Quantcast

Best Method For removing a Michelin 2.8 DH Tire From Rim?

ballaholyk84

Monkey
Aug 24, 2007
Beaverton, OR
I am having the toughest time trying to remove this tire from the rim. I have tire levers and everything but this thing seems so stiff and dont wanna come off.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Leave it in the house or in the sun to warm up. They are a lot easier when the tire is warm.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
make sure that the bead of the tire is not locked into the channel in the rim.......pinch the beads of the tire towards the middle of the rim(this part is called the drop center) this area of the rim has a smaller overall circumference which will give you more room to get the tire off.......unless you're using some strange rim/tube you should be able to get those tires on and off without levers

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Ditch Witches are a bitch anyway. They are the worst I have ever mounted tires on.

Like has been said, make sure the tire is centered in the rim channel and then start working. Take some dish soap and coat the bead, but keep your hands as dry as possible to start. The lubricant will make all things seem possible.

beamer

Chimp
Sep 13, 2005
Springville, Utah
My Mobsters are a pain as well. I've broken several tire levers. Get a couple of wide headed screwdrivers and material from some old jeans to put between your rim and the screwdriver. Then go to town, but be careful about OJ-ing your tube.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
If Steve White at Michelin can dake a DH3 Mud off a Rhyno Lite with nothing but 2 thin yellow plastic Michelin tire levers I think you can get that 2.8 off pretty easily.

Stand with the tire leaned against your legs and the valve stem at the 12 oclock position. Start at the valve stem. Push the tire into the center of the channel in the rim on the side closest to the ground opposite the valve stem. If you do it opposite this way, the valve stem will not allow the tire to drop into the channel.

Once you've pushed the tire into the channel...PULL the tire UP and the rim DOWN...then pop the tire off the bead at the valve stem with two levers side by side. Leave 1 lever in the bead.

Now push the tire opposite the bead back down into the channel and pull the tire toward the valve stem. Work your way around...pushing the tire into the channel and PULLING the slack toward you at the valve stem. Go less than inch away from the 1st lever still in the tire and leverage a fraction of tire off the rim.

Repeat pushing the tire into the channel and pulling the slack toward the valve stem several times. Only try to go less than inch away from your last section of tire. Sometimes only a half inch of tire popped off followed by a few good pushes into the channel and tugs on the tire will give you that extra slack for a few more millimeters of work.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I really wish it were always as easy for me as it seems to be for everyone else, I resorted to buying a cheap flat blade screwdriver, pounding the end into a slight hook and filing off the sharp corners, I'd call it a poor man's pedro's lever. Yes you can tell where I've used the tool to pry tires off the rim, but I try to pry in the same place every time so that the rim isn't totally hammered. Sun rims, especially the older flat profile rims, can be near impossible to get tires off of.

I wish someone made a hardened steel lever like the park lever but longer so you could hook it on the spokes when working the second lever around the wheel. I wonder if I could use this laser cutter I've got lying around and that press brake over there to come up with something???

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Bizutch has it right.

Also, thin/stiff tire levers help. I use Mavic levers, they get under the bead better. I find them much more useful then giant metal moto levers.

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
I'm not trying to be a dick but I've never unerstood how it's hard to get tires off. I haven't used a tire iron in about 5 years now. It's not difficult if you work it into the center of the rim and keep it there. I'm not kidding when I say it's easier without tire irons. Use your thumbs to work it down and pull the tire away from where you just came from. when you get to the last bit use your palms and a rolling motion to get it off. I've done Michelins, Nokians, Minions, Highrollers, Big Earls, Nevegals, road tires, bmx tires, etc. like this on every rim you can imagine including arrows which are the hardest out there. Oh and for gods sake DO NOT post any more threads asking how to get tires off a rim. Regardless of the model and brand the advice will always be the same.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
. I'm not kidding when I say it's easier without tire irons.
That's true for a lot of tires. It does take a lot of practice to get good at it. Working at a bike shop for years with lots of road tires helps.

However, some manufactures have developed crappy rim profiles that allow the tire bead to slip off frequently. To solve this problem, the simply make the rim diameter a tiny bit bigger. This makes tire install and removal a bitch. Tioga DH rims did this. They were my first DH rims and I didn't know any better. I went on for 2 years thinking DH where just REALLY hard to change.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
That's true for a lot of tires. It does take a lot of practice to get good at it. Working at a bike shop for years with lots of road tires helps.

However, some manufactures have developed crappy rim profiles that allow the tire bead to slip off frequently. To solve this problem, the simply make the rim diameter a tiny bit bigger. This makes tire install and removal a bitch. Tioga DH rims did this. They were my first DH rims and I didn't know any better. I went on for 2 years thinking DH where just REALLY hard to change.
I remember helping a SRAM tech at a National try to get a Tioga DH tire off a Tioga rim. We snapped two screwdrivers...and wound up just borrowing someone elses wheel!

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
If Steve White at Michelin can dake a DH3 Mud off a Rhyno Lite with nothing but 2 thin yellow plastic Michelin tire levers I think you can get that 2.8 off pretty easily.

Stand with the tire leaned against your legs and the valve stem at the 12 oclock position. Start at the valve stem. Push the tire into the center of the channel in the rim on the side closest to the ground opposite the valve stem. If you do it opposite this way, the valve stem will not allow the tire to drop into the channel.

Once you've pushed the tire into the channel...PULL the tire UP and the rim DOWN...then pop the tire off the bead at the valve stem with two levers side by side. Leave 1 lever in the bead.

Now push the tire opposite the bead back down into the channel and pull the tire toward the valve stem. Work your way around...pushing the tire into the channel and PULLING the slack toward you at the valve stem. Go less than inch away from the 1st lever still in the tire and leverage a fraction of tire off the rim.

Repeat pushing the tire into the channel and pulling the slack toward the valve stem several times. Only try to go less than inch away from your last section of tire. Sometimes only a half inch of tire popped off followed by a few good pushes into the channel and tugs on the tire will give you that extra slack for a few more millimeters of work.

i actually helped mr. white install and remove some system wheels a few years back because his bear paws were just too weak....he couldn't believe his eyes when i popped on a tire on that he and everyone else was wrestling with for hours in less than 30 seconds.....those were the days

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I'm not trying to be a dick but I've never unerstood how it's hard to get tires off. I haven't used a tire iron in about 5 years now. It's not difficult if you work it into the center of the rim and keep it there. I'm not kidding when I say it's easier without tire irons. Use your thumbs to work it down and pull the tire away from where you just came from. when you get to the last bit use your palms and a rolling motion to get it off. I've done Michelins, Nokians, Minions, Highrollers, Big Earls, Nevegals, road tires, bmx tires, etc. like this on every rim you can imagine including arrows which are the hardest out there. Oh and for gods sake DO NOT post any more threads asking how to get tires off a rim. Regardless of the model and brand the advice will always be the same.
Not trying to be a dick but there are some tires and some rims that just don't play nicely together, unless your thumbs resemble a hydraulic press there's just no way to get certain tires off of certain rims without a tire lever.

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
Not trying to be a dick but there are some tires and some rims that just don't play nicely together, unless your thumbs resemble a hydraulic press there's just no way to get certain tires off of certain rims without a tire lever.
I disagree. I've never tried the THE eliminators and I'm guessing they'd be ridiculous. That's different tho.