Quantcast

Big bikes for big folks?

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
I'm not really in the market for a new bike, but a boy can dream, right? I've been thinking about what options I might have should my 01 bullit bite the dust. It appears to me, though, that when you're 6'6" there aren't too many products to fit you. :mumble:

My bullit is an XL size and I really like how it fits me. I know a lot of people ride smaller frames for DH/FR, but I usually have a lot of pedalling involved when I ride.

My question is: Who besides Santa Cruz makes big DH bikes? I'd like something comparable to the bullit. (I believe it's a 21.5" frame?) Are there any other options? I certainly wouldn't have a problem buying another Santa Cruz, but I want to see what else is out there.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Large Big Hits were pretty big---my bud who was 6'9" bought mine, rides it with a longish stem. (I'm 5'11" and it was just too darn big; I was naive when I bought it, plus coming from a pretty XC background, so a 24"tt didn't scare me).

Dunno if the Demo 9 is sized similarly...

MD

Edit: There's always custom, too...BCD, Canfield, etc. Get it any way you like it...and hold on to it for years and years.

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
MikeD said:
Large Big Hits were pretty big---my bud who was 6'9" bought mine, rides it with a longish stem. (I'm 5'11" and it was just too darn big; I was naive when I bought it, plus coming from a pretty XC background, so a 24"tt didn't scare me).

Dunno if the Demo 9 is sized similarly...

MD

Edit: There's always custom, too...BCD, Canfield, etc. Get it any way you like it...and hold on to it for years and years.

Yeah and he can rock that thing like it's a BMX cruiser....

Are you looking for a DH bike or a freeride bike? Sounds like the latter.

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
kidwoo said:
How about an xl big hit with betd chainstays? It allows you to run a 26" rear wheel, and puts the chainstay at about 18". For me this is a little long but for the huge crowd maybe it creates a more proportionately sized bike?

Listen to this guy. That would be an f'n sweet fr/dh combo bike. Especially for a bigger person.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
Yeti DH9's are pretty big. I bet Titus could hook you up with something custom, but they might even a production size that fits.

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
norco's are facking huge in the size large. not so much their new Team DH design, but the older monocoque designs were tall.

~SGD

Measure from the bikes BB to the handlebar height. On DH bikes thats what you feel unless you are planning to pedal it alot while seated. A big top tube will be a good indication of that, but not always. Depending upon manufacture, i run anywhere from a small to large to get the proper BB to handlebar distance

toothless

Chimp
Dec 8, 2002
It can be tough finding a bike when you're on the taller side of things. Rotec's large frame might fit you nicely, it's huge. A large Sunday (24.5" effective top tube) with a setback post and maybe a 70-80mm stem might also work for you. I'm 6'3" and used to have that frame, ended up being a little big for my taste. I hear Giant's large glory is ridiculously big as well. Good luck!

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
It's fantastic that a guy can still get advice on a question asked in 2004.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
We seriously need mods to lock threads after 3 years or something.