Quantcast

Big hit- Which frame????

bigsi67

Chimp
Apr 17, 2009
Hey guys, I'm a bit of a newbie from the UK. I've just bought a couple of big hits off ebay and have a couple of questions.

1. I have an 03 and an 04/05. Which one was better, and is there any difference between the 04 and 05 model?

2. I'm thinking initially of keeping the 04/05 model. The manual I have downloaded from the Specialized web site mentions a Comp and an Expert. How do you tell them apart? Was it just the shock travel (different shocks?) or is there a difference in the actual frames?

3. I intend to keep the Marzocchi Monster T's from one of the bikes. These are 2004 models I think. Are they worth spending money on (new seals etc.) or would I be better buying a newer set of forks?

4. If I keep the forks will the standard springs be ok for me? I weigh about 75 kg or 165lbs and will be doing mostly dirt jumps and drop offs for fun, not racing (yet!!!)

Thanks for the info. I work racing motorcycles for a living so I'm not worried about the tech side of things, just need to get the basics right.

Thanks for reading and for any advice.

Cheers, Bigsi.

chic06

Chimp
Sep 16, 2008
Keep the one with the big link that has 4 adjustment holes in it. Also i don't know what the sub-models are, but if you have one with a 2.75 stroke shock instead of a 2.5 it will provide more travel which is generally better. There are no major differences between the 04 and 05 FSR big hits.

rhys.l

Chimp
Dec 13, 2008
Yep, agree with above although one setup with a biglink and 8.5 x 2.5 shock works best imo - lowers and slackens it out noticeably and you still keep 7.4" travel