Quantcast

best shuttle car

Bent

Chimp
Aug 15, 2009
hey,

what is a good shuttle car for private shuttles 3 bikes max, that would be powerful to get up gravel hills, be cheap on fuel, reliable and overall cheap to buy.

Thanks

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
New or 2nd hand?

New or nearly new Ford Ranger extra cab 2wd 2.5 td. Cheap, powerful, good on fuel, well built. Same vehicle as the BT50 but cheaper. Dual cab has no tray room and it only comes with the 3ltr.

2nd hand, Hilux is the most reliable though over valued on the 2nd hand market.

jasonvelocity

Monkey
Aug 26, 2008
Palmer Lake, CO
Take your bike and checked the bed height. I love my Tacoma, but the bed is a little short, and the bikes start to roll a bit. I can fit 4-5 bikes across the back of my bed, you may want a shuttle machine like snowskilz

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
Any car can carry 3 bikes... 2 on a hitch rack, one on the roof. A ~'90 Honda Civic will be good on gas. I have an Impreza wagon, good power and AWD, but gas mileage isn't great for a small car, I average 27. This will go down even further when I trade it in for a 2010 wrx.

I've seen 9 bikes w/riders in snowskilz truck... that is a nice truck(Dodge king cab short bed I think). I'd love to have a king cab turbo diesel p/u.

Last edited:

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
A truck.

Either new or an old one you leave parked there, with the roof and doors saw-zalled off.

schaus889

Chimp
Jul 21, 2008
NY
I have a 2004 pontiac vibe, which is essentially a toyota matrix except with GM styling. Has space for a roof rack and can throw a rack on the back too. Has loads of interior space for all the gear you could need for 3 people, super reliable, great on gas (higher than 30 mpg usually), and can get it in an AWD option. Would be a great set up for three people if you want a vehicle that can also be practical for everyday use. 2006 I believe was the last year of the deal between Pontiac (GM) and toyota, so after this year the Vibe is not made by toyota.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I have a 2004 pontiac vibe, which is essentially a toyota matrix except with GM styling. Has space for a roof rack and can throw a rack on the back too. Has loads of interior space for all the gear you could need for 3 people, super reliable, great on gas (higher than 30 mpg usually), and can get it in an AWD option. Would be a great set up for three people if you want a vehicle that can also be practical for everyday use. 2006 I believe was the last year of the deal between Pontiac (GM) and toyota, so after this year the Vibe is not made by toyota.
The vibe was/is made at the Nummi plant in CA for all model years. It is a joint venture with Toyota and GM. AKA not a Toyota plant, a joint plant. GM announced in June that it was pulling out due to the shutdown of the Pontiac brand.

The Vibe is a nice car that gets good mileage.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
the rs6 requires the engine to be pulled to replace an 02 sensor, at least in the US.

My AC shuts off in stop and go traffic.

No thanks.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
the rs6 requires the engine to be pulled to replace an 02 sensor, at least in the US.

No thanks.
You have an RS6? Is that what U mean by the AC shutting off? If he wants a good mpg wagon nothing will beat a 2005 Passat TDI at 85MPH up the 5 we got 40 mpg!:thumb:

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
You should get a deuce and a half. Its gets up gravel hills just fine, cheap to get from uncle sam, and fuel is free. Heck the multi-fuel engine will run on the discarded suspension fluid from your fork....

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
6.2 diesel chevy blazer. enough space for 3 bikes, people, and maybe some extra crap, 4x4 traction on crappy steep gravel road, looks pimp, fun to drive, decent fuel mileage(mid 20's doable), run on waste oil, sorta slow.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle

No thanks.
Never seen a lambda probe go down on an RS6, erm ever. I'd be more worried about the air mass meter screwing up and ruining the autospastic box, that I have seen. More than once!

NAYR

Monkey
Jul 13, 2009
Truckee
Subaru WRX ftw! Although you wont have all the ground clearance a pickup has, the day to day driving experience is much better, and you can still get up most forest service fire roads in it. You can either get a roof rack or a hitch rack to get three bikes on it.

doc gravity

Monkey
Oct 25, 2004
highlands ranch, CO
No seriously, you can't post a pic like that and not tell us who's it is and why they have 8 decked out Yetis....and where they're headed!
With pleasure! This was taken in scenic Rock Springs WY, as the RPM-YETI developmental team made a team trip from Colorado to Whistler.TOO MUCH FUN! Had to take along our 4X/DS gear as we came straight back to Snowmass for the MSC/Pro gravity tour race there. 3000+ miles at mostly 75+ with that much stuff sticking up in the slipstream, and I still got about 16 miles a gallon. We've carried up to 12 bikes on those occasions when we're really trying to avoid towing a trailer. :)

YoPawn

Chimp
Aug 13, 2009
Unimog.

Oh wait, you said good mileage... 89-95 Toyota 2wd pick-up. Cheap and reliable.
That's what I drive. 1993 Toyota Xcab. Not that cheap though. Mine is still worth $5,700. Seems like the price is going up for ones in good condition.

I've seen some going on 400,000 mile with the same engine and tranny.

WRX makes a horrible shuttle car. Not enough ground clearance and drivers always get pissy at dirt on the leather. :rofl:

Last edited: