Quantcast

big guys whatcha riding?

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
hurly kid... please die...

i m 225... ride this old beast... took of the 05 888RC (see buy & sell:) ) and put back on the ole 02 monster... better geo and compression damping if ya ask me... this bike has been good to me..

In8Racing

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Trying to find some skillz...
Tell you what asshat, I'm 6'2" 225. Call me fat and introduce yourself at a race.

See where you end up.

Back on topic, I also like the boxxer quite a bit, but wasn't sure if the new one's were any stiffer. Mine was an '02. I keep looking at a Travis, but the reviews are 50/50. The fox just LOOKS stiff, because of the size, but I have no experience, nor know anybody that has owned one.

hey Rhino - when I dropped the dh bike over the last couple years, I was riding a KTM 200SX. Not pedalling was nice while it lasted! ha, jk!

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
888 RC2X Works Period.

It will be valved for you with the proper springs and all...Plus it's lighter (and cheaper) than a comparable Avy (and not inverted....) Nothing against inverted forks, but for my application (DH racing and general riding through stuff rather than over....) inverted is too flexy, no matter how "stiff" it claims to be. My trip-8 just goes.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
partsbara said:
hurly kid... please die...

i m 225... ride this old beast... took of the 05 888RC (see buy & sell:) ) and put back on the ole 02 monster... better geo and compression damping if ya ask me... this bike has been good to me..

Heh...bike looks soooo shiny. Your stuff is in too nice of condition....put the beer down long enough to go ride...jeez....:rofl: :help:

My '02 Monster was on the DH rig that got jacked....:mad: I would've kept it once I upgraded too, for a FR rig once I built one....that would've kicked ass!!!

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
In8Racing said:
On this same note, what forks are people running? I'm curious. Price being no object, what would a reliable, stiff race fork be for the 200+ crowd?

Avalanche?
Boxxer WC?
888?
Travis Ti?

Of these, I can get good pricing on a WC, 888, and Travis...

fox40.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
all the above sounds like something me and my SB friends would say just to get a rise out of all of you. Someone is stealing our thunder!! and copying our style!

the only difference is I am fat as well, but i know i can destroy those kids above, down any course!!

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Secret Squirrel said:
Heh...bike looks soooo shiny. Your stuff is in too nice of condition....put the beer down long enough to go ride...jeez....:rofl: :help:

My '02 Monster was on the DH rig that got jacked....:mad: I would've kept it once I upgraded too, for a FR rig once I built one....that would've kicked ass!!!
don t hate me because i don t crash ;)... seriously, i don t crash very often and yeah, i look after all my cr@p... actually shes pretty dirty in that picture (except the fork because i just swapped it out)... couple of good shuttle sessions at auburn... yeah, i won t sell that fork ever... rides to nice...

here she is in action, little step down in germany.... just before the 888..

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
partsbara said:
don t hate me because i don t crash ;)... seriously, i don t crash very often and yeah, i look after all my cr@p... actually shes pretty dirty in that picture (except the fork because i just swapped it out)... couple of good shuttle sessions at auburn... yeah, i won t sell that fork ever... rides to nice...

here she is in action, little step down in germany.... just before the 888..

After my 2 week road trip I need to completely tear down and clean every part of my Rotec....Even then, I'll still have the marks on the paint from where my pads scuffed it in the couple of crashes I had....sigh....good thing black looks good with orange....

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Secret Squirrel said:
After my 2 week road trip I need to completely tear down and clean every part of my Rotec....Even then, I'll still have the marks on the paint from where my pads scuffed it in the couple of crashes I had....sigh....good thing black looks good with orange....
nice... actually i m enjoying the dust here in CA... after 3 years in europe, having to strip the bike after 90% of the rides... it s great to get home and put the dusty beast in the corner... thats what i like about black... easy to touch up... actually that frame looks pretty bad close up... good from far, far from good :)

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Big John, awesome to see you kickin' around the dh/freeride bug again!!!! SDH and I have been trying to get Big Rich and Ian F back into the scene, which if the past few months are any indication we are starting to be successful. We really need to get the old XXL crew together now that we live relatively close to each other (I moved to NoVA last year) and hit the shed/gambrill for old times sake, might have to twist Ian F's arm a bunch tho!!!

As for bikes, you remember the Tomac (lawwill) that I had, it held up perfectly fine to my size and style back then. Rich's did develop a crack, but they told him it's okay to ride as the crack was in a low stress area. I had a Giant dh team for three seasons while I lived/worked at Snowshoe, beat the crap out of it and it never once showed a sign of weakness. I put loctite on the lower links and checked them every couple of outings, but other than that it was a fairly relaible bike.

Last year I stepped down from the full on dh rig to a more freeride oriented machine, mainly cause of funds, but I hated every minute of it! The bike was so nervous at speed and that plow everything attitude that a dh bike teaches you usually ended up with me riding way above the bike capabilities. I've since moved onto a Mtn Cycle shockwave 9.5 with a Marzocchi 888rc2x, which I have been dialing in and plan to abuse this weekend!!!

Hit SDH, Rich, and myself up some weekend and we'll get you on three or four different types of dh/freeride rigs. Between the three of us, we probably have enough parts to get you up and running as well.

BrandonWatts

Monkey
May 4, 2005
raymond, WA

6'3" 270 riding a 05 meduim 05 stab supreme with a dhx and 888 and i love it to pieces. yeah yeah yeah meduim seems like it is small the the tt measure 24.1 inches.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Ian F said:
I've always been poking around... just started posting again about a month ago... trying to ride more again... plan to start racing XC again... I'll still ride DH from time to time, but I'm basically done with DH racing. Spectating at the US Open confirmed that... would have liked to ride the course, but had no desire at all to race.

Hoping to ride the Shed again with Big John. I haven't seen those guys in ages... :)
yup, I hear that... have more fun riding than racing for sure... cheaper too :)

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
RhinofromWA said:
I had no real maineneance issues to speak of on my Boxxers....they were lighter than most and I like their offset for racing on my bike. I have an early 200? Monster now and it is offest further forward and stears different (worst for me) but the travel quality is improved.....trade off I guess.
That's interesting... I used to have a 2000 Boxxer (still do) and a 1999 Monster T (should NOT have sold...) and swapped between the two depending the course. To me, the geometry of the two felt about the same. Only when I tried the much taller Shiver did I notice a big change.

It's kinda funny reading some of these posts and knowing how John used to set up and ride his Cheeta... ;)

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Ian F said:
That's interesting... I used to have a 2000 Boxxer (still do) and a 1999 Monster T (should NOT have sold...) and swapped between the two depending the course. To me, the geometry of the two felt about the same. Only when I tried the much taller Shiver did I notice a big change.

It's kinda funny reading some of these posts and knowing how John used to set up and ride his Cheeta... ;)
I think it was that the monster made my Rotec even longer....

the Boxxer was livelier and felt better when racing to me. I can appreciate the Monster T bump performance but it makes my rotec feel floppy and steers heavier....maybe it is a result of the different damping performance but my bike steered quicker and felt lighter with the boxxer on it.

Rhino

PS- Out of my 3 boxxers (98, 00, 03) I liked my 2000 best. :thumb:

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
RhinofromWA said:
I think it was that the monster made my Rotec even longer....

the Boxxer was livelier and felt better when racing to me. I can appreciate the Monster T bump performance but it makes my rotec feel floppy and steers heavier....maybe it is a result of the different damping performance but my bike steered quicker and felt lighter with the boxxer on it.

Rhino

PS- Out of my 3 boxxers (98, 00, 03) I liked my 2000 best. :thumb:
Yeah....cause the 02 monster is 3 lbs. heavier than a(ny) boxxer.....

and the axel to crown height is way jacked up compared to the boxxer so it slacks out the HA pretty bad on the older Rotecs.

Mine was a 49.5" wheelbase with something like a 64.5 HA (I think....coulda been closer to 63.....) and it was 52 lbs.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Secret Squirrel said:

and the axel to crown height is way jacked up compared to the boxxer so it slacks out the HA pretty bad on the older Rotecs.

are you thinking about the 7 or 8" monster ?? 02 was the last year that they were 7"... the axel to crown is great.... the geo of my bike is heaps better with it compared to my 200mm 888 (even with flat crowns)... the 03 is the heavier 8" model... my 02 is the last of the 7" 'lighter' ones... the 02 is the model to have.... i ll part with mine for eleventy million :)

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
partsbara said:
are you thinking about the 7 or 8" monster ?? 02 was the last year that they were 7"... the axel to crown is great.... the geo of my bike is heaps better with it compared to my 200mm 888 (even with flat crowns)... the 03 is the heavier 8" model... my 02 is the last of the 7" 'lighter' ones... the 02 is the model to have.... i ll part with mine for eleventy million :)
No doubt that the 02 monster give better geo on your bike compared to the trip-8.

With regard to my old rotec (and Rhino's), I'm talkin' the 02 Monster. The boxxer lowers the front end considerably. The rake that the 02 monster gave it, caused my first Rotec frame to fail at the head tube because it was not one of the gusseted models. If I was running another 7" fork (say....a boxxer) the rake would not have been so extreme thus saving my headtube-downtube junction.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Secret Squirrel said:
No doubt that the 02 monster give better geo on your bike compared to the trip-8.

With regard to my old rotec (and Rhino's), I'm talkin' the 02 Monster. The boxxer lowers the front end considerably. The rake that the 02 monster gave it, caused my first Rotec frame to fail at the head tube because it was not one of the gusseted models. If I was running another 7" fork (say....a boxxer) the rake would not have been so extreme thus saving my headtube-downtube junction.
gotchya :thumb:

Big John

"TEAM XXL"
wow lots of options! thanks for the input guys, weight doesn't bother me I can pretty much through anything around. I loved my Monster T but my ss8 was a better fit for me. I like lots of ground clearance, lol!
That's why I liked the DH and Prowler better than the Proline. I could jack up the single pivot frame and stiffen it up for my style, the Proline and G-spot has to low bb and I would just crash through the rocks tearing it up.

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
6'2", 215lbs. In 2003 and 2004 I rode the big Monster T. The 13lb, 8" travel one. You wouldn't think that 13 vs 7 lbs would make that much of a difference, but it does. That fork was boss. However, that extra 6 lbs somehow caused me to nosedive in a lot of situations. The damping was great--but the small bump sensitivity was not. I'm not going to go on about how there was more unsprung weight. I'm not convinced that 6 lbs on my bike makes that big a difference. It's less than 3% of my weight, and maybe 2% of the combined (rider+bike weight). I switched to a 2003 Boxxer WC that I bought on here, and it has treated me great. It is not as smooth or bottomless feeling as the monster, but it makes the bike feel so much faster. It tracks well and has decent tire clearance. I'm sure the new ones are even better, although the new Team model I tried felt underdamped and sticky to me (I'm sure this could be remedied through tuning). I spent the last few years on Specializeds, although I never tried a Demo 9. The problem I had with the Specializeds (Older model Enduros and Bighits) was that I couldn't get a big enough cockpit without getting the largest frame size. The Bighit was a great frame for me, especially when things got gnarly, but it was really tough to pedal and go fast on. I could get over the back end easily and plow, but I couldn't finesse stuff as well as I wanted to. Given, finesse might not be the right word given my riding abilities. This year I've been running a Gemini DH with the Boxxer and some other fairly light gear. I haven't had anything break yet. I know the Gemini is made by a company synonymous with crack-and-fail, but mine hasn't blown up yet. It doesn't feel as bulletproof as the Bighit, but it's so much faster. It has a super low leverage ratio on the rear shock, which is something more important to heavier riders. On a bike like Rocky Mountain RM9 with a very high leverage ratio, a heavier rider's weight can really do some damage to the moving parts. For next year I'm looking at the Canfield Bro's F1, Go-Ride/Ventana's Cuervo, Cannondale's Judge and a few others. They all have reasonable leverage ratios and geometry/sizing that--on paper--appeals to me. The Iron Horse Sunday has a low leverage ratio and really solid numbers, but I don't know if I'll ever see one in stock anywhere. In terms of components for bigger riders, I've had a lot of luck with a few parts. Easton carbon bars. They come really wide, are not too heavy, and feel GREAT. The bend is great, they don't beat up my hands too much, and they feel SO STIFF. Even in 25.4mm. Deity 4130 cranks. You might already run steel cranks, in which case you already know this, but steel cranks are great. I had a lot of trouble with ISIS cranks and busting pedals out of crankarms, but these steel ones are tough. Good luck!

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
I'm 6' 2", 240 and roll an '05 IH Yakuza Kumicho with a Marz Jr T and Raceface Diabolus bars and stem for DH and Whistler-y stuff. Love it, works great. I'd like to get a DHX 5.0 shock to upgrade the Progressive, but that's just a preference not a necessity.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Secret Squirrel said:

QUOTE]

Umm... no... The crown-axle distance between my 2000 Boxxer and 1999 Monster T were damn near identical. I remember this quite clearly. The weight did make a difference, and that was why I swapped them out depending on the course (and my mood).

Edit: BTW, I ran the lower crown on the Monster T slammed down as low is it would go, so maybe that's where yours was different....

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
bibs said:
Its a meduim, fits great just rode whistler on it yesterday and went to Garbonzo, I have a travis 6" on the front and the swinger air 4 way on the back

Thanks for the reply!

Sep 10, 2001
Seattle,WA
Hey,
Whats shaken dude! Where were you this weekend?
Was at Gregs, great event.

Their trails were great, my riding sucks though.

Can't believe they did this for everyone and didn't ask for some donations. I felt strange enjoing their hospitality......but Cindy said "no worries".

Next time they have this I'll give up some coin regardless, its the least I can do.

Going to Crankworks? I'll be there the final weekend, got extra beds (2) if you want in. PM and let me know.

Bibs, brother wait till you see what I've got up my sleeve for IB this year........its going to be sweeet! Top Secret stuff......so shhhhhh!:agree:

Give me a holler,
Sully