14

Chimp
Apr 24, 2003
I have an '06 SX with a RS Pike w/ U-turn and dual air. Works awesome, drop it to 110 for dual racing and increase it to 125-140mm for trail riding. Nice to have on-the-fly travel adjustment. I was never a fan of the older Uturns (plastic knob and never seemed to work) but the newer pikes have a nice metal knob and also a 20mm Maxel quick release (no tools required). Fox forks are nice, but I've never been a fan of messing with the internals.

-Pete

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
I'll let the other guys tell you what the best FOX fork is for the SX.

However, the BEST fork for the SX is the Pike. That's the only fork I would consider, and is what I have on mine. I have a 36V on my SXT so I'm not anti-Fox.