Quantcast

BETD Linkages on Giant AC

fumehood

Chimp
Feb 25, 2005
I picked up a used ’02 Giant AC Air Lite (same frame as all the other ACs) and it came w/ the BETD linkage plates. Now that I am stepping it up a few notches, I have discovered that there is frame/frame contact of the rear triangle and the top of the seat tube. At first I thought it was just hitting the seat clamp collar, but I can still get contact when I remove the collar. I am using a Romic shock. I have been in contact w/ BETD, but of course they say that there is not supposed to be any frame/frame contact, and they have never heard of anyone having any problems, other than people having to flip their QR for the seat clamp to the front. So, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem, or is there just something out of whack on my frame?

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Just save your money for a burlier frame.

My friend used to own one of those frames and did some "freeriding" and general burly riding on it, he ended up ovalizing the bb pivot.

The Rose

Monkey
Aug 2, 2004
pine barrens N.J
I was lookiing into the BETD linkage for my AC but I have heard a few people at the trails and read some reviews that mention the metal to metal contact. So I doubt it's your frame thats screwed up, I'ts probably just the way the linkage is. I would get some stock plates and ride with those. If you set your shock up right you wont have a problem with bottoming.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
I would not suggest using BETD links. I recently saw a cracked AC1 that had the BETD links on it, and have heard nothing but bad things about those links... :nope:

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
The AC has enough problems handling hard riding by itself, no need to add the BETD links to hasten the inevitable.

(ps, it's fun bagging out bikes for the sake of it :eviltongu )

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
if your shock isnt a 7.75x2.25 then its the wrong length and that could cause problems. also i have one and the rear end is pretty flexy. your rear triangle could very possibly be bent. they are 60 dollars to replace directly from giant.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
BETD usually makes some well engineered stuff, all this is rather suprising to me.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
I'm not too sure how well designed some of their products are. I had some links for a Kona that were way off the stock ones; in terms of bends...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
bballe336 said:
if your shock isnt a 7.75x2.25 then its the wrong length and that could cause problems. also i have one and the rear end is pretty flexy. your rear triangle could very possibly be bent. they are 60 dollars to replace directly from giant.
The stock length on the 2002 ACs were not 7.75x2.25. They were 7.5x2.

aidanwray

Chimp
May 16, 2005
UK
BETD are a very good company and are well respected over here in the UK.

however, their longer travel plates for Kona's and AC's etc. are still known to blow shocks and break frames.....
theyre not very good and itd be worth running the standard plates

GiantRider

Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Nor. Ca. Santa Cruz ,Mang
So first of all ,have you moved up to a heavier spring on your shock? I have an AC( which is a great bike by the way,no matter what some may say) and ran the linkage upgrade for awhile but decided that yes the frame is a little flexy and the linkage just made it worse. Also my buddys both have the BETD on thier Konas and and they had no problems at all after getting heaiver springs.And last the i2i should be 7.5 to 2 on all years.

fumehood

Chimp
Feb 25, 2005
I have the correct size shock, my frame is not bent, and I have the stongest Romic spring installed. I only weigh 140#, and it only bottoms out on the biggest drops or when I get squirly, just like it should...but I would really like to hear from some people that actually use the product. GiantRider, did yo have any frame contact issues? Rose, do you know where you read those reviews, I looked a little while ago, and couldn't come up w/ anything.

EL-Jefe

Chimp
Nov 16, 2004
Hilltop
I rode a guys bike with those plates and was not impressed. I didnt feel confident when It was in the 7.5 travel position. I suggest dropping the position to the seven or 6.5 And get a stiffer spring. I feel the only benifit from these is the overall increase in durability of the plate itself. The stock ones on 2003 and 2004 models ovalize around the bushings and bend because of the tension screw. I ride my2004 AC with stock 2002 plates. 6 inches is plenty for this bike to handle. Most of the time i run it in the 5 or 4 inch position.

Bacardi

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
Santa Barbara, CA
You should consider riding a frame that is Dual-Crown compatible if you are doing drops. Ebay that sucker and get a stronger frame.

Doesn't the leverage rate change depending on what mode of travel you are in? Seems like you might need a couple of springs: 1 for trail riding, 1 for jumps/drops.

vtrider

Monkey
Apr 11, 2005
vermont
Bacardi said:
You should consider riding a frame that is Dual-Crown compatible if you are doing drops. Ebay that sucker and get a stronger frame.
An Ac is dual crown compadable. infact it came stock with a slider in 2003/2004, and i believe it still does. plenty strong for me anyway, and im a big guy (6'0 190 lbs) lil on the flexy side, but thats fine

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
the AC is NOT triple compatible, unless you got the 03/04. ANything earlier was double butted tubing, and while it may hold up for a while, eventaully it will go.

Why can't people get around the fact that the AC is a bloody trailbike, and isn't made for DH? Its like the tards adding parts to a stock Civic and calling it a racer.

USE THE BIKE FOR WHAT IT WAS DESIGNED FOR.

The Rose

Monkey
Aug 2, 2004
pine barrens N.J
I talked directly to a giant rep and he said that giant would warranty any AC regardless of year if it was equiped with a dual crown fork.They recieved so many questions about running the forks , they tested it out and realized that they would hold up fine. And it seems to me that regardless of what the masses might think, the AC is ridden DH by alot of folks, and judging by some of the posts here they are quite happy with them. So slap the boxxer on your 2001 ac and ride without fear. ANd hey if the bike cracks in half in three years I'll either get it replaced under warranty or I'll spend a third to a quarter less and get a new frame compared to a "real" DH frame. :evil: And chill out bro it's just a bike and you don't have to ride it. :thumb: