Quantcast

Best freeride frames under 1,300

Oct 24, 2006
Well, I know the winter build is a little late... but I was just trying to get a list of a lot of good freeride frames under 1,300. Basically the Bottlerocket is at the top of my list and that is the most I want to spend on a frame. I'm open to any company as long as its got good specs and geos. Cheaper the better but of course I want it to be nice.

I'm 5'11" 210#
Going to be doing urban riding like hucks and stuff.
Freeriding at homemade parks as well as MTN bike parks.
Drops... size depending on what i feel comfy with.

Ive been riding for a year, but dirtbiking since I was 9. (I'm 17) so I'm pretty good on a bike.

So let's see em... thanks for any help, pictures, and prices.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
dirt bag if you want more travel than a bottle rocket
blitz 2
bullit
Not sure what the Iron Horse 7Point costs, but if you can get one under $1300, then it's an awesome frame. Definitely look at the Transition Dirtbag frame, and particularly the Versus Blitz II frame. Don't forget about the Yeti AS-X frame as well. And if I'm not mistaken, the Cove G-Spot os right around $1300 as well.

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
I belive the new BigHit frames are around 1100 US. They should be a sweet bike. I had a 03 bighit and it was great other then the 24 rear wheel - and thats gone from the new frames.

spa69

Chimp
May 29, 2005
get a transition, you be happy.i recommend getting a dirt bag a little more travel then the bottlerocket , have ridden both(own a dirtbag)but for the money you be silly not to buy a transition.great costumer service.

Oct 24, 2006
oohhh that closeout looks tasty. i can get a 7.5 complete (2006) for 1,800 complete. Comes with parts like 5th Element, boxxer team u turn, fsa cranks.. pretty much the stock package (msrp 3,000) brand new. But I really want the transition as like you said the replacement program and so on is priceless.

but I know theres more out there like the trek session, giant, kona... and ive looked at these but it just seems like i want to break my bank for some reason

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
yeti asx is a great bike, i liked it better than the transition dirtbag i rode. it feels a little better, but i haven't ridden the newly redesigned dirtbag for 07. as a result of the test on both bikes, i ended up buying the asx, and couldn't be happier. it's a really fun ride, especially if you want the versatility of being able to trail ride and ride downhill just by swapping shoes, changing pedals, lowering tire pressure and backing off the propedal on the shock. i ride an e13 DRS for the extra versatility, and it has made the bike the most versatile thing i have ridden. actually, my friend is actually getting the 7.5 from rscycle.com with the same deal you saw, that has got to be one of the better deals i've seen through an online shop.

Oct 24, 2006
Basically what I have come down to is...

This Dirtbag build, with my parts, but having a 66 on it much like this one. Frame Price= $699

Or this 7.5, exact build as this.

Which one would I like best?

Sep 8, 2004
7point or Dirtbag, both are gold. I've got an 06 7point7 and it rides like a dream. On the other hand... I've seen plenty of dirtbags on the trail, and haven't heard a complaint once. Transition makes some top notch stuff.

What parts would you put on the dirtbag? Would the build be comparable to the 7point?

I think overall build might be a deciding factor in this race.

-James.

Oct 24, 2006
7point or Dirtbag, both are gold. I've got an 06 7point7 and it rides like a dream. On the other hand... I've seen plenty of dirtbags on the trail, and haven't heard a complaint once. Transition makes some top notch stuff.

What parts would you put on the dirtbag? Would the build be comparable to the 7point?

I think overall build might be a deciding factor in this race.

-James.
the dirtbag is gonna get built with stuff from my other bike. Mavic disc rear rim, azonic hub, wtb superduty tires, azonic hotseat, marz 66 vf2, wtb superduty front rim, hayes mags with BFL's and goodrich lines (may get regular lines and set em up for xups if the goodridge dont fit. and some type of bar/stem. probably both diety. truative hussefelt cranks, e13 bash, e13 ring.

i think the list on the dirtbag may have done the 7.5 in? what do ya say:nopity:

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
Santa Cruz Bullit. The new frames have some awesome features and powder coated they are under 1200.00

I know the Bottle Rocket and Dirt Bag are cool frames as well as the 7.5 but the Bullit is a classic. Wheelworld is also blowing out Kona Stinky frames for about the same price as that Dirtbag. Versus frames were being blown out but not sure what they have left.

The Dirtbag and the Versus Blitz are pretty heavy frames. Over 11 pounds if I'm not mistaken.

Sep 8, 2004
Yeah, its looking like with that build the dirtbag will be a no-brainer. Good build, and super cheap! You'll enjoy it.

-James.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
I'm stoked with my YETI ASX.Pedels better than a Bullit.I have a Woodman bolt-on hub for extra stiffness for the swingarm.
Also a little bit of adjustability too from 6.5"-7.25" via that swing link.

Lot's of other great bikes out there though !!

May 1, 2006
The ADK's
going to vote for the Dirtbag, ive owned 2 of them and they rock, no problems, a solid bike that handles it all. Great bike Great company, my looking starts and ends with Transition Bikes.

Oct 9, 2006
I have a Trek Session 77 with the Travis 203 on the front and have to say it is one awesome bike..not to mention if you are in good with your shop they can get you some amazing deals on them...Since I got mine(i work at a shop)I have put five other people on them after they rode mine...it has to be one of the most underrated bikes on the market right now. I use mine for down hill mostly but do ride it freeride style at our local FR park.

me_versus_u

Chimp
Feb 4, 2007
I've owned many specialzed and just recently switched to the blitz II and the ride is awesome. I'm also 6'2" and 220 lbs. The 3 bikes I narrowed it down to were the titus supermoto, nomad and the blitz. I decided against the supermoto because the interrupted seat post, the nomad had massive flex at the bottom bracket but the blitz II had no flex while pounding the flats and I can raise the seat post all the way for all mountain riding.Forum pics.jpg

forum pic.jpg

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
I've owned many specialzed and just recently switched to the blitz II and the ride is awesome. I'm also 6'2" and 220 lbs. The 3 bikes I narrowed it down to were the titus supermoto, nomad and the blitz.
How is a blitzII less than $1300? Msrp is $1600. The 7 point frame is also over 1300 msrp