Quantcast

Best Resort to Visit within 10 hrs of Chicago

Mtbike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Indiana
Where is the best resort to travel to in the South with lift access downhill? I am 10 hrs(650 mi) away from Snowshoe, is there anything else comparable within the same distance down south? I see Sugar Mountain in the forum?

SC

Mtbike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Indiana
Tough decision! I have wanted to go to both places for the past two years. I have limited time, like everyone else who works and has a family, so I want to spend as little time in the car as possible.

A second thought, is Windrock worth the 8 hour drive? I know it's not lift access, but would it be worth a long weekend of riding? Is there enough to keep it interesting for 2 or 3 days of shuttling?

tgaines72

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Knoxville, TN
Mtbike said:
A second thought, is Windrock worth the 8 hour drive? I know it's not lift access, but would it be worth a long weekend of riding? Is there enough to keep it interesting for 2 or 3 days of shuttling?

Windrock is definatly worth the 8 hour drive, and there is def enough to keep you riding for a few days. But, honestly, if it were my time, I'd choose Snowshoe. Especially if the lifts are running. I think the atmosphere of a resort is better than an old coal mountain gone wild west ATV/ DH Mountain Bike park. Maybee I'm just soft. :o:
I almost gap jumped a little redneck kid taking a crap on the DH trail at Windrock. I was coming down haling ass, and I see a head in between the jumps and it was an infant girl with a mullet pinching one off. I came to a stop and started laughing, then looked around and saw her family about 30 yards aways sitting on their 4-wheelers. I just shook my head and kept going.
Snowshoe has a bunch of rich kids running around bungee swinging and staying out of the way of the gap jumps. :)

tgaines72

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Knoxville, TN
to expand on my previous profound post, I just think Snowshoe has more to offer. Time being the only limiting resource, I would rather spend my time at a mountain with a better mix of trails. The downhill trails at windrock are awesome. I should also point out that I'm too much a pussy to ride there anymore.
Snowshoe has freeride trails, powerline, downhill trails and more. Windrock is all downhill. Plus the mix of people there with 4-wheelers and and dirtbikes makes for a unique experience only the southeast can offer.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
yeah: windrock sucks. stay away, nothin good here, not worth the drive. trails are flat, too easy, lousy maintainence, too many dang rocks, local riders have uppity attitudes.absolutely no fun at all, i have no idea why people who have come here from canada to florida to arizona, have said its one of the BEST DAMN PLACES THEY HAVE EVER RIDDEN!!!! maybe they are all suffering from some kind of dimensia, who knows.

tgaines72

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Knoxville, TN
i can't win for loosing man. you guys keep twisting my words.
never said anything about the trails sucking. just that I suck and can't ride em. I love the trails at windrock, but its all downhill trails. Snowshoe has a better mix of styles of trail.

tgaines72

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Knoxville, TN
I think the advice I was offering came out all wrong through the keyboard. Windrock kicks ass. I meant no disrespect. I know the guys down there have put an amazing amount of time into building those trails. It would be unfair to deprive yourself of an opportunity to ride some of the greatest handywork in trailbuilding this side of anywhere.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
oh man: was just being sarcastic. no offense was taken at all. one thing though, you gotta feel for downhillers that live sooooo. far away from good places to ride. im so fortunate to have the land that ive been allowed to build the trails of my dreams on, be only35-40 min. away. i just wish more of yall lived closer. tgaines72 you are welcome here anytime.

downhill66

Monkey
Aug 23, 2005
doing somthing....
Go Snowshoe. the park side lift is always open unless theirs some odd event like bow hunting, and the western teritory lift only runs on weakends i think. but their is a shuttle if you ride down the last trail to the road and go to the hotel parking lot at the botom. but call snoshoe first to make sure they have their stuff going.