Quantcast

BIIIG 888 trouble

mtbpaint1

Monkey
Apr 25, 2005
University of Connecticut
following is copied and pasted from AIM i have a virus on my computer so it would take a looong time to type in actual terms (i was telling one of my buddies that dont know to much) so sorry if i sound newbish ill answer all questions

ok here's what happened. I was going fast today and hit a rock on trail to kind of hard and blew up my forks rebound catridge (so whenever i compressed the fork it would shoot back up) i brought it down to the shop and one of the guys said eh i could ride it the rest of the day but i would have to send it back into the manufactur so i went up the lift went down that same trail than it got reeeaaally crazy the fork was going insane on me and i knew something was going to go wrong so at the middle of the trail i stopped next to these two kids compressed the fork and BAM it blew up stantions came out of the lowers parts flew everywhere spring flew like 50 feet down the hill oil went over me and these kids. So if i hadnt of stopped that exact moment it would have happened when i was riding

Alright i bought it used but when i bought it (with my Canfield) it had very few rides on it (2 months) ill call Marzocchi tomorrow but i heard they have very good customer service according to a topic froma couple of days ago but i couldnt read all of it cause of the damned virus.

This was at Mount Snow i raced Saturday and just rode Sunday (today) i dont know what im asking i guess for someone just to comfort me and tell me it will be ok and ill be able to ride soon. lol thanks

b-man

Chimp
May 25, 2002
ct
From your story, I think that the only way you'll be able to be riding soon is if you get your fork replaced...parts BLOWING OUT of the fork most likely do not mean good things, you're lucky you stopped where you did. Call up 'Zocchi, ask them what do to, that's really your only option. A shop wouldn't have a clue what to do with a totally blown up fork. Good luck, I'm curious as to how a blown rebound cartridge could cause that...

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
LOL! Thats the funniest thing I've heard in a while! ok, sorry, it'll be ok. One thing that comes to mind is that you have EVERY part of the fork. If not, I don't think Marz would be too crazy about it. But man, that sounds awesome! :thumb: Tell the marz tech the exact same thing you posted and you'll be golden. See what they say.

Ok, seriously. They should be able to help you. That is definitely not, should I say, normal. good luck with that. man, these dounuts are good!

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
sounds to me like the previous owner wasn't completely honest about the conditon of the fork. This is the first I have heard of an 888 malfunctioning in such a manner...never the less call up Marzocchi and they will take care of you...D

ZEDMAN

Monkey
Nov 19, 2003
S.F. California
motomike said:
Maybe the two bolts at the bottom of the lowers came loose? The rebound side, then the compression side. That should do it. right?
that would be the only real way for the stanchions to come out of the lowers. either the bolts came off or the rod inside broke both would end in an "explosion" sending parts all over......

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
ZEDMAN said:
that would be the only real way for the stanchions to come out of the lowers. either the bolts came off or the rod inside broke both would end in an "explosion" sending parts all over......
yeah I just can't imagine BOTH cartridges breaking.

mtbpaint1

Monkey
Apr 25, 2005
University of Connecticut
yeah a couple of people said the rod probaly broke.

ive had the bike since Feb. so it didnt have to do with the previous owner

Thanks a lot guys im starting to fee a little better. Probaly a no for racing Platty on the 10th eh?

Only if those kids had a camera and i didnt stop it would have been pretty insane to watch

How

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Area 51
hmm... sounds like it was assembled improperly, the fork is design to *not* do that.

I'll bet you'll be able to solve the problem without having to get a new fork though... i'd give it another chance but let a shop fix it who know what they're doing, a lot of my friends have had luck with the 888s

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Yeah either the nuts that hold the lowers on or the rods broke, the rods are easy to break if you don't work on them right. THe nuts could have come loose, then you'd loose oil and thus the rebound damp would go bye-bye, but that would be easy to tell i could think....sounds like a big problem to talk to the previous owner about, unless you pulled the forl apart.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
how can the stanchions come out of the lowers when you COMPRESS (being "push DOWN") on the fork?? or did they come out upon rebounding?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
If you bought a Canfield used, then chances are the original owner was a "tech geek" who bought he Canfield to have something techno. I'm betting Mr. Techno likes to disassemble and reassemble all hsi parts and "fine tune" them. I'm also guessing he took that 888 apart and "tuned" it to perfection...much like Homer Simpson making a delicious batch of homemade beer...:rolleyes:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I had the exact same thing happen to me..... oh wait, no I didn't. ;) Send it to Zoke. Chances are you didn't find all the parts.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Sounds like a pretty exciting day. I don't understand how all of that could have happened when you compressed the fork. Did you mean that it came apart when rebounding from that trail-side compression? Or did all this stuff blow out from the top of the fork?

If it came out the top, the only thing I can think of is the top caps were loose. If it didn't blow out the top, and the nuts on the lowers seem fine, you either broke the damper rods or they were not properly assembled.

The top caps are attached to the damper rods with dual-threaded jam nuts. They are a little tricky to loosen, and some people leave them loose when they reassemble the fork on the theory that it will be easier to pull apart next time. If Zoke or the seller did it wrong it might have caused a failure, in which case the fork could come apart even though everything looks fine at the lowers and on top. If the bushings were in decent shape and the nuts on the lowers were fine, I think it would be pretty tough to snap a damper rod any other way but stranger things have happened. Good luck.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
So the rebount cart. either broke,came un threaded or the c-clip in the top of the cart dislodged. Happens occasionally.

Then some fool told you it was OK to keep riding it.

Then without any rebound damping the fork was toping out so hard inside of the compression cart in the other leg that in 1 run it broke too,luckily not killing you.

Go to the shop and find the fool that said it was OK to ride it and punch him in the throat so he can't speak to anyone else.Then look in the mirror and tell yourself to use a little common sense.

2 carts will run you about $250.00 or so and you should be running again.No, Zoke won't cover the 2nd hand broken carts.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
leprechaun said:
Go to the shop and find the fool that said it was OK to ride it and punch him in the throat so he can't speak to anyone else.Then look in the mirror and tell yourself to use a little common sense.
Bah ha ha,
I had to look twice to make sure that I did not type that.
Thanks for reading my mind. :D

In the 2 years I have been on a 888. The only problem I ever had was that my gorilla thumbs messed up a c-clip one time. I put it back in bent, and out on the trail, it popped out. When something like that happens, it makes such a horribly noise, you know for a 100% fact that you should not ride the fork.
Common sense.
In my case, I needed another 2 cent c-clip and I was back riding.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
bizutch said:
I'm also guessing he took that 888 apart and "tuned" it to perfection...much like Homer Simpson making a delicious batch of homemade beer...:rolleyes:
that was my thought as well...D

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Not to derail the thread, but I'd definately get one of those $100+ Krypto or similar locks, the giant NYC ones that weigh a ton but they claim to be cutproof. I paid around $50 for a masterlock one that was similar. I'd take a cordless dremel if I wanted your rig for parts and just cut that off. Seriously man, what's a $100 lock on a $3000+ bike?

Otherwise sick ride though...like stated above, you'll probably just need new cartridges and get it filled up to the right oil height, and have it assembled correctly and you should be fine. Marz forks aren't known for having issues like this so I'm guessing it's just a fluke OR the previous owner tinkered with it too much. Bike people sometimes tend to do that :)

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
So tell us if you can,
is there anything left inside the upper tubes,are there 2 rods sticking down?
If so,the carts failed.
If not,the nuts just came loose and it all fell apart.

If you look into the lower tubes the carts will tell you just what happened.

Nice Go-Ride sticker-- you can barely notice the Risse crowns behind it! :D

You said the springs "shot out"-but the top caps are still on-are you exagerating just a little??

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Yeah but for them to fly on compression you'd need to blow the top caps off, or drop the lowers off with the cartridge snapped below the preload caps.