Quantcast

Best short travel dh frame

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Unless you are real smooth rider or the dh you are doing is real smooth, I would stay away from the nomad and the 6.6. The angles seem too steep and the frames are not that burly.
The intense uzzi and the sxt are great choices. But I would love to try the Giant reign x also for light dh

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
Word! Did you ever end up buying one?

I have an X1 and it's an incredible bike, especially when you consider the price. You could easily use it as a light downhill rag, even with the stock set up. The only thing that i would change since i prefer a slacker head angle would be to put a DC on it, which is what you want to do. I think I would prefer the ReignX to most of the other bikes mentioned (except the Bullit) even if they all cost the same, which they don't.
Yep, ended up getting the frame (barely). Love it... after coming off of 2 fsr bikes, this thing is amazing

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Unless you are real smooth rider or the dh you are doing is real smooth, I would stay away from the nomad and the 6.6. The angles seem too steep and the frames are not that burly.
The intense uzzi and the sxt are great choices. But I would love to try the Giant reign x also for light dh
Agreed. However the forthcoming 6.6 SS will be the shizbot! Slack angles, beefier rear-end and low stand-over....

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
the transition blindside is going to weigh about as much as the bottlerocket. that's a 3 1/2 inch travel difference. it kills me how awesome the br could be if it was lighter by about a pound and a half.

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
well i have a full on dh bike (m3) so i am looking for a more sea otter type bike for flatter downhill races and trail riding. i agree the 6.6 slopestyle will be a good choice once it comes out. but anyone have an opinion on an intense tazer fully for trail riding?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I have been riding this as a short travel dh bike....

action shot from the river gap on the Champery WC DH/4X track.

66 degree HA, low BB and short CS. It is a fun bike!

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
no contest.

I've ridden my BR on everything from pure WC Dh courses to dirt jumps. it seriously does it all, and does it all very well. it's super stiff, and the geo is spot on. I know so many people who have them and haven't heard a bad thing about them at all.
ORRRR, you could take ANY solid 6-8" travel bike, slap a shorter shock on it, and BOOM same result - DH geometry with mis-matched travel. :banghead: It still amazes me how people think Transition accomplished some magical geometry feat when they pretty much slipped a shorter shock in a FR frame. :confused:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
ORRRR, you could take ANY solid 6-8" travel bike, slap a shorter shock on it, and BOOM same result - DH geometry with mis-matched travel. :banghead: It still amazes me how people think Transition accomplished some magical geometry feat when they pretty much slipped a shorter shock in a FR frame. :confused:
they didn't do anything magical. they just understood that the market was missing a product that was in demand. they took the risk and hit the jackpot because they got it right. :lighten:

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
What is that? I like the looks of it. Any other opinions on it?
I believe it's a Scott Nitrous with about 170mm travel. Spoke to a guy who's just recently bought that frame, and is currently deciding on what fork to run, who said that on their home page they show it with a 66. So the claimed 66degrees with a 160mm FOX 36 seems a bit too slack as I figure. Just speculating though.

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
i've been looking around but i cant find the frameweights of the Bottlerocket and SX Trail.

I'm thinking of picking up the blue 2007 SX Trail frame and either a 2007 totem or 66 RC2X...

Basically, i want something I can really flick around on, but i'm tied in between the SX Trail and the Bottlerocket...

boone

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
br is 8.1 without shock. so roughly 9.25 or so?
sx is 8.75 with coil shock and seat post.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
they didn't do anything magical. they just understood that the market was missing a product that was in demand. they took the risk and hit the jackpot because they got it right. :lighten:
yeah this is about the only forum on the net that bashes the bike...and i think that is because half of the users buy thier bikes so they can post weights and argue about titanium bolts. The br is built to be ridden and is damn good at that.

_Bill

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
no question it is a great bike and it rides well. people on this forum wouldn't buy them so much if they hated them. we're just voicing opinions, and that is what spreads to the company and can sometimes result in a change for the next year. a lighter bike that could still keep its overall strength and ride qualities is what all companies strive to make. look how the preston has evolved. people still loved it, but there were complaints about it being a little bit husky. now it's lighter and an even nicer ride. this is the first year of the bottlerocket being out, so of course there will be areas to improve on the design.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
i've been looking around but i cant find the frameweights of the Bottlerocket and SX Trail.

I'm thinking of picking up the blue 2007 SX Trail frame and either a 2007 totem or 66 RC2X...

Basically, i want something I can really flick around on, but i'm tied in between the SX Trail and the Bottlerocket...
SX Trails are sold out FYI.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
They simply revived a frame philosophy from 5 yrs ago and marketed it with big forks. Just because most people choose not to ride a heavy mid-travel frame mis-matched with a long-travel fork does not mean that setup hasn't existed for years. What was crazy is now cool. In the end, it's a good company, good marketing and a great internet buzz that has made the Bottlerocket the cult bike this year. Nothing wrong with any of that.