Quantcast

Best place on the net to find........

Element

Chimp
Jun 25, 2002
Ft Walton Beach, FL
used full suspension frames at great prices? I'm trying to find something in the 4-500 dollar range. Maybe a cross between light "freeride" and "cross-country" type frame. I do some urban riding, so I would like something that can take a little abuse, but not too heavy. Thanks

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
from my experience, there really isnt anything that can take even a moderate amount of crap for under five hundred. i went through 2 jamis dakar sports that were 300 dollars, both with broken chainstays. i hae since upgraded to a Giant NRS 3, which seems to take a moderate amount of crap, as for the light freeride side of things, i couldnt tell ya because ive been really cautious with the new frame. the chainstays on my NRS are a lot thicker than the Jamis, and are also 7005 aluminum instead of low grade steel, but im still cautious with anythin over about a foot and a half.

RideSiK

Chimp
Apr 23, 2002
australia
i just saw a yeti DH4 4 inch travel 98 model for sale with select parts (think it had a hope hub and brake and a few other things)

it was for sale for like 700-800 CAD

ill find out where i saw it

RideSiK

Chimp
Apr 23, 2002
australia
narp cant find it
think it might have been nsmb somewhere though
its exactly what your looking for it would be sick...

Element

Chimp
Jun 25, 2002
Ft Walton Beach, FL
I appreciate the replies. I've been looking at ebay and mtbr.com for a week now and everything is sold already. I've been a day late and a dollar short since I started looking :D I am currently looking at a 2000 Kona Stinky and a 2002 Giant NRS3. I'm not really sure which one I like better. I like them both and would be happy with either one. Which frame do you guys think I should pursue the hardest? Which one will fit my needs better? I understand that this is probably a stupid question to ask you guys, but I don't really know a lot about these frames. Thanks

LostBoyScout

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Vancouver BC
cheap + nice = nonexistant

My rule of thumb - instead of setting a budget then trying to find something in it, how about find out how much a bike that would suit your needs costs, then save up from there.

Otherwise you're screwing yourself over, and no, you don't save money... because if you buy a bike less than that of which you need, you might break it. Then you'll have to buy another one. Then you've spent enough money to have a bike twice as expensive, and are still stuck with a peice of junk. Not to mention, you won't be fully satisfied - and that's what biking is all about, right?

Just save up a bit longer - if you managed to get $500 together, $500 more will happen. There just isn't any full suspension frames worth buying at that price, IMO.

Element

Chimp
Jun 25, 2002
Ft Walton Beach, FL
Originally posted by LostBoyScout
cheap + nice = nonexistant

My rule of thumb - instead of setting a budget then trying to find something in it, how about find out how much a bike that would suit your needs costs, then save up from there.

Otherwise you're screwing yourself over, and no, you don't save money... because if you buy a bike less than that of which you need, you might break it. Then you'll have to buy another one. Then you've spent enough money to have a bike twice as expensive, and are still stuck with a peice of junk. Not to mention, you won't be fully satisfied - and that's what biking is all about, right?

Just save up a bit longer - if you managed to get $500 together, $500 more will happen. There just isn't any full suspension frames worth buying at that price, IMO.

I actually just found 4 people with some Kona Stinky's and a Stinky DeeLux for sale in this price range. Hopefully, one of these will work out in the next day or two. I'm getting anxious