Quantcast

best rotors?

Jordan Masse

Chimp
Nov 7, 2007
i'm building up a downhill race bike, i will be running juicy ultimate brakes and i was wondering what is the best all around disc rotor out there; braking power, weight, and heat reduction.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
another vote for galfer. they aren't the lightest, but the take the edge off that on off feeling. helps alot.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i'm using alligator windcutter rotors with my ultimates. the lightest steel rotor you can buy; no complaints in terms of performance. an impressive combination considering how xc light this setup is.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
i'm using alligator windcutter rotors with my ultimates. the lightest steel rotor you can buy; no complaints in terms of performance. an impressive combination considering how xc light this setup is.

I wonder what a hope disc weighs in at.... anyone got one handy and a scale?

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
That alligator rotor thing does look light but there just doesn't look to be enough material for pad contact. Braking force is a function of friction and there just isn't much metal for the pad to create friction with. Not to mention those holes are so large that they look like they could eat up your pads quite quickly.

gratiflying

Chimp
Apr 12, 2007
i tried those alligator rotors in all sizes. they are definitely very good. they perform similarily to magura marta rotors which also have reduced surface area and are marginally lighter. they do have less braking power than regular rotors due to the reduced area. i would only say 10% less at the most and in all honesty, once i was used to them after a ride, they performed flawlessly.

really slow speed braking (steep tight tech lines) i thought i noticed a very slight pulsing due to the big holes in the rotors but the marta rotors do the same thing. i kept the alligators on my all mountain bike but went back to regular galfers for my DH bike.

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
coefficient of friction is not dependent upon surface area, but yes there is a smaller pad to rotor contact area so some power 'may' be lost - is this due to friction force in relation to time in contact?

These rotors should work fine, i have heard some say power is slightly less but others that they work 100% no problems, there is a slightly more substantial model also that weighs a few grammes more - they call it a 'sunflower' design.

Rick

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
really slow speed braking (steep tight tech lines) i thought i noticed a very slight pulsing due to the big holes in the rotors but the marta rotors do the same thing. i kept the alligators on my all mountain bike but went back to regular galfers for my DH bike.
just a fyi, all magura pads and rotors are made by galfer.