Quantcast

Best Hangover Remedies?

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
Not that most people have access to; or the knowledge to hook it up...but when I was a medic in the Army, myself and some of the other medics (stationed in Germany=extra special hangovers!) would help each other out by hooking up an I.V. of 1000ml of D5W. Basically a mixture of saline, electrolytes and sugar water. Hands down the best remedy I ever knew.

Next to that, Gatorade, Advil and toughing it out.:redhot:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Brian HCM#1 said:
You going to Philly Cheese Steak Shop? That place kicks ass!!!!!
I. B. Hoagies (or something like that), I work in Oaktown, but if you are talking about the place on Divisadero in SF I totally agree. Ok, it's lunch time...

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Grease helps, I have no idea why.

I vote for Wafflehouse. Hashbrowns covered and smothered, eggs, and bacon. That or a patty melt plate.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
I didn't know the grease remedy either. My sollution has just been to take a few advil and barf everything out of my system and then go about my day. Preferably before work or class back when I was in college.

On a side note: a hang over isn't usually as bed when you wake up w/ a pretty girl next to you.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
OGRipper said:
Rough morning after a fun night last night - an evil mix of gin, wine and scotch - so let's hear 'em. :dead: :dead:
A solid bike ride can help. If you pound a couple liters of water the night before, or during the hangover, it helps more than anything. I've had good luck with smoking a bowl or five the next morning, that usually takes your mind off the pulsating brain pain.

nmjb

Monkey
Apr 26, 2005
Idyllwild, CA
jimmydean said:
I take 2 asprin and a lot of water before bed, followed by a large greasy spoon style breakfast.
This has always worked for me.

I have always wondered if those "anti-hangover" pills that are advertised work...

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Hydration is the key. Drink a couple of quarts of water before you go to bed and it iwll alleviate most of the problems.

Although you may still wake up drunk, nothing to be done about that. :p

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
bikenweed said:
A solid bike ride can help. If you pound a couple liters of water the night before, or during the hangover, it helps more than anything. I've had good luck with smoking a bowl or five the next morning, that usually takes your mind off the pulsating brain pain.
This has worked for me numerous times. Any real physical activity actually, I think you just need to sweat the devil's juice out of you. It's hard to get motivated but afterwards you'll feel better, you might have to nap first.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Hydration is the key.
Actually, spinach is the key. Well, it was for a couple of weekends in the house of 4 dudes that I lived in. Someone heard a crazy idea that finishing off a hard night of drinking with some spinach was the ultimate hang over cure. We decided to test this theory. Somewhere there is video footage of my good friend, completely drunk to the point of no return, drinking straight vodka from a pint glass and chowing down on some spinach.

That theory was quickly proven wrong and we moved on...

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
How do all you people drink a couple of quarts of water before bed? I mean if I'm drinking enough to get really good and drunk (especially if I'm drinking beer) there is no more room in my guts for more liquid. If I drink that much water on top of all that I'm gonna hurl.

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
jdschall said:
How do all you people drink a couple of quarts of water before bed? I mean if I'm drinking enough to get really good and drunk (especially if I'm drinking beer) there is no more room in my guts for more liquid. If I drink that much water on top of all that I'm gonna hurl.
Beer is a little different story, but I usually go to be a few hours after my last drink. A liter or so of water usually does the trick. Greasy food just makes you feel a little better, but hydration the next morning is just as important. A nice hike with a dh bike does wonders, although breathing stale booze into a fullface can be vomit inducing...so leave the helmet on the handlebars for the hike.

I usually skirt the issue by sleeping through the hangover or making sure I wake up good and drunk, that way you're so happy to be sober you don't care about being hungover.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
jdschall said:
You've just gotta suck it up, man. It really is the most effective prevention. The problem I have is remembering to do it...

Grease (and all fats) do seem to help once you have a hangover but they also are actually very good at preventing one. Grease/fat in your stomach slows down your digestion (material passing into your intestine where alcohol is absorbed the fastest) and hence any alcohol that happens to be there at the same time is absorbed slower by your body, giving your system more time to deal with it.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Coffee with a good stiff shot of Baileys will fix you right up. My co worker swears by menudo, the food, not the boy band. But maybe I should double check with him :rolleyes:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The Toninator said:
uhh how old are you?
Old enough to know better, young enough to get too knackered now and then anyway. :)

The line at the cheesesteak place was too big so I went for a bacon cheeseburger with fries...feeling much better.

And I understand water - after the first two or three drinks I get a water between each that follows. In this case I think it was just the mix of different alcohols - gin, wine, and scotch - as well as the fairly large amount compared to the relatively small amounts I've been drinking lately.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
jdschall said:
Grease helps, I have no idea why.

I vote for Wafflehouse. Hashbrowns covered and smothered, eggs, and bacon. That or a patty melt plate.
second the wafflehouse motion, my vote goes for the ham and cheese omelette with hashbrowns all the way.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Changleen said:
You've just gotta suck it up, man. It really is the most effective prevention. The problem I have is remembering to do it...

Grease (and all fats) do seem to help once you have a hangover but they also are actually very good at preventing one. Grease/fat in your stomach slows down your digestion (material passing into your intestine where alcohol is absorbed the fastest) and hence any alcohol that happens to be there at the same time is absorbed slower by your body, giving your system more time to deal with it.
yesterday night, i was up with a few friends drinking a lot of danzka... no hangover at all today. but i woke up at 5am dead thirsty, a ice cold gatorade then, and another one at 8am did the trick.

i always try to drink johnnie walker or tanqueray... i dont get hangovers from those, just the usual morning thirst.....

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
1 litre of cranberry juice (not that cocktail crap), 2 eggs scrambled, and 2 aspirin. Not sure why but it does the trick everytime. Sex works pretty good too.

What ever you do chug watter befor going to sleep then
Best option: Drink enough to wake up drunk
2nd Best option: Get up an hour or two befor you really have to get up and drink a few more glasses of watter. Then go back to sleep till you actually need to be awake.
3rd best option: Get on your bike and do 10 minutes of sprints, its hurts and sucks at the time but soon after your heart rate drops back down you'll feel awsome.
Asprin, Advil, and any painkillers are a bad idea, their the easy way out and hell on your liver after beating on it all night with alcohol.

Has anyone been numb drunk past 6pm the following night, thats my record.