Quantcast

Big Hit and 24" rear wheels

R

RideMonkey

I was checking out a Specialized Big Hit today. Looks like a sweet FR bike!

What is the function of the 24" rear wheel? Is it just for more saddle clearance when the suspension is compressed? How does the 24" wheel affect all-around riding and climbing?

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
It is a kiler bike - manuals and jumps like a cruiser. I think Specialized intended a few things by specing the 24:

-lower BB - all the enduros are real low so I think it's a company philosophy sorta thing

-as you mentioned, saddle clearance

-to be able to accomodate the change in travel/geometry that comes with the 8" link without throwing off the "feel" of the bike

All conjecture on my part. All I know it that it's damn fun to ride and I'm seriosuly bummed that they sold out of 8" links for the year :(

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
If you look at the chainstay on the BigHit, you'll notice that there is an enormous amount of chainstay between the pivot and the tire. This needed to be present so that the rest of the longer-travel suspension would fall into place (correct lengths, angles, etc). This lengthened the wheelbase to the point where it was necessary to use a 24" wheel so that the chainstay wouldn't be that extra inch long (the bike is pretty long as-is).

mtbikers

Chimp
Dec 21, 2001
Spokane
It appears that the 24" wheel was used to keep wheel base in check however this also provides for a stronger rear end. Could it be true that using the smaller wheel provides more torque in your pedal stroke? I noticed I was able to pedal up some stuff I never had before using the 26".

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
The smaller wheel effectively lowers the gear inches on any given gear ratio. (i.e. if you have the same gear on a 26" and a 24" wheel, the 24"er will effectively be a "lower gear ratio" just as if you were in a smaller gear...probably why it was easier to pedal up.

B

bighitfsr

24 inch rear wheels are stronger and lighter (shorter spokes, less rim/tyre).
Because the wheels weigh less they accelerate faster.
The disadvantages are that you lower your gear ratio's and the 24 inch wheel has a slightly harder time ploughing through rough terrian.
Also the selection of tyres is limited.

I have a bighit comp and love the 24 inch wheel.
The 24 inch rear wheel feels great for tight technical conditions but may not be as good as a 26 for ploughing through rock gardens at high speed.
Its hard to compare because the other DH bikes i've ridden are super8's, bulits and Karpeils and feel totally different due to the suspension designs.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
You can't fit a 26" wheel in there...(or, actually, you could-without a tire.) The chainstays are too short to accomodate it.

If, theoretically, you could, the BB height and overall geometry would be thrown out of whack from what the engineers intended.