Quantcast

Best motorcycle for a beginner

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
This is a big argument my motorcycle friends and I (I'm the beginner).

One says it must be a dual sport so I can practice off road (despite my protests, I don't really want to ride off road because of the inconvenience).

Another friend tells me if street is my only function, than a street bike will handle better at speed.

I could afford a bike like the WR250X but it is pricey:

Although I am not fond of the look of most dual sport bikes, just motards, but the price is higher.

I know I could find a Ninja 250 used for about $3k.

Any comments?

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
just the .02 from the guy that takes care of most of the motorcyclist that biff on hwys 9 & 35

nothing bigger than a 250 to start. Take a motorcycle safety course before hitting the highways. Wear either full leathers or full Ballistics and a full face helmet don't be a squid and ride without protection [levis burn away in 5 feet of skidding on pavement].

you are not skilled enough to have a sportbike as a first bike no matter how cool you think they look.

it's not a matter of "if" you will hit the pavement on the bike but when [just like you will biff while mt biking].

cheap insurance is a $45/yr Calstar.org membership = no cost to you helo flight to the trauma center if you should need one vs $18,000

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
just the .02 from the guy that takes care of most of the motorcyclist that biff on hwys 9 & 35

nothing bigger than a 250 to start. Take a motorcycle safety course before hitting the highways. Wear either full leathers or full Ballistics and a full face helmet don't be a squid and ride without protection [levis burn away in 5 feet of skidding on pavement].

you are not skilled enough to have a sportbike as a first bike no matter how cool you think they look.

it's not a matter of "if" you will hit the pavement on the bike but when [just like you will biff while mt biking].

cheap insurance is a $45/yr Calstar.org membership = no cost to you helo flight to the trauma center if you should need one vs $18,000
You don't think a Ninja 250 is a good beginner bike? I thought it was designed for that.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I'd also look at a used bike when you first get one. That way when you goof up and drop it for the first time, it's not such a tear jerker. After you get more confident, sell it to the next beginner and get something nice.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
You don't think a Ninja 250 is a good beginner bike? I thought it was designed for that.

I wasn't commenting on that bike per say

but a bike like the one you pictured is going to have a more beginner friendly riding postion for learning than a sport bike

and as another poster said....its less painfull emotionally to drop a used beginner bike than a brand spanking new one because you will drop it...trust me on that.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

ok I've heard the term squid before to describe these kinds of riders, but where the hell is it derived from?

And to comment on what has already been said... there are 2 kinds of motorcyclists: those who have crashed, and those who will crash.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I've heard it two different ways.

Squid = Squirly Kid

and

Stupid
Quick
Under dressed
something or other
Dead

Can't remember the second one tho

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
wikipedia

Squid is a slang term used to describe an irresponsible motorcyclist. The term is common among motorcyclists in North America.

The term is generally used to describe a motorcyclist who rides aggressively, erratically or beyond their capabilities. Squids are perceived as overconfident and often ride without appropriate safety equipment, such as a helmet, gloves, leather jacket, riding pants, or boots.

The origin of the term squid is ambiguous. It is commonly said to be a contraction of squirrely and kid, or less commonly, squished and kid. a female rider who exhibits these characteristics is typically called a squirrel, for squirrely girl.

Squid is also described occasionally as an acronym, although these are likely backronyms.

"Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, Ignorant and Dangerous"
"Stupidly Quick, Underdressed and Imminently Dead"
"Super Quick Until I Die"
"Speeding Quickly Until I Die"

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
First bike should be a used beater no matter the type of bike.

Something in a 600 should be fine as long as it is not a full bore repli-racer that pumps out a lot of power for a 600. 600 shouldn't surprise you and if you are not responsible enough to handle the potential you shouldn't start riding.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Get something really loud. Evidently that is the cool thing judging from the idot frat boys down the street from my house.

Damn I can't wait for the snow & ice.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
if you are not responsible enough to handle the potential you shouldn't start riding.

I've put off getting a moto for a very long time precisely because I haven't trusted myself to ride smart. I've had too many friends get hurt (including two who died) from riding irresponsibly.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

Ninja 250 used since you are smallish. Being 6'4", a Ninja 250 fits me like a pocket bike. You might find the SV650 fits you better as a second option. You won't out grow the SV650 in 6 months like you would the Ninja, too.

Take the class, get LOTS of gear, then wear it.

wreckedrex

Monkey
Feb 8, 2007
Fremont, CA
I've been thinking about this for a while. From what I've read and been told by folks I'd be inclined to trust something like an ex250, ex500, sv650 or drz would a good place to start depending on your size. Also, budget some $$ for gear. I was sort of surprised at how fast it added up. Check out BARF, I found a lot of good info there.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've put off getting a moto for a very long time precisely because I haven't trusted myself to ride smart. I've had too many friends get hurt (including two who died) from riding irresponsibly.
I push my envelope on the MTB, consequences are less dire. On the motorcycle I ride like a grandmother.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It's all in the wrist.

My bike is a lot to handle, but I take it slow and only get a little crazy in the country when it's clear and I know the roads. Next year I will take the advanced riders course and also get some track time. I'm way crazier on the DH course, also in full gear.

I bought 2 pair of kevlar jeans, a titanium lined textile jacket and a leather jacket, both with CE armor. I scored it all on ebay for about $200 total (yellow jackets are cheap and it matches my bike). Got my helmet on clearance at Cycle Gear for $80 ($300 retail) and my Alpinestar boots were $90 on sale.

I only crash the DH bike when I don't wear pads. I figure if I wear enough gear on the street, the same rule will apply :D

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Ducati 695 Monster used.
Enough power, naked style, and girls love the Duc.
Get's pretty decent mileage too.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I finally got down on the ground last week, yanked the clutch pack out, flat sanded them on a plate with a power sander, restacked the deck minding to keep the first and last right, and all was well.

At least for the time being.
Think I am going to need a new clutch this spring though.

695 was my wife's first ride, worked good for her.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Wait a second.

One of my good riding buddies is Japanese.
Though, he's been through three bikes in a year.

Maybe Brian is onto something here.

Have you considered a nice, safe trike motorcycle?

tunnelvision

Monkey
Oct 25, 2007
I would vote for the SV 650 or 1000 dont buy a wimpy little ninja 250. You shouldnt buy a bike because you want to sell it down the road, buy a bike you want and keep it. You will come to find that any size bike is completely managable as long as you respect it. Bottom line is get what YOU want and you will be much happier in the end.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I would vote for the SV 650 or 1000 dont buy a wimpy little ninja 250. You shouldnt buy a bike because you want to sell it down the road, buy a bike you want and keep it. You will come to find that any size bike is completely managable as long as you respect it. Bottom line is get what YOU want and you will be much happier in the end.
I would agree with the SV650, but to tell ANYONE to go out and get a 1000 is a bad idea on so many levels.

Even an older 1000 can get you in a whole lot of trouble real fast, especially when you are 160lbs. It doesn't take much to get into trouble even on the SV650.

Ninja 250's are great bikes for a reason. And for smaller guys (130-170ish) they are great for around town and commuting. Not something you are going to take to the track or carve up miles of twisty, but they also help to build skills.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
A quick look on CL here shows 4 Ninja 250s for $2500 or less. You can find quite a few '04s with low miles on the cheap.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I would agree with the SV650, but to tell ANYONE to go out and get a 1000 is a bad idea on so many levels.

Even an older 1000 can get you in a whole lot of trouble real fast, especially when you are 160lbs. It doesn't take much to get into trouble even on the SV650.

Ninja 250's are great bikes for a reason. And for smaller guys (130-170ish) they are great for around town and commuting. Not something you are going to take to the track or carve up miles of twisty, but they also help to build skills.
Would a GSX-R1000 be a good beginner bike then?

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
i got my first moto in May. Ducati Monster 620. After being on the sv650, I felt a lot more comfortable on the Monster. I feel as though I'm sitting in the bike rather than on top of it. Power is very predictable and won't sneak up on you. I also second taking the MSF or similar course. I took the course and continued to ride only around my neighborhood (very quiet streets) for about 2 weeks before I really took it out.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
FYI, I plan on learning to ride a motorcycle in the safest way possible: MSF classes, underpowered bike, complete body armor, full-face helmet, and plenty of parking lot riding.

Mostly, I get two conflicting opinions about starter bikes, between offroad and street. Since I am focusing on street, I would think an offroad bike, with few learning advantages on the road, is not the best choice.

tunnelvision

Monkey
Oct 25, 2007
FYI, I plan on learning to ride a motorcycle in the safest way possible: MSF classes, underpowered bike, complete body armor, full-face helmet, and plenty of parking lot riding.

Mostly, I get two conflicting opinions about starter bikes, between offroad and street. Since I am focusing on street, I would think an offroad bike, with few learning advantages on the road, is not the best choice.
Its a bike, ride the wheels off it! I used to take my street bikes off road all the time drifting the back end on loose gravel/ grass mud is a good time, on the flip side off road bike are fun to play with on the street. I dont know where you live but where I am now I dont even know where a dirt road is. Where I used to live my enduro style bike was the best. being that your a MTN. biker you would also enjoy the benefits of a dual purpose bike so you can hit local trails. KLR 650 is very nice http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/product-specifications.aspx?id=221