Quantcast

Best places to ride in Pittsburgh?

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Hey, I'm going up this weekend with the GF and we want to ride. No 20 mile death climbs, nothing super tech or she'll kill me.

Just some good fun trail riding. Where should we go in the surrounding area?

Hey...my wife and I are both from Penn Hills outside of Pittsburgh. Not sure what area of the 'burgh you'll be in, but some popular destinations are Boyce Park...near Monroeville right off the Turnpike, Frick Park in the city, and Hartwood Acres (where the Dirt Rag folks ride). Boyce was my local stomping grounds, and we still hit it every time we go home. LOTS of fun trails there, and no death marches at all.

Call Barry or anyone for that matter at Dirty Harry's. They're in Verona. They can hook you up with some directions, or other places as well.

OK...you're nearby, then. Definitely recommend Boyce. Good mix of trails. Hartwood is great as well...just forget how to get there, and I'm not nearly as familiar with it. If you go to Boyce...I recommend parking in the soccer field lot. Go to the entrance on top of Pierson Run Road on the left side. Soccer fields are on the left. If you map Pierson Run Road on any software you'll see Boyce around it.

Again...the boys at Dirty Harry's will hook you up as well. I've known Barry for nearly 15 years.

When you're done...go back to Tree Rat Hill, go to Gulifty's (or however the hell you spell it), and carbo load on killer desserts, and drinks for me will ya?

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Hey, I'm going up this weekend with the GF and we want to ride. No 20 mile death climbs, nothing super tech or she'll kill me.

Just some good fun trail riding. Where should we go in the surrounding area?
Hey what day are you looking to ride?

I can guide you around several of the parks in the area!

AmbulanceFodder tells you no lies! Boyce is nice and getting better, North Park has real nice stuff, and if you want more tech. stuff I can show you Apollo (nice climbs, tons of rocks and some nice flowing singletrack to boot!

There is a nice ride if you are looking for low flowing singletrack without a lot of long climbs about 45 minutes from SQH called Bavington (see ride report and pics here)

also, there is Hartwood Acres which is not far, and is fantastic! If we can stave off the weather, that is a great place to ride (it is the home turf of DirtRag, and if Mo wasn't down in Tenn. for some 24 hour race, I coulda taken you over to DRHQ to meet up with some cool folks)

you can PM me your details, and I will give you my Cell #... if we cant hook up for riding, I could still come down and meet up with you in SQ. Hill for some drinks! (that was my stomping grounds in HS) we used to skate all over the place up there! Check out Uncle Sams Subs while you are there (it is right next to one of the better bars in the area The Squirrel Hill Cafe aka "the squirrel cage"!

let me know if there is anything else I can do to help!

:thumb:

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Hey...my wife and I are both from Penn Hills outside of Pittsburgh. Not sure what area of the 'burgh you'll be in, but some popular destinations are Boyce Park...near Monroeville right off the Turnpike, Frick Park in the city, and Hartwood Acres (where the Dirt Rag folks ride). Boyce was my local stomping grounds, and we still hit it every time we go home. LOTS of fun trails there, and no death marches at all.

Call Barry or anyone for that matter at Dirty Harry's. They're in Verona. They can hook you up with some directions, or other places as well.

how did you meet up with Barry? he is a good guy, in a sport that needs more like him, and the people at the bike shop I work part time for!

Barry is putting time in building and working on trails at Boyce and is helping rejuvinate some trails that need some help! He is a good doOd! Good for the sport! I have been around the sport a long time, and know, or know of, most of the people in it, we need more like him, and his shop. I could list a group of shops to stay away from, but that isn't my style. If asked I would tell you, and give you reasons. But trash talking is counter productive, I would rather tell you to go to Dirty Harry's, or Scholl's (an old time family owned bike shop) and leave it at that.

sounds like you know your stuff, did you live in the Burgh?

My wife and I grew up in Penn Hills...graduated '96, etc. I've been going to Dirty Harry's for 15 years. We've bought most of our MTBs from Barry, and stop in when we're home. Sometimes I'll bring Strider (one of our German Shepherds). My first, second, third, and soon to be seventh MTB came from him. My wife's first, second, and fourth (current) MTB came from him as well as her DH bike.

Barry and his crew are truly top notch.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
My wife and I grew up in Penn Hills...graduated '96, etc. I've been going to Dirty Harry's for 15 years. We've bought most of our MTBs from Barry, and stop in when we're home. Sometimes I'll bring Strider (one of our German Shepherds). My first, second, third, and soon to be seventh MTB came from him. My wife's first, second, and fourth (current) MTB came from him as well as her DH bike.

Barry and his crew are truly top notch.
where in Penn Hills?

I lived in PH untill 2yo. I lived on Orchard Dr. right at the sharp Rt. hand bend (going down the hill from Rodi?)

Yep Barry has been on a few rides I have been on, and led a few as well. Back when I started, there where 2 Jerseys you hated to see show up at a race 1 the DH jersey and 2 the Greenlee jersey! you just knew when they showed up you were going to get your @$$ handed to you! :rofl:

I knew a lot of the racers, and ride with people like Dobratz and Lee and Elizabeth Klevens fairly often. (you may recognize those names) but it sure is a small world! Give me a ring when you are back in the area!

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
Brady's run in chippewa, off of route 60 has some really go/fun xc trails. I would definitely recommend them, there not too hard or anything but they will give you a little burn in the lungs lol.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Brady's run in chippewa, off of route 60 has some really go/fun xc trails. I would definitely recommend them, there not too hard or anything but they will give you a little burn in the lungs lol.
Where are you from? I love Brady's but from SQ. Hill, its like an hour drive. I teach out in Beaver county, and am a member of the Beaver Area Bike Enthusiasts! AKA BABE club, who use Brady's as their home park. It is a great park, and only getting better!

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
Go to the O' if its still open, last time I was in town there was talk of it closing. Best hot dogs in the area. If not, be sure to hit up any primanti brothers you see and get a hot capacola sammich w/ the works. Heaven on a bun.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Go to the O' if its still open, last time I was in town there was talk of it closing. Best hot dogs in the area. If not, be sure to hit up any primanti brothers you see and get a hot capacola sammich w/ the works. Heaven on a bun.
this man tells you no lies and sells you no bullsh!T! :thumb:

Primanti's is often imitaded but never duplicated! you can't duplicate perfection!:monkeydance: