Quantcast

Best Heavy Duty Rotors? (e-bike related)

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Hey @mykel , were/are you running those hope floaters? I'm thinking about getting a set for overseas trips (Whistler trips, really). They'd be 225mm, so good for more power and better heat dissipation.

Any feedback in terms of longevity? I have heard that play between the braking surface and carrier develops, not so keen on that.

Any other insights also welcome!

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Only negative I can see for non-motorbikers is quite heavy for 2 piece compared to regular.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
My understanding is that the new thicker rotors designed for Ebikes need a wider caliper to go with them. TRP makes an ebike caliper and thicker rotor, btw.
I have Hope rotors on mine and they hold up well. We put 225mm Hope rotors on my 68yr old Mom’s eMTB with great success. (I no longer hear complaints about brakes every other day.).
I didn't see this the first time...Can I ask what adaptor you used?

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Yes
And on the rear too as i wanted MOAR BRAKZ
Yeah, 225mm front and rear is totally baller. Problem for me is the Boxxer is a PM 6 mount, and the closest I can find is a Formula PM6 to 220mm. I don't mind spacing it out, but a proper mount would be better.

What's your bike?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I didn't see this the first time...Can I ask what adaptor you used?
I stacked a Formula adapter on top of a Shimano adapter. Kinda ghetto but it’s working.
On my DH bike (most ridden bike gets the best parts) I got a friend to make me a one piece adapter to go straight to 225mm. I had to use a spacer depending on 220, 223 or 225mm discs. We made it real stiff to avoid any howling/vibrations. Spacing gets tricky with big discs. Not every combo is compatible.
C2626FFE-950D-491D-BF28-4182B138B4FE.jpeg

Last edited:

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
I stacked a Formula adapter on top of a Shimano adapter. Kinda ghetto but it’s working.
On my DH bike (most ridden bike gets the best parts) I got a friend to make me a one piece adapter to go straight to 225mm. I had to use a spacer depending on 220, 223 or 225mm discs. We made it real stiff to avoid any howling/vibrations. Spacing gets tricky with big discs. Not every combo is compatible.
Thanks very much. Your custom job is pretty cool.

I'm thinking about getting someone to make a 225mm adaptor, but depending on the cost, stacked adaptor, or 220mm adaptor plus spacer might be it.

Is that a TRP R1 rotor? 2.3mm thick?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Thanks very much. Your custom job is pretty cool.

I'm thinking about getting someone to make a 225mm adaptor, but depending on the cost, stacked adaptor, or 220mm adaptor plus spacer might be it.

Is that a TRP R1 rotor? 2.3mm thick?
You’re welcome!
Yes, that’s a thick TRP rotor. My Hope discs were rubbing the rivets on the adapter.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Cool, that's good to know.

I've just changed to ECT pistons and seals on my Formula Ones, and there is a lot more piston rollback. Enough room to potentially get thicker rotors and the R1s caught my eye. I'll have to measure of course.

Anyway, thanks very much for all the info8-)