Quantcast

Big rider looking for big bike...

bigwheel

Monkey
May 24, 2004
Canada
After 20 yrs of riding XC style bikes down mountains, I've decided to start looking for the right tool for the job...a sturdy FR style bike with more travel. I'm 6'1", 240 lbs, starting to get into doing drops comfortably up to 4' on my 5" travel bike, but wanting to go bigger...not too big, though...getting too old and smart for that ;)

Although I won't be needing a lot of travel for big hits, I'm thinking that 7-8" travel would be better for my weight.

Being a patriotic Canadian, I'd kind of like to buy from a Cdn company so I've been thinking about bikes like the RMX, Norco Shore, Devinci 8 Flat 8, Banshee Scream.

Does anyone have any experience with these bikes or know how these frames and pivots hold up to heavier riders? Any other recommendations or suggestions for bikes, forks, etc, would be appreciated. This bike will mainly be used for dh'ing the good stuff after fire-road climbs or lift-access so durability comes before weight and pedaling efficiency.

Edit: Wow! just checked the price on the RMX's...I won't be getting one of those :eek:

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
bigwheel said:
After 20 yrs of riding XC style bikes down mountains, I've decided to start looking for the right tool for the job...a sturdy FR style bike with more travel. I'm 6'1", 240 lbs, starting to get into doing drops comfortably up to 4' on my 5" travel bike, but wanting to go bigger...not too big, though...getting too old and smart for that ;)

Although I won't be needing a lot of travel for big hits, I'm thinking that 7-8" travel would be better for my weight.

Being a patriotic Canadian, I'd kind of like to buy from a Cdn company so I've been thinking about bikes like the RMX, Norco Shore, Devinci 8 Flat 8, Banshee Scream.

Does anyone have any experience with these bikes or know how these frames and pivots hold up to heavier riders? Any other recommendations or suggestions for bikes, forks, etc, would be appreciated. This bike will mainly be used for dh'ing the good stuff after fire-road climbs or lift-access so durability comes before weight and pedaling efficiency.

Edit: Wow! just checked the price on the RMX's...I won't be getting one of those :eek:
The Devincis are nice, FSR all the way, with no brake jack! Pedaling efficiency. I personally like the lines much more than any of the other rides.

bigwheel

Monkey
May 24, 2004
Canada
crairsoft said:
Dude what price range are you looking for? The RMX isnt that bad compared to many others. Unless its the RMX 3.
Haven't really settled on a price yet, but I'd like to keep it under $4000 Cdn. I won't pay full price for a bike, but RMX's retail from $4500-$6500 Cdn. Seems like a lot for the same aluminum and parts as everyone else is using. If I'm spending that much, I'll wait for the Turner Highline, not a single-pivot with a lot of extra moving parts.

When it comes down to looks. I like the Devinci and Banshee, mostly because of the traditional front triangle with uninterrupted seat tubes...which makes a heavy rider feel safer :oink: :) . I've demo'ed a few of the bikes, I liked the feel of the Shore the most. I wasn't convinced the 64.5 deg head angle of the Devinci felt right...but is that just a matter of getting used to? Seemed really slack unless it was pointed down a steep hill.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
My vote would be for the Norco. I really like the hydrofomed tubing. The increased standover clearance is really nice too. I wonder if the Scream might be too much bike?

If you are on a budget, the Transition is very nice. Shorter cockpit, but that might suit you?

bigwheel

Monkey
May 24, 2004
Canada
I was also wondering if the Scream might be too much bike, but I was considering them because of price, strength and style. I doubt that I'll ride it hard enough to require such a frame.

Transition, huh? I'll look into those.

I'm used to a TT length of about 23.5"-24"...should I be looking for the same in a FR bike?

bigwheel

Monkey
May 24, 2004
Canada
When it comes to choosing between a 7" or 8" travel frame, what should be some deciding factors? I keep thinking that if I built a reasonably light 7" bike that pedals well, then maybe I could sell my 5" bike. Seems to me that I'd want to keep my current bike if I decided to get a heavy 8" bike.

If I'm not anticipating myself doing bigger drops than 4-5', should I stick with a 7" SC fork(66)? Or does a 8" DC(888) fork make more sense for my 240lbs?

Yeah, I like the Knolly...but, unfortunately it costs way more than I want to spend.

ctrailfreak

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Independence,Mo
bigwheel said:
When it comes to choosing between a 7" or 8" travel frame, what should be some deciding factors? I keep thinking that if I built a reasonably light 7" bike that pedals well, then maybe I could sell my 5" bike. Seems to me that I'd want to keep my current bike if I decided to get a heavy 8" bike.

If I'm not anticipating myself doing bigger drops than 4-5', should I stick with a 7" SC fork(66)? Or does a 8" DC(888) fork make more sense for my 240lbs?

Yeah, I like the Knolly...but, unfortunately it costs way more than I want to spend.
If all your doing is 4 or 5ft drops and not all to flat then lots of bikes will handle that! I'm 6'8" and about the same weight as you. I ride a 2004 Kona Stinky. It has 6 inches in the back and I used to have a z-150 up front and loved it until I started doing drops larger than 7ft.

I traded it for a 2003 Monster T and have started doing larger drops on it now up to about 9ft and wanten to go even bigger. All I need is the 6" in the back and have never bottomed out my stinky.

If you are not going to do any more than 4 or 5 ft then dont get 7 or 8 inches of travel you will never use it all! Stick with 5 or 6 and be able to use all the travel but not bottom it out. I would also stay with 6 up front! You should be fine with 6 front and rear up to 9ft or so. If the suspension is set up right then it shouldn't bottom out but use all most all of the travel on any of the drops you do.

The 66 is a killer fork, But... You could get by with a Z-150 or the new Z-1 freeride with 150mm travel . Just my thoughts. Chris...

snoopz666

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
now residing in kamloops
my vote is 100% for the norco shore, (i rode a 8flat8 once and didnt really like the geo either) waht year would you be looking at, i dont like the look of the 06 at all looks a lots weaker then this year.

id get the 05 if i where you, i ride the aline(1 level down) and ive abused it prety bad. now im a lightweight(165pounds) but ive hit huge drops(20 feet atleast) and never had a problem at all. so with the shore i think you should be fine. and its not a bad bike to pedal at all, i can climb hills prety good considering the weight of the bike. theres is very little bob for me at all. but if you do get the shore i think new springs will be in order, both front and rear.

bigwheel

Monkey
May 24, 2004
Canada
Thanks for all the info so far. One of the reasons that I'm looking for a another bike is that I feel like I'm really beating up my 5" bike. I have a Vanilla 125 fork (yellow spring) that bottoms out on any drop more than 2' high. Doesn't seem to be any way to adjust my current setup for my weight. I'm starting to think that 6"-7" bike with a Marzocchi 20mm fork might be the answer.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
The RMX, although a bit pricey (look used) is an AWESOME bike! I have one, and I love it! I do everything on it from riding street around the city, to drops, to racing DH on it. In my opinion, Rocky Mountain has unsurpassed quality. The thrustlink, although weird and complicated, feels amazing. if you are in Canada, go and ride one around. They are awesome!

That being said, I also like the Norco Line. I had (still have actually, for sale) an '02 Norco Shore with a SuperT+ on it, and that bike definantly served its purpose. The guy I bought it from got a newer shore, and I rode his around and it felt really good too.

Check into used RMX's or Shore's and i'm sure you'll be happy. Make sure you get a spring that is right for you weight also.

bigwheel

Monkey
May 24, 2004
Canada
I was ->this<- close to buying a RM6 that I had demo'ed about 5 yrs ago. Somehow got talked out of it from a few friends that owned them because of issues with the thrustlink becoming loose and clunky. But I'm hearing now that Rocky has it figured out. Coming from an XC background, I also thought it was too heavy...oh well, I know better now :)

Recently rode a friends RM7, which I really liked. Also had a chance to ride an '04 Shore again last night. I like the fit and feel of that frame as well.

Apparently, I was a bit confused about suspension travel before. I thought more travel would be better to deal with more weight. I'm starting to realize that a properly setup 6-7" bike will more than suit my needs....just gotta find the right bike at the right price.

Thanks for all the suggestions and recommendations, they've definitely helped narrow down my search and steered me away from a too big of bike that would've been too heavy to really have fun with :thumb:

butthead

Chimp
Dec 17, 2001
Las Cruces, NM
I'll second the vote on the Dirtbag. I've had one for about a year and a half now. I'm 6'2" and weigh 250 lbs. (was pushing 280 for a while). I have yet to have any problems. I don't notice any significant flex or anything along those lines. With the Dangerboy plates, there is a 6" or 7" setting. You could swap to 6" if you wanted to do a trail ride or something. At less than $1000 (roughly $1200 CAD) for a 7" travel frame, I can't really think of a much better deal out there.

JacobDW

Monkey
Feb 22, 2005
Manassas, VA
Yeah Transition is a rider owned company and totally cool with their customers.... I ordered the single ring kit and got the double by mistake, three days later I had the single ring kit I was missing, and got to keep the spare double ring parts, AND they also kiscked in a FREE hanger for my troubkles. TOTALLY awesome dudes.
-Jacob

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Since you are not set on a larger travel bike, maybe you should consider a Norco Six. Personally, I love the look of that bike and it is more thatn beefy enough to take whatever you throw at it. Good price, good spec. Comes in 5 sizes too. And, of course, it's Canadian! NSMB did a full review of it recently.

Between the Six and the Dirtbag you can't go wrong.

bigwheel

Monkey
May 24, 2004
Canada
Wow, I like the specs & geometry of the Norco Six....and if it handles/fits/rides similar to the Shore, it'd definitely be a good option. Thanks for mentioning it.

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
Kona is now Canadian, I'll put in my vote for the Stab Primo. All kinds of good deals on older ones around if you're willing to go used. I know of all kinds of big guys riding those with no issues. If you're willing to stray from the Canadian thing, I'd say the lower end Demo 9. The Scream, though not as well engineered, is really well built. Friend of mine is 6'7 and 250 and HAS broken one, but only through some ridiculous abuse. Good thing was that Banshee got him riding again under their warranty with basically no questions asked.