Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pattern Recognition

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
I've been spending part of spring break by re-reading Gibson's early books. So, which one is your favorite?

(I left Burning Chrome off since it is short stories and Spook Country since I haven't read it yet).

chqm8

Chimp
Mar 25, 2008
westport, mass
I've been spending part of spring break by re-reading Gibson's early books. So, which one is your favorite?

(I left Burning Chrome off since it is short stories and Spook Country since I haven't read it yet).

Can't really answer this one. I tried Pattern Recognition but couldnt get into it.

Have you ever read Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon?

Kick's ass.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I tried reading Idoru three times! Never got more than half way through.

I recognize Gibson's genius, but he's just not for me.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
I didn't vote yet. I'm waiting to get through all of them again.

I can see why a lot of people didn't get hooked on the books after Neuromancer. They have a pattern of having three or four completely different plot lines that don't make sense until the end of the book. Neuromancer was the most linear.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Gibson is one of my favorite writers. Have read all his books multiple times, I'm actually working on the first trilogy again myself. Neuromancer is my favorite of the lot above, but I really liked Pattern Recognition if I had to pick a favorite overall. I'd think other message board enthusiasts would appreciate it, too, having a lot to do with the phenomenon of getting to know someone soley online, then finally meeting them in person.

Have yet to read Spook Country. I hate buying hardcover. I read too fast and too much to justify twenty-someodd dollar books.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Neuromancer.

Nothing will ever compare to that one (or the earlier stuff in Burning Chrome) because of the historical context. Once the terms he invented in Neuromancer came into popular use and the Internet became a reality, he's just another decent science-fiction writer. But Neuromancer will always be one of the most visionary scifi novels ever written.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
I found some copies of Spook Country for $3 at Big Lots. I bought them and sent them to friends who would appreciate it. That book is too good to languish in a bin at a junk store. :thumb: