Quantcast

BIG DROP and help needed

Apr 13, 2008
ok, i just started mtb with a full suspenion bike and im about to do a big jump/drop. it is a big 4-6 foot drop and im woried about what can happen. first, im wondering about my shocks bottoming out im wondering how to make them so they dont and what can happen. second im worring about the bike dropping and in the air my feet leaving the pedals. so please help me out

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
Not sure what type of sus you have but if you can put air in do that. Umm you shouldnt fall off the pedals because your holding onto the handlebars. Explain...

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
Start with smaller drops and gradually work up to the one you're thinking of doing now. By that time, you should have figured it out for yourself.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
So...how much friggin crank was that douche on, anyway??? Good grief.

And I love that the guy with his first bike decided on "MTB IS MY LIFE" for his username... Just huck the cliff, bud...see what your name is tomorrow.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Start with smaller drops and gradually work up to the one you're thinking of doing now. By that time, you should have figured it out for yourself.
Seriously. Start with something small, most bikes will bottom out on big drops, you need to make sure you have the technique and body position down before hitting something this big. I know this sounds corny, but start out by dropping curbs at different speeds, get consistant on your landing then work your way up to something that needs to be dropped but you can bail out and roll instead if needed. Then work on differemt landings, IE Drops to flat, drops into a transition, ROugh landings ETC. Your technique will also vary depending on how much speed you ave coming into the drop, Try this, Roll up to a curb into a trackstand near the edge, then pedal your way into a drop. Its actually a good skill to have on your bike, the trackstanding as well as the drop..... Ok I am rambling and drinking too much..... Hope some of this helped

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
if you can bunnyhop try prejumping into the drop, this way you will skip the whole "how do I drop" learning curve
ps:1-should u listen to me please film it
2-you should listen to dirty mike

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
ok, i just started mtb with a full suspenion bike and im about to do a big jump/drop. it is a big 4-6 foot drop and im woried about what can happen. first, im wondering about my shocks bottoming out im wondering how to make them so they dont and what can happen. second im worring about the bike dropping and in the air my feet leaving the pedals. so please help me out
If you're for real, how about a pic of the drop?? a pic of your bike too would help.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Talk about having no clue how to build a jump...That cracked me up. Roll up that jump once and you would be able to tell it was not going to work.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
AHAHAHHAAH holy crap that made my night. Did he notice how quick and tight that tranny was or no?? ahghghahagh
Yeah I saw that whole thing play out when he did the "practice" roll up. That tranny would have worked goin 2mph and clearing a tonka road gap
Live and learn....

I don't know if the post is a joke or not but, I had a friend who bought a bike and went from dropping curbs to 6footers in one day. (without helmet)
I ended up taking him to the emergency room for 20 somthin stitches and a cracked skull. He still has the bike but, hasn't ridden it since then in 05'