Quantcast

Best XC/trail fork?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Thinking about picking up a new fork to replace my Float 32 RL on my Fuel.

I like the weight and the performance of the thing, but the bushings creak and there seems to be a lot of flex.

I'd like to move to something either in a 20mm hub or regular 9mm QR with 120mm travel, good suspension performance, and similar weight. I'd like to go lighter or stay the same, but am willing to gain a small amount of weight for a large bump in performance.

Looks like the RS Revelation or Reba, something else I don't know by Fox, or the Maverick DUC32, which I have some weird desire to own.

What's good? Anything by Zokes?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i'm riding an older gen revelation dual air and love it. It had been QR, but i picked up a set of old pike lowers so i could run a 20mm axle, like it much more now. FWIW if i was gonna buy a fork right now it'd probably be a fox.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I have a Reba SL on my racebike. It's very nice for the price, I tend not to like FOX floats by comparison.

I've had a revalation though and I still consider it the nicest trail/AM fork I've ever had. It was ultra tunable and had an adjustable gate which was like a magic button. I had my gate set up to run Plush when unpressed and firm like a race fork when pressed. But you could tune it to go full lock, or anywhere in between.

I'd say you'd probably be happy with either depending on what you are using them for.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
I have to agree with what everyone posted above.. I have a Dual-air/motion control pike and absolutely love it. Beat the piss outta it for 3 seasons and I've had zero issues. floodgate works great like golgiaparatus mentioned, it's great for dialing out brake dive while still keeping the small bump sensitivity. If I had to get a new fork tomorrow it'd be a Revelation (no idea which one, w/the RS's new naming conventions though).

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Cool, thanks for the help. I've been reasonably happy with the fox but it's just a little noodly...not a lot of adjustment either.

Question 2: any reason to opt for the 20mm over the 9mm qr? I really like qr from an ease of use standpoint but I want some stiffness from the front end. I also have a 20mm Hadley hub lying around.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Another Revelation dual air user here. Ridden for a little less than a year now but the thing is amazing. Light, stiff, progressive, can't say enough good things about it. Go for the 20mm, it has a QR maxle anyway so there's no real difference in ease of use with the 9mm QR except the stiffness.