Quantcast

Big

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
I have tried to build step up step off jumps at my trails and they never work, the step up to flat eats soooo much speed it makes the step off near impossible. they must be going into that section at 35-40 mph.

If you make it it is probably sooo much fun, if you don't it would just suck. . . .

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
rad.... i like seeing different setups, whether they 'work' or not, or what you have to do to make it work . . . either skills-wise or track re-design if it really doesn't work.

. . . .kind of off-topic but has there ever been a race (besides HELLTRACK) where you get judged not just on crossing the finish line but on tricks/style/lines etc. too? what if a track had multiple options in lots of spots.

mashup of slopestyle and 4x . . . . or park version like at Ray's. haul ass through the pump track stuff then have lines where you boost for tricks then keep going. you'd have to be the best racer and style rider. hmmm. this calls for another sierra nevada.

Last edited:

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
I am thinking the same thing, at my trails there is a center section you can ride as a lap, but you really need a certain level of fitness and skill because it gains about 30 feet of elevation, but if you do the complete run it is literally 35 jumps maybe more, I am thinking jump track nationals this year, I do have a friend with a legit timing system for xc racing. . . . it just might go down. . .

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
I have tried to build step up step off jumps at my trails and they never work, the step up to flat eats soooo much speed it makes the step off near impossible. they must be going into that section at 35-40 mph.

If you make it it is probably sooo much fun, if you don't it would just suck. . . .
Yeah, not to mention something like that can take a lot of dirt to make depending on where it is. You are right those guys must be hauling to make that work - and when the camera is right next to them on the first set it looks fast.

I might try to build and up - flat - down at my spot this summer. It's a downhill section and I think that will make it work and shave some speed. As it was last year, I needed to use brakes to prevent overshooting.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
. . .kind of off-topic but has there ever been a race (besides HELLTRACK) where you get judged not just on crossing the finish line but on tricks/style/lines etc. too? what if a track had multiple options in lots of spots.

mashup of slopestyle and 4x . . . . or park version like at Ray's. haul ass through the pump track stuff then have lines where you boost for tricks then keep going. you'd have to be the best racer and style rider. hmmm. this calls for another sierra nevada.
Martin whitely of 23 degrees sports management fame organised a race entitled 'free cross' in the uk a while back. Think Stephen Murray won on a Revell bike. It was quite cool but also most riders were worried about attempting a trick and dumping on the guy behind them who had gone racer low etc. Plus there is the issue that some people think a high and flat table is more stylish than a barspin or no hander say....

To try and get a time scale of when it was Roger Rinderknecht was there on a nicolai and Chopper fielder was riding a g-bikes frame

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
okay my MS Paint skills super suck!

most bmx track step ups have mellower launches and the step up is not as high vertically.... so you're still hauling ass horizontally.

but with the steep take off to tall step up, if you can only barely get up to the step up landing . . then you're pretty much in your zero g point when you are landing. and you're not moving horizontally as fast as if you had launched off a flatter jump.

so if you're going to have a steep takeoff with a tall step up and you want riders to actually pump the landing at the top you would want the landing to be steeper and also a little less elevated so that riders can dive into it with a little more gravity. looks like that's how the Crankworx ones were done.

.... step up with steep/deep landing to ribbon 90 degree berm to launch..... gnarly... i kept thinking someone was gonna kill themselves on this, but i don't think anyone did.

Luckynumber13

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
NJ
okay my MS Paint skills super suck!

most bmx track step ups have mellower launches and the step up is not as high vertically.... so you're still hauling ass horizontally.

but with the steep take off to tall step up, if you can only barely get up to the step up landing . . then you're pretty much in your zero g point when you are landing. and you're not moving horizontally as fast as if you had launched off a flatter jump.

so if you're going to have a steep takeoff with a tall step up and you want riders to actually pump the landing at the top you would want the landing to be steeper and also a little less elevated so that riders can dive into it with a little more gravity. looks like that's how the Crankworx ones were done.

.... step up with steep/deep landing to ribbon 90 degree berm to launch..... gnarly... i kept thinking someone was gonna kill themselves on this, but i don't think anyone did.

i think some kid snapped his arm off of it and greg watts fell off the side of it too but didnt get hurt