Quantcast

Big cat on Tiger

Fredzilla

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Seattle
Did the Preston loop on Friday with a buddy. While I was waiting a the top of the fireroad, a cougar came out of the woods on the Preston trail side about 50 yards down the road. He wasn't TOO big, but certainly big enough to ruin your day if it wanted to.

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
I've always been a little weary of that happening while riding up there. I guess they don't call it Tiger Mountain for nothing! I'm glad it just kept going on its merry way.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i saw a little bobcat up there, but i've never seen a cougar anywhere. Hopefully the first time i encounter one it's not biting thru my jugular.:) :dead:

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
Bobcat

Cougar

Cougars and Mountain Lions are the same. Since I usually ride alone, at feeding time, I would much prefer to come across a Bobcat than a Cougar. :help:

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
I was driving back from Spokompton last week and someone had a live bobcat just chilling in the front seat of her SUV. We just pulled up next to her and stared... sitting in the seat, the thing was as tall as her. That's my story.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
BIGHIT756 said:
no, a lynx is different than a bob cat. and a cougar is different than both. they are three different cats, and lynxs' are more rare than say a bob cat or even a cougar.
Actually, a Bobcat is a kind of Lynx. There are Eurasian Lynx, Canada Lynx, Iberian Lynx, and Bobcats (American Lynx).

Fredzilla

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Seattle
Ridemonkey said:
Actually, a Bobcat is a kind of Lynx. There are Eurasian Lynx, Canada Lynx, Iberian Lynx, and Bobcats (American Lynx).
True statement.

Phylum: Chordata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Carnivora
Family: Felidae
Genus: Lynx
Species: Lynx Rufus (comon name - Bobcat)

In other news - went riding Sunday in Banner Forest and saw a black bear... I thought it was bigfoot, or Skookum, but then on the way out I saw a sign at the trailhead (I missed it on the way in :rolleyes: ) that said a bear had been sighted that morning...

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Badmunkey said:
True statement.

Phylum: Chordata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Carnivora
Family: Felidae
Genus: Lynx
Species: Lynx Rufus (comon name - Bobcat)

In other news - went riding Sunday in Banner Forest and saw a black bear... I thought it was bigfoot, or Skookum, but then on the way out I saw a sign at the trailhead (I missed it on the way in :rolleyes: ) that said a bear had been sighted that morning...
If I ever go on a ride with you, I'll be sure to carry a tranquilizer gun.:eek:

Slider

Monkey
May 23, 2004
Moscow, ID
most big cats only kill about once a nmonth(moose/elk) and snack on it for a month don't threaten it and most likely the will leave you alone

kahner89

Monkey
May 25, 2006
spokanistan
my mom actually thought she was feeding a stray cat one time but late one night i came home and found a bobcat on our front porch eating the food my mom gave out. but ya i heard that the cougars attack in california whenever they feel like it, so try to put me on my bike in cali

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
I did a loop this evening and saw a kitty. on the fire road that connects the cool downhillish trail with the other xc trail.

i was wondering if it already had it's July meal?

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Several years ago I also saw a cougar on Tiger. Must have been 6 years ago now - damn. Been away a long time....

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
spincrazy said:
Several years ago I also saw a cougar on Tiger. Must have been 6 years ago now - damn. Been away a long time....
Besides NW Timber you probably wouldn't recognize the trails anymore. Preston degrades annually and is filled full of boulders, every year it's a different trail. And Iverson was logged last year.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Skookum said:
Besides NW Timber you probably wouldn't recognize the trails anymore. Preston degrades annually and is filled full of boulders, every year it's a different trail. And Iverson was logged last year.
Yeah, I had heard that. Iverson was my favorite too. They had started a lot of logging when I left. I do like boulders though... Go ride Kaches for me. That's still nice yeah? 5000 ft...