Quantcast

BIG Urban, FAT gaps, and 20' drops...on a Yeti ASX?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
So I'm in the process of selling my bike and building something new for a change(while my arm grows back together).
So I've been looking at an ASX for it's said prowess on skinnies and techy stuff. But I like to rage it more often than not with midnight urban assaults on my town with 10' flats, big stairgaps and the old launch ramp-to car-jump by every hill in town. Then I like to get dirty with the Drop crew and hit up 20-30 foot gaps that I USUALLY make, and within the last 2 weeks have stepped it up to 20' drops. Now, while I won't be doing these every day and they are supposed to be nice and smooth, I'm still an idiot and I can crash on anything! So, will a Yeti take it? I mean, I don't want to just get by, I want to step it all up more! I just haven't seen any insane stuff done on an ASX. If not the Yeti, any opinions on an all around freeride frame that will handle mostly urban, with lots of jumps, drops, skinnies, and pedaling, and still rip it up in the dirt and in the air?
I currently have a Dirtbag, refuse to ride a Banshee, and not sure if I like the Bullets, which,ironically,is similar to the ASX???
I also like the Orange Patriot 7+, any opinions?

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
I would like a pic of a 10' to flat. Or even a 20' to tranny then we can help you out.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Lexx D said:
I would like a pic of a 10' to flat. Or even a 20' to tranny then we can help you out.
Oh dude, I wish I coulld! I've got like 7 really sweet looking photos that I want to show off, but I'm using a "shop unit" borrowed harddrive and the stupid thing won't recognise my scanner. Makes me feel good to know that the shop rebuilding my harddrive doesn't know why my scanner won't work! :help:
I'll have to figure something out with that, I promised Allen over at www.dropnzone.com some killer pics, too.
And if you guys think any of that is silly, you gotta meet Adam "Nokian Killer" Hamberger doing it all right behind me on an STP hardtail! Now THAT'S cool! I wonder if he has a scanner...

I would agree with the "needing something bigger" reply, but I'm doing all now on a 6" travel Transition Dirtbag...with ease.
And the 10' to flat might be little BS as I know we can reach the edge when we stand on our top tubes to climb up. I know we've been exagerating a few things to keep the BMXers at bay(we're having a video competition between the mtn bikers and the BMXicans here...nothing better to do!), and maybe that was one of the things we didn't want to be shown up on by a little kids bike! The BMXers here are nuts! Here I am trying to find more travel and they are adding more air to their tires! :angry:

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
stoney98 said:
You'll be fine. The ASX will easily be able to handle that, I've been doing nearly that on mine for quite a while now. Just make sure you've setup your suspension correctly, as bottomouts are VERY bad for any frame.
COOL. OK, now do you still love your ASX or are you ready to try something new? What would you rather have? I keep reading how great the ASX is on skinny stuff. True or just the writers point of veiw? 'Cuz I love that stuff...but I kinda suck at it and would like to be able to blame the bike! :thumb:

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
patriot=low bottom bracket dh sled
asx=strong freeride frame/dh sled with geometry more oriented to the freeride side of things if i remeber correctly.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
biggins said:
asx=strong freeride frame/dh sled with geometry more oriented to the freeride side of things if i remeber correctly.
oh yeah....the geometry that makes it optimal on skinnies that I want so bad...I'm an airhead. I'll probably forget and ask that question again in like an hour. Too many hits to the head, i'd say, but I can't remeber????

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
as well, with the asx you can run a front derailleur, i dont think you can on the patriot but i may be horribly wrong.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
The Yeti has taken everything I've thrown at it... however it sounds like you are gonna throw a lot more at it than I have :D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
biggins said:
The Patriot 7+ isn't the same as their DH frame despite the way it looks. Way more freeride oriented geometry.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Suggestion:

What about the astrix huckster? I've been dying to hear some results on them. I don't mean to throw you into the guinea pig pile, but they certainly look built for just what you're looking to do, and judging from the build quality of the havoc i saw, i'd bet you (or mnyself, for that matter) wouldn't be disappointed.

Just a suggestion. I'd do it myself, but I don't ride enough freeride/dh/at all to justify buying one. For my next bike...in the future....maybe :rolleyes: I really like the design, regardless.

Don't mean to derail or nuthin, but the thought came to mind....

Attachments

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Don't worry about hijacking threads with me, I'm here for opinions! What
I've heard about the Astrix is that it is loooong. Not good for skinnies and urban.

Any other options if not the Yeti? I'm primarily urban, but my urban ideals are big jumps, drops to flat, and stairgaps, soon alley gaps(when I heal). So basically my urban isn't a break from the dirt, it just hurts more when I land!
So, I need a Gap, jump, drop, urban, pedal machine that is under 40 pounds and can be bunnyhopped while still sucking up a f*cked up 20+' drop. Huffy?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
looks like they have a new frame, the stryke, with shorter chainstays (but a longer top tube?)

Now I'm really going to derail- is it possibly they simply swapped shocks, and somehow the relative chainstay length shrunk, but the top tube increased? :mumble: i'm confused....i would suggest that bike with a longer shock maybe, it looks identical to the huckster, but perhaps shorter....who knows.

WTF?

Anyways...I like their bikes.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
MMcG said:
Is this guy a relative of Knuckleslammer??? :)
I'm outside the loop on this one, but I assume I'll need to show you my middle finger if/when we ever ride together! :sneaky:

I'll have to check on the Vp...wait, wasn't it a medium? I really do belong on a smaller frame. I have BIG JUNK that gets in the way often...hey it's my thread, let me dream!

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Was just on SC's website. Not sure why I would think the Bullit is OK for what I want to do and then doubt the ASX???? It's the same damn bike, but less peeps ride the Yeti, whish is kinda what I'm after!

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I don't really know if there's a perfect bike for you. I kind of think the right bike would be a custom steel bike like a BMW or Hood but they're going to be pretty heavy. My AS-X takes all the abuse I can give it but I've got tiny huevos, I don't do anything over 5' or so. Between the bullit and AS-X I'd give the edge to the AS-X because of the 1.5 headtube, superior easton tubeset, swing link and slightly lower bottom bracket. I think the rear end of the AS-X is slightly stiffer than that of a bullet but still a little flexy.

krustydude

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
Richland, WA
You may already know this but the new ASX is beefed up a little. They added bearings where the shocks connects to the swing arm, and the thickened the plates where the swing link mounts to the frame. Apparently the holes in the mounts ovalize. Make sure you get a newer one and go crazy.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Awesome to know, krusty.
Bighitspec, I'm probably gonna run my old super t again. I almost wish they would come up with a bombproof steer tube for a single crown, I would like to add X-ups to my "trick list"...then I would have TWO. But yeah, probably my Super T until I decide on a new and better option...like an '05 Fox Fork after the lottery peeps call me?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
OK, for you Yeti owners... How's the fit? Technically, I'm 5' 8", but I'm kinda small with short legs. Like my jeans are 32 30 and I walk around on the hems, that kinda short legedness!

Yeah..I've got some issues...BACK OFF! :)

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
I'm 5'9" with pretty average-length lergs, maybe a tiny bit on the long side, and I ride a medium, which fits well, if not a little large. According to Yeti, you should ride a medium, but if you were 5'7", you would ride a small. Since you probably have the leg length of someone who is about 5'7", I would go ahead and get the small, using a slightly long stem if necessary. A little extra standover height can't hurt, but take it from me, a lack thereof definitely can!

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
hey, the other one is the color I got... actually it was the color that was available when I bought it so that's what I took home. In the end it's all about riding, not about looking like a sorority girl.