Quantcast

Best Moments in DH History?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Surprised nobody's mentioned Palmer almost winning worlds in his first year racing WCs? (2nd 1.5s off nico if you're too young to remember)

WParsons

Chimp
Mar 19, 2011
I remember a race where ACC crashed, rolled down a hill with her bike tumbling with her. She crawls back up carrying her bike and still wins by about 12-15 seconds.

That either showed how good she was or how much of a joke women's DH used to be. I think the latter unfortunately. There should be no way that much of a time gap could exist in a field of similar elite athletes.

That dual shock Cannondale. Oh jeeze..... I remember arguing with a Cannondale dealer about how utterly stupid that bike was while he was claiming it was the future of DH bikes. Hearing Gracia behind me in the line up at the Grouse WC complaining about how ****ty that bike was... well that just made my day.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
I remember a race where ACC crashed, rolled down a hill with her bike tumbling with her. She crawls back up carrying her bike and still wins by about 12-15 seconds.
I only saw her crash at a french WC when the crowd picked her bike up and got her going. Another racer (dont remember who US or UK rider though) crashed in the same spot and the same crown just stood watching and offered no help.:rant:

SlackBoy

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand

That either showed how good she was or how much of a joke women's DH used to be. I think the latter unfortunately. There should be no way that much of a time gap could exist in a field of similar elite athletes.
You mean like Kovariks 14sec win at Fort Bill. Those elite mens fields. What a joke!!!!:rofl:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

That dual shock Cannondale. Oh jeeze..... I remember arguing with a Cannondale dealer about how utterly stupid that bike was while he was claiming it was the future of DH bikes.
her "competition" definitely was not anywhere near her level. she was still an amazing rider but the other riders didnt make it hard for her.

and yes, the dual shock c'dale blew hardcore. i had one for a summer and was amazed at how bad it was.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Surprised nobody's mentioned Palmer almost winning worlds in his first year racing WCs? (2nd 1.5s off nico if you're too young to remember)
If it weren't for the grass flat at the bottom, he may have had the win.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
'91 worlds where Tomac won gold in XC and silver in DH.
'96 Palmers second at worlds
'97 Corrado Herin winning the world cup with Nico out for the season. Seeing the best that year in person at Mammoth was cool too.
'98 Shawms March qualifying first at the Snoqualmie Pass World Cup (and then fracturing his neck in qualifying).
'99 Outer Extremities mountain bike video came out, still one of my favorites.
'99 Kovarik winning Mammoth as a kid on the Qranc team (I think Qranc, might have been the next incarnation of the team).
'00 Myles Rockwell winning worlds

Everyone else has covered the more recent action. It was fun in the late 90s seeing people I raced with turn pro and try to carve a living at it. Too bad the money really went out of mountain biking in '99.

booflerider

Chimp
Sep 6, 2011
nico's run at chateau doex was pretty awesome , its all gone abit like snowboarding all about image and whos in bed by 10 maybe not a bad thing but racing aint just what it used to be ..id take back palmer anyday to watch at a race

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
"Leigh Donovan winning the 95' worlds, and the entire french federation booing her at the podium."

Didn't they boo because Anne Caroline was 16 years old and had a faster time but couldn't have the title because she was a JR?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
"Leigh Donovan winning the 95' worlds, and the entire french federation booing her at the podium."

Didn't they boo because Anne Caroline was 16 years old and had a faster time but couldn't have the title because she was a JR?
I forgot about that. Didn't Anne Caro through a tantrum when she found out they wouldn't let her race the elite race? Didn't Leigh win on a rebadged Nicolai? Or was that the year they were on Outland?

<edit> 1996 worlds for the younger crowd

Last edited:

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Didn't Leigh win on a rebadged Nicolai? Or was that the year they were on Outland?
Leigh was on the first generation Nicolai Trombone Shock which i believe was comissioned by Mongoose and later sold as both a Nicolai and Mongoose model.

As for great downhill moments:
Nico in Cap d'Ail made it look almost too easy. And personally, watching Klausmann take the win at Nevegal live on Eurosport with all my friends was the best time i had watching a race until Danny Hart came along.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Top 10:

1. Peat winning Ft. Bill (Most monstrously epic celebration ever...bike hoisting and all)
2. Rockwell vs Peat at Mt. Snow - the telecast did it justice too (can say I was there)
3. Lopes over Carter at Helen National slalom finals
4. Peat going down in the dust at worlds
5. Palmer sporting the gold jacket at Big Bear World Cup
6. Missy's OTB at Vail in front of the OLN cameras
7. Nico's 10th rainbow
8. Gracia in the Chippolini skinsuit crushing it!
9. Hill at Champerey
10. Hart Attack Worlds

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
-Wparsons, ACC wadded at Les Gets, 99', went for a hike and still won...granted, everyone else fell, so many times, but still...

-Ire, Leigh did win on a nicolai trombone turd, with Vbrakes and no chain device, everyone else had discs at that event. juniors went later in the day, track had dried up, bla bla bla, french federation apologized incessantly in the following years.
Leigh went to australia in 96' to defend title, against the new senior, ACC, when we arrived in Oz, leigh got the worst flu I had ever seen, was in bed the entire trip, she did 3 course runs with a 103 fever. She ended up getting 2nd to Chausson by .18...pretty bad ass. Palmer at that same world champs, as someone mentioned was pretty rad.

-Someone mentioned the Kovarik, Fort William deal...that was incredible.

-Not DH, but EC won a slalom in durango, riding on rims only, it was that muddy.

-ANything Gachet, because he dominated the circuit, elevated the sport, and he was pretty sketchy!

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
It has been already mentioned many times, but I must add that watching Sam Hill's run in Val Di Sole World Championships from 2008 gives me goosebumps like no other. Although Danny Hart's run is very close to that!