Quantcast

Big Daddy Like Whiskey

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
I was stocking up at Spec's (the only real liquor store in the Houston area) last week and thought I'd get a little bit of bourbon for those quiet evenings next to the DVD player. I usually get some Weller or Beam, since they each hit a nice point on the price/flavor continuum. But I was looking for something different and I saw "Rebel Yell."

Now there are normally a dozen or so brands of bourbon on the shelf that I've never tried. I mean there's about a dozen that I've tried, but there's all these other random ones that I've never bothered with. Why pay the same or more for an unknown quality when the Beam is sitting right there? Well, the Rebel Yell bottle is the same shape as the Weller bottle, but it was on sale for $9 for a fifth!?!?!?!? I haven't seen decent whiskey that cheap in a LOOOOONG time. The label said since "18xx" or somesuch year. Whatever. It also says it's from a distillery founded by the Weller dude. OK that's enough hype for me. Gotta check it out.

Brought it home and broke the seal. Smooth. Sweet. Very little bite at the end. Somewhere between Dickel and Southern Comfort. Hot damn. I gots me some good cheap whiskey! It's great over crushed ice, but almost disappears (literally and figuratively) when added to a little water.

Moral of the story: try something different, especially if it's cheap :)

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
kidwoo said:
If it's bourbon you need. There really is only one choice.
Yah, I've heard all kinds of great things about MM. I finally had a dose of it the other night. Good stuff. Not sure the bottle premium would be worth it for me (waste of good liquor on my notably undiscriminating palate), but worth ordering at the bar.

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
kidwoo said:
If it's bourbon you need. There really is only one choice..
Blah!! I have a bottle of Makers at the house..........for the guest that don't know any better. Other than that i only use it in mixed drinks. (ie. bourbon and coke)

You should try some better bourbon. "Woodford Reserve" is excellent. "Buffalo Trace" is pretty good. "Booker's Best" is my favorite, it is Jim Beams top shelf stuff. :drool:

Down here in Kentucky we know our bourbon........ :oink:

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
Booker said:
Sez the dude w/the PBR avatar ;)

Sorry, just kidding. . . couldn't resist.

Seriously tho: what do YOU consider a "good" bourbon. Does a discrminating Kentuckian prefer more smoothness, more flavor, a little oaky or smoky flavor? More sweet or more bite?

I like Weller over ice, sometimes with a little water. Beam is yummy too, and I don't feel bad if it ends up in some Coke. The Maker's Mark tasted very smooth with a clean finish (more like a clear liquor). I prefer a little more flavor though, and maybe some smokiness. Alright I admit I'd rather just drink Scotch, but bourbon is much more patriotic, economical, and good to keep around for cocktails.

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
Booker said:
Your proud regionalism (which is merited and healthy in my opinion) reminds me that the best liquor I've had so far came from South Carolina. It is very clear and came in an unmarked bottle. It started getting very smooth at about the 13-yr mark.

No, I don't know where you can get any of it ;)

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
Fathead said:
Sez the dude w/the PBR avatar....
Hahaha I didn't say i knew good beer..... ;)

Everyone has their own style when it comes to bourbon. But my personal favorite is "Bookers Best" (no realation to me) . I really cant give a taste breakdown but i do know what i like and dislike. I just can't tell you why other than i like mild flavor and a smooth finish. It just has to feel good going down. None of that rot-gut make a goofy face stuff. I prefer bourbon over cracked ice if i am drinking and relaxing. But last weekend i drank $2 Jim Beam and coke at a local bar until i was nice and ****ty and then me and some buds got drug around downtown Louisville in the back of a rickshaw. :o:

Here is a little history on bookers best..................................................Booker's Bourbon is the only uncut, unfiltered, straight-from-the-barrel,
connoisseur's sipping bourbon available today. It's bottled at its natural proof of
between 121 and 127, and aged between six and eight years. Booker Noe, Jim
Beam's grandson and master distiller emeritus, hand selects each barrel that will
become Booker's Bourbon. Each barrel that will become Booker's bourbon is aged
in the very center of the rackhouse where the temperature and humidity combines
in the perfect proportion for the finest bourbon. This is truly the absolute best
bourbon available.

That south carolina stuff sounds like good old corn liquor (aka moon shine) I don't know where you can get any of that either ;) That stuff will make you blind......

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
My favorite bourbon right now is Evan Williams single batch, but I've also got a bottle of Bulleit, which is fun to give to people that aren't used to drinking whiskey straight. It's just a little bit too harsh for most. A friend of mine wanted to get to the point where he'd be able to drink whiskey like water, so we practed by drinking the Bulleit stuff. He's since given up on that goal, though I'm not sure that that's necessarily a bad thing.

There's also a bottle of Knob Creek waiting upstairs for me to try out, so it's certainly possible that the rankings could get shaken up a little.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
bean said:
My favorite bourbon right now is Evan Williams single batch...
Never tried it but regular Evan Williams Black(90) is my daily. I have tried all sorts of expensive ones on the boss's dollar but haven't found a better bourbon value yet on a handle. I have no real preference between Kentucky or Tennessee bourbons per se, but still favor bourbon to scotch, irish, rye, corn, etc. whiskeys.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I drink so little, that I'm willing to go ahead and pay a bit more for good stuff and drink that all the time. Usually a bottle will usually last at least a month or so for me.

I think I'm probably going to move from bourbon to Scotch. While I was comparing the Knob Creek and Bulleit last night, I kept thinking that they were way too sweet. The only Irish whisky I've had was Jameson, and it seemed really bland, but I'll have to try a couple more of them before I rule them out completely. The scotch I've had before was all good. Actually, the single malt ones were all good, the blended ones weren't nearly as impressive.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
kidwoo said:
If it's bourbon you need. There really is only one choice.
I'm definately leaning towards MM these days. I was on a Knob Creek binge for a while, but I have been picking up the MM bottle more and more lately and would never think of mixing it with anything but ice! We also have Beam and Jack for mixing (fresh outta the Canadian Club) and some Dewars and JWalker Red. (diclaimer: I have a well-stocked bar in the basement). Mmm...if it wasn't 8:30 in the morning I might just have to have me some :think:

Edit: Anyone ever try Balvenie (it's a single malt scotch whiskey)? I had some at Echo's and it was :drool:

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
well as of yesterday I developed a taste for Whiskey. Never though I would find a liquor that would get along with my taste buds…but I did!! :thumb:

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Whiskey is a different drink. I love jack and coke, I can drink that all night long and I am set. Hell everyone knows when we go to drink it's jack and cokes (or if you are in Las Vegas it's double shot, jack and coke hehe). I've had it over rocks but for some reason I prefer it mixed.

Milemarker and Knob Creek are good stuff too! I think much better by itself and not mixed.

Some wiskey's, scotch (which I didn't think I'd like) but I did :) and other drinks on the rocks can amaze me. I might be 22, but I am over some of the fruity drinks because they have too much sugar and it gives me a headache. I was so happy to find a drink I like, weather it have scotch, wiskey, whatever in it it works for me

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Spunger said:
Whiskey is a different drink. I love jack and coke, I can drink that all night long and I am set. Hell everyone knows when we go to drink it's jack and cokes (or if you are in Las Vegas it's double shot, jack and coke hehe). I've had it over rocks but for some reason I prefer it mixed.

Milemarker and Knob Creek are good stuff too! I think much better by itself and not mixed.

Some wiskey's, scotch (which I didn't think I'd like) but I did :) and other drinks on the rocks can amaze me. I might be 22, but I am over some of the fruity drinks because they have too much sugar and it gives me a headache. I was so happy to find a drink I like, weather it have scotch, wiskey, whatever in it it works for me
I just bought a bottle of Maker's Mark last night...gonna crack that sucker open tonight!! can't wait to give it a try!

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
-BB- said:
Whiskey? :nope:

I've got one word for you...

SCOTCH
:evil:
Yup, Scotch is yummers. But I can't afford to go through the good stuff like I can bourbon. As our purchasing officer, I'm required to ensure we have each of the following on hand at all times:

beer
wine
rita fixins
rum
whiskey

Beer and wine is stocked every 1-2 wks. The tequila and rum get replenished at a rate of 1-2L ~monthly, and I try to keep the whiskey down to about a fifth each month. To drink good scotch at that rate would add $30/month to the bill.

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
llkoolkeg said:
Never tried it but regular Evan Williams Black(90) is my daily. I have tried all sorts of expensive ones on the boss's dollar but haven't found a better bourbon value yet on a handle. I have no real preference between Kentucky or Tennessee bourbons per se, but still favor bourbon to scotch, irish, rye, corn, etc. whiskeys.
I will keep resurrecting this thread as I continue to try new hootch. Broke into said Evan Williams last week. . . what a bargain! Some dik-head musta spread the news on Rebel Yell cuz that stuff is up to almost $11/fifth! But I got the Evan Williams cheaper, and it's yummy :thumb:

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Booker said:
Blah!! I have a bottle of Makers at the house..........for the guest that don't know any better. Other than that i only use it in mixed drinks. (ie. bourbon and coke)

You should try some better bourbon. "Woodford Reserve" is excellent. "Buffalo Trace" is pretty good. "Booker's Best" is my favorite, it is Jim Beams top shelf stuff. :drool:

damnit, you had to mention Booker's.

That's yummy too

edit, That reminds me of our whole display at the bar of all the top shelf Jim Beam bourbons including Basil Hayden's(yum!) and Knob Creek (not a fan of this one personally). I need to try the Woodford Reserve. I've read good things about it, but never tried it.

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
SkaredShtles said:
I think you should save your booze money and build up enough $$ to leave Houston........ :think: ;)

-S.S.-
What would RM be w/out SS playing bait-the-Texan at every opportunity?

Cheers dude. I just had some kickass Cuban-American-made bbq. Sliced beef, black beans, collard greens, and a big ol' hunk of bread pudding. Sitting back listening to Kevin Fowler and Cross Canadian Ragweed. Bring the smack. Houston has me in golden handcuffs, but I'll be sitting here grinning.

Come on down here sometime and do some drankin' wit us sometime :gaptoothrednecksmiley:

It may be too wet to ride, but the barstools are always rideable ;)

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
llkoolkeg said:
Thanks for the Evan Williams tip! I picked up a fifth today for $6.99. I like it better than Beam and Jack...it really is quite good, and you can't beat the price/taste ratio.