Quantcast

Best skate vid ever?

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
someone needs to beat that editor senseless until he learns to never use slowed-down footage ever again.

that was an abortion of a trailer if i've ever seen one.
Then you'll have to punch Spike Jonze in the face if thats how you feel.

...and it wasnt a trailer, it was the intro.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Heath Sherratt, you should be banned from skate talk on this board. Only because your skill level far surpassed a level any of us would have been happy to reach. :D
Hey I won an amateur warped tour vert contest:D

Heath: some good points in there for sure. You were more in the scene recently when I quit paying attention without a doubt. But there's a big difference between the sports. Part of what makes mountain biking unique is that some of the best displays of skill come from just riding down a trail in a certain way.........it's not reliant on tricks. Skateboarding is pretty much nothing BUT tricks.

It's kind of why I dig mountain sports so much these days. Seeing gee atherton rip the crap out of the redbull course a few years ago is more impressive to me than some tiny variation of a heelflip. Don't get me wrong, every time I come accross a new skate vid my jaw is on the floor with what's being done nowadays. But as far as the street scene goes it's nothing but small variations on a theme started a decade ago. That's why I mentioned danny way and burnquist. They just said "screw it.....I'm going snowboarding on my skateboard at 50 mph"

Just for some perspective I quit street skating for the most part when I was the hot sh1t because I could do a 5-0 grind down a handrail. I admit I'm a grumpy, crusty old vert/transition guy but I still hold that every video I've seen in the last few years looks exactly the same. I haven't seen them all because like I said, I quit paying attention. But I'll check out some of the ones on your list. I'm turning it off after 5 minutes of somebody following their friend holding a camera down low with a blown out fisheye through a school yard though:D

I'd love to see something that blew me away with presentation as much as the skating. Hopefully I've got some crow to eat;)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Who is that "have you seen him" guy?? Yes, I'm an idiot.

Kidwoo, good points. Never meant to be us vs them, just wish I could ride around a town and see half as many kids on mountain bike/dirt bikes as skater-your cost factor may be key.

Crankworx is Canada, where the sport is just growing so much faster. The fact Drop In is a televised show there illustrates how they already passed us- and "americans" started the mountain bike thing.

FYI- I hate fisheye too.
Mountain bikes belong on mountains:D

I've just accepted that I'm old and grumpy regardless of the sport. I personally think sending competitive events in bike riding towards crankworx sucks. No matter how good the riding gets, it's still an emulation (a poor one) of what's already going on with 20s. It kills me that there's nothing like the rampage anymore.

Regarding the vid scene though, I think we're kind of in an exciting time. Forget the rockstar crap like NWD.......... flicks like Elemental and stripped (even drop in and stund) are popping up where something very visually appealing is coming out of our sport. The NWD vids are visually done extremely well but other than a few segments, the entire videos feel like they're trying to punch you in the face. Race guys like clay and rankin are kind of maturing into their own style too. I dig a lot of the smaller stuff coming out because there's a lot out there that isn't all homogenous.....my biggest gripe (maybe unfounded) with skate vids. Again, look at peralta's old vids vs the h-street stuff.

Peralta made a production. The h-street guys just shot a bunch of sick skating.

edit: with all my ranting I'm going to be really insecure about going out and filming biking now:D

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
Then you'll have to punch Spike Jonze in the face if thats how you feel.

...and it wasnt a trailer, it was the intro.
christ, even worse if you ask me. regardless of whether it's a trailer or an intro, it still made me want to vomit.

slowed-down footage in a film is not the same thing as slowed-down footage in an "action sports" movie, imo. plus i have a feeling i wouldn't like any of spike jonze's work if he likes 5 minutes straight of slow-mo. the angles they used and the camera work in that trailer were excellent, and then i think they just ruined it by using all slow-motion and putting in explosions.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Kidwoo, I feel your pain.

The stuff that blows me away is watching the Song vs. Mullen videos because they are both so smooth and can link trick after trick after trick after trick.

To me, Rodney Mullen is the most natural skater.

Awesome:

<edit> I also hate the fisheye.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
i think the 90s toy machine videos were some of the sickest. "welcome to hell" was probably my favorite. the early zero vids were crazy too

RideRMB

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
'Da Hood
I haven't bought a skateboard video in years, but the intro to the new Lakai vid may have sold me. This is awesome.

The guy in the white shirt at 2:36 must feel like a tool considering the guy just rode an elctrical box AND made it blow up at the same time. :imstupid:

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Kidwoo, I feel your pain.

The stuff that blows me away is watching the Song vs. Mullen videos because they are both so smooth and can link trick after trick after trick after trick.

To me, Rodney Mullen is the most natural skater.

Awesome:

<edit> I also hate the fisheye.
Bastard!

:biggrin:

You beat me to it! Yup - Mullen vs. Song is one of the sickest vids I've seen in a while... Woo - didn't know you skated too!

I remember seeing an old vid with Jason Lee in it before he became a douchebag scientologist - he was actually pretty good. I still have a set of Gullwing Pro III's and Gullwing Phoenix trucks. First board was a Variflex "Seaflex" ... and it sucked HARD. Last deck was a 94' Hawk Signature model. Anyone remember the Santa Cruz "Air-Tech" hard foam decks from the late 80's...? I think they made one with the "Slasher" logo on it... The original Meek Model Slasher was another deck I had... man - the memories.

:biggrin:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
^wheels of fire?

Jesse is a fvcking scientologist?

Damn. I used to look up to that guy. Hope he gets the thetons out of his ass as some point.
Jason Lee (my name is Earl), not Jason Jesse :rofl:

I gave my son my copies of Wheels of Fire and Streets on Fire. I had a foam Slasher for about a week.

I noticed Spitfire makes the "Firelite" wheels that are just like the old Kryptonic Superlites.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
christ, even worse if you ask me. regardless of whether it's a trailer or an intro, it still made me want to vomit.

slowed-down footage in a film is not the same thing as slowed-down footage in an "action sports" movie, imo. plus i have a feeling i wouldn't like any of spike jonze's work if he likes 5 minutes straight of slow-mo. the angles they used and the camera work in that trailer were excellent, and then i think they just ruined it by using all slow-motion and putting in explosions.
don't hate slomo just because it's slomo. that was one of the best intros i think i have ever seen, and definitely would not have been if it had been anything but slomo. if that had been someones segment then i might feel differently, but it wasn't and it was aweome.

and

this coming from someone who absolutely hates it when too much slomo is used in videos. some things just work though, and this is a prime example.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Jason Jesse did the photo shoot of my brothers old shovelhead when it was featured in Ironhorse magazine many years ago. They go back a ways, he is a cool dude and one hell of a skater.

I didn't know Earl was a Scientologist. I know he has started skating again and has been very active in the sport the last couple years.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
don't hate slomo just because it's slomo. that was one of the best intros i think i have ever seen, and definitely would not have been if it had been anything but slomo. if that had been someones segment then i might feel differently, but it wasn't and it was aweome.

and

this coming from someone who absolutely hates it when too much slomo is used in videos. some things just work though, and this is a prime example.
i watched it again and realized the reason why i hate it so much is because of the explosions. they just make the whole intro too ridiculous and over the top for me, it is a skate vid after all...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
i watched it again and realized the reason why i hate it so much is because of the explosions. they just make the whole intro too ridiculous and over the top for me, it is a skate vid after all...
It reminded me of Jackass the movie. I agree with the lame factor, but I still hate the fisheye overuse far more.

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
Best skate videos of all time

Yeah Right!
CKY: Landspeed
CKY 2k
CKY 3
CKY 4
CKY Documentary

prove me wrong. go.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I just thought it was funny as hell. Which I think is all it's supposed to be.

Personally I would have interspersed(sp?) those shots with normal sections. Because it would be even funnier when you weren't expecting it.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Who is that "have you seen him" guy?? Yes, I'm an idiot.

Kidwoo, good points. Never meant to be us vs them, just wish I could ride around a town and see half as many kids on mountain bike/dirt bikes as skater-your cost factor may be key.

Crankworx is Canada, where the sport is just growing so much faster. The fact Drop In is a televised show there illustrates how they already passed us- and "americans" started the mountain bike thing.

FYI- I hate fisheye too.
Won Ton "Animal" Chin.