Quantcast

big guys whatcha riding?

Big John

"TEAM XXL"
been out of the scene for a few years and am looking for a new dh rig. not to race but to freeride with. being a founding member of team xxl I'm not a lite weight @ 250lbs. what frame would you guys suggest? what are you riding?
I am looking at a Giant Team DH 2002, How is this frame for big guys? how do the pivots hold up?

I miss my Cheeta
:mumble:

In8Racing

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Trying to find some skillz...
I'm returning to riding after a 2 year break, too. The last bike I actually raced was a 2002 DH comp and I loved it. It had a boxxer and 5th element on it, and I had my best season ever racing on that bike. Pivots were solid after I loctited everything.

I'm now actually going to be riding a Morewood within the next 3 weeks, and am not sure what fork I'll be putting on yet. I'll possibly be going with Fox 40rc2 up front, and a DHX Ti in the back.

FYI - I'm 6'2" and about 225...

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
go with the morewood, you can find some on price point, or for a more personalized feel, you can email them directly and order a bike straight from them.
www.morewwodbikes.com
you can go to dealers, and the main dealer in the usa is in NC, shoot them an email, they are good about getting back to you.

Big John said:
what did you pay for the morewood? where did you get it?
6'1 200 lbs. and I just got a Morewood with a Fox40RC2X up front. I'd go with the Morewood as they are great customer service wise and it's a very solid bike. Huge pivot that looks like it will be around longer then me. Very stiff and responsive bike and the bottom bracket is high enough for you to freeride it - just make sure you get the right spring on the rear shock for your weight. I'd get either a fox 40 or a 888 up front.

www.morewoodbikes.com or call (888) 682-6673 and ask for Richard

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Big John said:
been out of the scene for a few years and am looking for a new dh rig. not to race but to freeride with. being a founding member of team xxl I'm not a lite weight @ 250lbs. what frame would you guys suggest? what are you riding?
I am looking at a Giant Team DH 2002, How is this frame for big guys? how do the pivots hold up?

I miss my Cheeta
Holy FAWK! How's it going?

Rich was running a Tomac (think he still has it), but you probably know that... he also has/had a Banshee Scream which would definitely hold up under you and also has good "free-ride" geometry opposed to the low-slack geo of the Tomac.

Most folks I knew with those Giants (like Steve/SDH) had to keep track of the pivots often.

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
Big John said:

I miss my Cheeta
Hey man, ya back? Cool, it is like "getting the band back together"

drop me a PM, we'll chat..............

I have a few ideas in mind..............

The other founding member that had to put quarters in his pocket,

steve

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
6'3" closin in on 200lbs. 36"inseam
yeti DH9 with a lotta seatpost.

three years of brutalization and still rippin right along.
(oops, i guess you just can't buy one of those any longer.)

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Wanna be Team XXL....:thumb: Where's Big Rich anyways? I heard he dropped a boatload of weight....

and

5'-9" @ 245 lbs.

Although in a month will be @ 225 (Sprained knee did not let me work out to well, so back to the gym I go :rolleyes:

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
6'7" - 265# Rotec RL9 / 888 Works / Avy DHS Ti

This bad boy stands up to anything. I just got done with 5 days at Whistler 10-15 runs a day. Then went to Deer Valley for 3 more days of abuse. Took all my crashes with style....bike is in better shape than I.....

HGR Frucci

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
K12
go with the morewood, you can find some on price point, or for a more personalized feel, you can email them directly and order a bike straight from them.
www.morewwodbikes.com
you can go to dealers, and the main dealer in the usa is in NC, shoot them an email, they are good about getting back to you.
Ditto. I went through sponsorhouse and got a response very quickly. I'm really stoked to get on the bike.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Big John said:

I miss my Cheeta
Glad to see you getting back into it. I just picked up one of these a couple weeks ago.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-GT-DH-I-Full-Suspension-Downhill-Mtn-Bike-LARGE_W0QQitemZ170006148537QQihZ007QQcategoryZ98083QQcmdZViewItem

Have really been happy with it and for the price it cant be beat. They put some gussets on it to fix the swing arm breakage problem. I got the medium and Im 6' #230 with gear

Dennis

6'2" 235lbs.....El Cuervo w/888. It's been a solid bike for the past two years of constant N* abuse.

Another riding buddy is 5'10" and closer the the 250-260lb range and he's had great luck out of his for a little over a year now.

Neither one of use has had to do anything to our frames. No loosening pivot or other such nonesense. The bikes are just made to be dumbas proof!

Good luck in the search!

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I commuted in to work on my OLD/CLassic/stretched limo Rotec (circa 98-2002 style) and it wouldn't fit in the bus rack. :D

I am not fat I am HUGE, but my Rotec has held up well over the years but she is an old beast. Old pic:

now I am riding this...

ghettogt76

Monkey
Dec 5, 2001
Pleasant Hill, Kali'fo'nya
I am only about 210 all geared up, but I rode a 2002 Giant DH team for a season. How did it hold up? If I had maintained it, probably better. You HAVE TO loctite all the pivots. I had some come loose which over time bent the lower link, which over time meant to me to get a new frame.

Have fun riding again!

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
dump said:
ditto - good to see you back!
I've always been poking around... just started posting again about a month ago... trying to ride more again... plan to start racing XC again... I'll still ride DH from time to time, but I'm basically done with DH racing. Spectating at the US Open confirmed that... would have liked to ride the course, but had no desire at all to race.

Hoping to ride the Shed again with Big John. I haven't seen those guys in ages... :)

In8Racing

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Trying to find some skillz...
On this same note, what forks are people running? I'm curious. Price being no object, what would a reliable, stiff race fork be for the 200+ crowd?

Avalanche?
Boxxer WC?
888?
Travis Ti?

Of these, I can get good pricing on a WC, 888, and Travis...

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
In8Racing said:
On this same note, what forks are people running? I'm curious. Price being no object, what would a reliable, stiff race fork be for the 200+ crowd?

Avalanche?
Boxxer WC?
888?
Travis Ti?

Of these, I can get good pricing on a WC, 888, and Travis...
Even as big as I am I had great luck with Boxxers. Maybe if you want a longer life or more time between maintenance cycles you could look elsewhere.

I had no real maineneance issues to speak of on my Boxxers....they were lighter than most and I like their offset for racing on my bike. I have an early 200? Monster now and it is offest further forward and stears different (worst for me) but the travel quality is improved.....trade off I guess.