Quantcast

Best mechanic's stand & basic tool set for the beginner mechanic?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
As a long time home mechanic (I do virtually all my own work, always have) my one piece of advice is: Don't buy cheap tools! In the end it just costs you in frustration and hours of time trying to replace that odd sized nut you just threaded or rounded out. Park are good, but there are a load of brands of high quality stuff for non-bike specific stuff. However N8, since you have a bit of coin, just get one of the nice Park tool kits off the shelf. Why fvck around?

Oh, I don't use a stand either. I like to sit on the floor when wrenching, your miles may vary.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i'll buy Craftsman before i buy Park. i like some Pedro's stuff more than Park...like the T-handle hex wrenches. Pedro's has one that comes with a T-25, which i think is damn handy.

for a crank puller, i have become really fond of Campagnolo's one. we charge $50 for it, though.

i like Shimano's external bb tool more than Park's.

Pedro's chaintool is badass. Park's isn't as chunky.

i like the Shimano Dura-Ace hanger alignment gauge.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Park makes crappyass stands, pumps, tire levers, and cassette tools.

I am very fond of their three ways, cone wrenches, and headset press, however. I really love Pedros t-handles and tire levers...But in all honesty, except for things like allens and headset presses, Lifu gets the job done.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
The Lifu chain tool is bar none the best investment you can make for your bike. At the shop where I used to wrench we went through about 5 of the really pricey Parks in the first 6 months I was there. Then I came up with the idea of just getting a stack of Lifus and saving a buck or two. Anyway long story short, the first Lifu lasted for well of 18 months and retail on it was only $5.

Park makes a few nice things, but the rest is overpriced CRAP!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
no one's mentioned a vital piece of kit yet...the shimano cable cutter. way better than the park model. essential in any tool box.

i've had great luck w/ the handled hex wrench set i got from pedro's...2/2.5/3/4/5/6mm good stuff.

n8, make sure you get a good crank puller and chain tool as well.

changleen, how can you work on the front of a bike w/o a stand?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Good set of allen wrenches, a rubber mallet, some cable cutters and a multi tool. You're set.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
narlus said:
no one's mentioned a vital piece of kit yet...the shimano cable cutter. way better than the park model. essential in any tool box.
I use a pair of lineman pliers and a nail if needed. Mine have a nice crimper too so I can attach the little end cap with the same tool.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
narlus said:
I just set it against a wall, turn it upside down, whatever. I used a stand for a while, but I just prefer not to. Maybe a really nice heavy-ass wall mount stand would be cool...

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Westy said:
As far as allen wrenches go a set of Bondhus will last forever.

Yep I second that! :D

N8 it sounds like both our mechanics must have trained at the same place..... Mine seized the carbon seat post in the frame at the wrong hight for me (2 inches too high) and didn't tighten the rear X.0 derailier to the frame.

I was in such a hurry the day before the race I didn't check the bike over and was so busy trying like hell to fix the seat post before the race (didn't manage to shift it to the right hight before the race) that I didn't have time to inspect anything else on the bike. So it was ghost shifting right from the start line and then 14km in it thru itself through the spokes. totally destroying it. Lot's of sharp carbon scattered over the track. :(

I ran and coasted the remaining 20km to the finish. :nopity:

J

JRB

narlus said:

i've had great luck w/ the handled hex wrench set i got from pedro's...2/2.5/3/4/5/6mm good stuff.

n8, make sure you get a good crank puller and chain tool as well.

I have Nashbar cable cutters that were like $12 that have harder blades than Shimano. I have cut cables and housing and everything is still super sharp.

fubar5

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
Houston, TX
DaveW said:
Yep I second that! :D

N8 it sounds like both our mechanics must have trained at the same place..... Mine seized the carbon seat post in the frame at the wrong hight for me (2 inches too high) and didn't tighten the rear X.0 derailier to the frame.

I was in such a hurry the day before the race I didn't check the bike over and was so busy trying like hell to fix the seat post before the race (didn't manage to shift it to the right hight before the race) that I didn't have time to inspect anything else on the bike. So it was ghost shifting right from the start line and then 14km in it thru itself through the spokes. totally destroying it. Lot's of sharp carbon scattered over the track. :(

I ran and coasted the remaining 20km to the finish. :nopity:

Sounds like the shop owes you a derailleur and some spokes to me.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Westy said:
As far as allen wrenches go a set of Bondhus will last forever.
Yep. I have the ball-end set that also included a folding set. I have built more bikes than I can remember with them.

I've been collecting bike-related tools for over 20 years. Everything purchased as I needed it. About the only jobs I farm out are facing, bottom bracket chasing and wheel building (I can build wheels, but not often enough to be good at it).

For a stand, I have a Park PRS-5 folding race stand. The "Pro" model they don't sell anymore. It wasn't cheap: $275 back in '98 - but it's held everything from 15 lb track bikes to 50+ lb DH bikes. Comes with a bag and folds into a portable and easy to store size. It was the first stand I ever bought. Buy it once and be done. Towards the end of my racing career I came this >< close to buying the full-on plate based shop stand for the home. No need now.

I don't buy cheap tools. Been burned too many times. Especially when working on cars where the forces tend to be alot greater and a broken tool means pain, or worse... Then again, I've also gotten to the point where I walk through Sears and don't see anything I need anymore... The Snap-on catalog and a couple of other pro-tool sites get my money now... :dead:

The Nashbar kit looks like a good place to start if you have nothing. However, if something breaks or fits badly, toss it and get the Park or Shimano version. Don't replace it with some cheap POS tool a dozen times. JMNSHO, that's an exercise in frustration. Having nice tools, a good stand, and an organized, well-lit work area will make it a pleasure to work on your bikes.