Quantcast

best lubes?

mr_dove

Monkey
Jan 18, 2002
Denver, CO
what's the best lube to use on my bike? I checked some past posts and the only thing dicussed was that WD-40 is NOT a lubricant.

What should I use?

There's a gallon of Pedro's Synlube on e-bay for $24. Should I go for that?

Dark Helmet

Chimp
Mar 18, 2002
So Cal
Originally posted by mr_dove
what's the best lube to use on my bike? I checked some past posts and the only thing dicussed was that WD-40 is NOT a lubricant. What should I use?
I've always used and really like Boeshield's T9 lube, check them out...
http://www.kanza.com/boeshield/
You should be able to order from most online retailers and some LBS's.

gtbike

Chimp
Nov 3, 2001
I live in Surprise, Arizona
the best lube I have ever used. They just started carrying it at my shop and am not sure if its avail everywhere.
We got lots of dust here and it will knock the crap out of most any lube. This d-tech stuff comes in a small bottle (perfect for the camelback)is green and doesn't attract dust.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Tri-flow, in the little drip bottle.

Finish Line synthetic grease.

Simple Green, to clean it all up.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
ProLink for the chain, wax like White Lightning for pedal cleat interface, anti-seize for threaded bits and posts. Some kind of "bicycle" grease for other bearings, slick honey for bushings and air shocks.

Originally posted by Yuornamehere..
white lightning
Is onea my faverate bike lubs, but it leaves a waxie build-up wat chu gots ta remove wit some kinda tool from times ta time.
WD-40's name stands fer "Water Displacement formula #40" It was invented ta keep and/or remove moisture from electrical connections. It will work as a pennatrating oil, but is piss pore as a rust preventative or lubercant.

intensebike

Chimp
Feb 28, 2002
North East
I agree, Tri-Flow and Pro-Link are the best chain lubes. Have used both, and am currently using Tri-Flow. As for grease, Finish Line grease is my pick. Stay away from White Lightning...it doesn't do nearly as a good as job as the others i mentioned, and cakes up fast in the bottles.

I've used White Lightning for several years now. Yeah, you do need to shake it up before you use it. Basically, it is a solvent base with solid particulate lubricant. The solvent evaporates and leaves the solid lubricant on your chain. The solvent also transports the solid lubricant to the internals of the chain as well.

Most of the teflon/ptfe type lubes separate over time so its always a good idea to give them a good shake before you use them.

I will give the ProLink and TriFlow a try on my chains when I run out of WL. I already use another TriFlow product on toys other than bikes and it does work great.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Oh and very important. DO NOT use a petroleum based lube on plastic shifters. It can cause the plastic to swell and seize the part permanently. I greased a SRAM shifter...once.

Mtn Pete

Chimp
Apr 19, 2002
Boston
Finish line dry its in the bottle with the red cap. Or tri flo for the mud runs. White lighting is awaful, especially for 9spd.

oldfart said:
...anti-seize for threaded bits and posts... ...slick honey for bushings and air shocks.
The anti-sieze is specifically useful where dissimilar metals meet, steel bolt in aluminum threads, etc. Not sure it gives you any advantage for, say, aluminum seatpost in aluminum frame.

Why slick honey as opposed to anti-sieze for bushings?

J

trailpoacher

Chimp
Aug 19, 2004
Australia
White Lightning applied to a freshly cleaned chain.

dont apply lube onto a dirty chain. it will just attract more grit.

If you dont own a chain cleaner by now I suggest you get one.

I use the Finish Line chain cleaner. When I drop it and the plastic breaks I call them up and they send me a new one no questions asked.
same thing with the white lightning.
if I have a problem with the older formula that clogged and gummed up I call them up and they send me 2004 white lightning formula. the 04 kicks a$$!

fatpandas

Chimp
Sep 8, 2004
atlanta
i have started using finish line krytech wax lube on my chain, and its great, put a drop on each link spin a few times, let it dry, then wipe off the excess. runs great and stays so clean you can grab the chain days later and your hands won't be black.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
for chains I now use Dumonde Tech light - best lube I've used. The Pro tech was collecting way too much junk and casuing my E13 rollers to crack.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Rock N Roll lube for the chain. Anything else is just crap in comparison...but Pro-Link is the least crappy of all the other crap.