Quantcast

Best World Cup moment 2009?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Besides the really good coverage from Dirt, Ridemonkey, Freecaster and Vital one thing that is still stuck in my mind is the guy who did that huck at Mr Ste Anne (searched but could not find his name think it was Sam Blenkinsop). Anybody got video of that?

To celebrate the World Cup tell what was your highlight and include some pictures or video if you have any?

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
A couple come to mind(since Sam's huck @ MSA and Hannah's comeback were mentioned already)
-Peaty winning the Worlds
-Minaar winning the first round @ Home in SA
-Barel winning at Maribor after messing his knee(s) up the first round
-Sam Hill's crash @ Andorra(horrific)
-Gwin's first podium @ MSA
-Cody Warren/Brian Lopes on the hot seat @ Worlds(more American pride than anything else)

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I think it was matti at Ft. Bill who hucked the entire stepdown near the finish line, just absolutely huge, that was pretty rad.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
I think it was matti at Ft. Bill who hucked the entire stepdown near the finish line, just absolutely huge, that was pretty rad.
That was nuts.

All around a great season. Nice to have a US guy up there pretty consistently, Barel's comeback (and commentating), Peaty at the world's, etc.

Actually, the highlight for me might have been the clips of Brendan at Schladming practice. Nuts.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
In order of awe:
1. Palmer...every moment
2. Barel winning on a beast of a track
3. Peaty stunning the world with back to back World Cup wins
4. Gwin standing on the steps
5. Hill thinking he can pull off Palmer's gold jacket goes down as lamest moment to me. Gotta be your own legend.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
In order of awe:
5. Hill thinking he can pull off Palmer's gold jacket goes down as lamest moment to me. Gotta be your own legend.
Whatever braski.
More like carrying on a torch in my eyes. I thought it was awsome personally.

I dont have a favorite moment but id have to say Peaty winning the World Champs was at the top.
Oh ya and for myself, actually meeting the riders at MSA and partying with Ratboy was pretty epic.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
For me:

-Steve Peat winning Worlds (about time) and his killer results this season
-Gwin bringing USA back into the WC top 5's
-Sam Hill's gnarly crash in Andorra
-The coverage online of the WC this year. Better than ever.
-Kathy Pruitt making top 3 in Worlds
-USA finally becoming more competitive in the WC

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Favorite moment was Barel winning in Slovenia. It was so unexpected (at least by me). Peaty's win in Canbera was great, but not a total surprise.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
In order of awe:
1. Palmer...every moment
4. Gwin standing on the steps
love the last one.

U.S fvcking A. for the first two

Last edited:

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
In order of awe:

Legend ? Hill is probably the fastest guy to ever ride a DH bike, has won multiple WC and two World Champs and Palmer won what ? One WC ?

I'm pretty sure Palmer would be flattered that Sam wore his jacket.

mullet_dew

Monkey
Mar 22, 2009
Bellingham WA
#1 would be Peat finnaly winning the champs.
#2 would be hill nearly killing himself and finishing 5.8? seconds back, it was about 9 seconds from landing, to getting back on the bike, you do the math.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I thought of that as more of a Specialized thing, rather than a USA thing.. did Napalm rock the gold jacket with Intense also?
He only wore it when he won gold. X-Games & World Cup as far as I know. Not sure about anyplace else.

Hill just looked kinda ragged in it, especially with the whole back ripped out of it. I get it though. Don't get me wrong. I'm sure Hill was pumped that Palmer thought that much of him and wore it proudly.

It would have just been cooler if he'd done something to make that podium his own. Something like a lime green pimp cane or giant lime green pimp hat (since he smacked them biotches) or something MadCatz themed. A signature prop is key to becoming a legend....it's in the handbook.:thumb:

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
1. Barel's comeback
2. Blekinsop's boost at MSA
3. Sam's crash in Andorra
4. a rematch of last year's final (for points) that went the other way - just goes to show how close these top guys are
5. Steve Smith finishing the year unscathed. Last year he rode on the edge but got injured (I think), and it looks like this year he tried to pull himself back a bit, and was succesful in completing his season. Hopefully next year he'll ride more to his potential while finishing more races and finish in the top 10 overall. Oh Ca-na-da!

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
my best moments
- return of Palmer at MSA
- Peaty became world champion
- Sam Blenkinsop massive air at MSA
- Gwin on Podium

Fakewade

Monkey
Aug 26, 2006
Back in Scotland
Not so much a high light, but it was cool to see Matti back on his bike for the finals.

A high light would most definitely be watching Bryceland at Fort Bill carrying a retarded amount of speed through the tight tech woods section before the motorway. The boy has crazy corner speed.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Schladming.... everything Schladming was the best of the year, especially being there to race and spectate.

Best track of the year and watching the top guys in practice there is amazing. watching Brendan in person was out of this world.

finally seeing Steve Peat racing a world cup in the rainbow jersey

Graves in rainbows and winning the final race and WC title

The Men's DH Final

Minnaar beat Sam's quali run to but the pressure on,

Sam B has an amazing run to follow up after winning there last year.

Sam Hill, last man down the track with two amazing times already set by his competition. everyone just stood watching the big screen to see his first split and then the place went mental for the next minute and a half until he crossed the line... winner of the final race and overall champ.

Schladming is the newest "classic" on the world cup circuit

mccdh

Monkey
Sep 9, 2008
Comox
peaty and graves. 1 - 2. It was almost expected to see Hill at the top of the rankings this year, or very close to the top so for me although I am stoked on it, its not really a big deal as far as stories go this year. I think it was cool to see Lopes smoke the kids on the last split of the worlds, barel proved again why he puts the pro in professional, seeing stevie smith (canada here) become a consistent top 10ish finisher...the list can go on and on.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Peaty winning Worlds definitely up there for top DH Worlds moments, but I think the two greatest are his greatest losses with #1 being the monstrous drama of Hill falling on that insane run and Gee winning, followed by #2 of Peat losing it right near the finish to Barel. Those are the two most epicly amazing moments of DH racing history. Peaty getting it done...icing on the cake. :D

Greatest DH event weekend ever was the spectacle of Mt. Snow '98. Greatest DH track I've ever ridden that year in the greatest weather. Got in so many runs in Expert all weekend long.

The past, present and future of DH all in 1 place:
Tomac
Palmer
Shaums
Carter
The Devo Team everywhere
Ronning
Sharples
GT's massive Semi Truck
Cannondale's monstrous DH team Semi
Park Tools phenomenal service tent with mechanics and tools all day
Voreis everywhere you turned
Having to park as much as a quarter mile away
Naked Crit
Lopes/Carter/Cully slalom destruction
The Leducs
Missy
Kirkcaldie
The Yellow/Red/Black Intense armada
The re-badged Intense armada
Kids manualing everything in site

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
This season has been without a doubt, one of the greatest race seasons in history.
The advent of live coverage on the Internet has allowed the rest of us to share in the awesomeness of it.
Many many thanks to all who helped bring the WC season to our homes via live footage, team videos and privateers footage. Simply awesome.
Also the coverage from the awesome trio that is Sven, Gary and Damo. Fraser also of course. Cheers guys, without you we would be in the dark waiting for the next magazine print.
There were plenty of great moments from the season, but without your coverage, we wouldn't have seen it.

Yo.