Quantcast

bike apps for android

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Droid monkeys (or iphone monkeys as most of the usefull stuff from apple store is on droid too) Im looking for a bike app for my droid phone.
What do you recomend?
Id really want one with:
-Intervals
-No need to be constantly connected to the net as I tend to get into areas with no reception.

Ive heard of sportstracker. What is the differance between the pro and standard one?
What about cycle tracker pro?
Anything else Im missing?

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
I recently downloaded AllSport GPS ( on Droid )and its been awesome. Works well in areas w/ no reception and it maps it out on Topo, which I like, or other maps. Has different charts; time, distance, speed, ect. Its free unless you go w/ the pro version then its about 10 I think.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Cycle meter on my iPod...
Care to elaborate?

milohead - that is cool as sports tracker seems to rely on strong signal as they advice you to run it in an armband (Im not stupid, I use a case in my backpack. I want to check it back home and take it out only for road/xc invervals)

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
Care to elaborate?

milohead - that is cool as sports tracker seems to rely on strong signal as they advice you to run it in an armband (Im not stupid, I use a case in my backpack. I want to check it back home and take it out only for road/xc invervals)
Allsport recommends putting it in an armband as well but I have had no problems just stickin it in the top pocket of my Camel Pack.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
MyTracks (from Google) is a really simple tracker to use. Not sure on intervals but it does the job nicely for me and you can just upload the track straight to your google account.

It's also free, so no harm in giving it a go

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
MyTracks (from Google) is a really simple tracker to use. Not sure on intervals but it does the job nicely for me and you can just upload the track straight to your google account.

Id really want to try them all but it would take ages so I try to narrow it down to my next few trips since they will be half assed anyway (still a broken finger so anytime it gets bumpy I ride 1 handed).

Google I want to do for sure since I like how their stuff interconnects.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Doesnt work for me. Your privacy settings may block me from seeing it. Google tends to set everything as private by default.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
I have Endomondo on my WP7 and it works pretty well. I think it will even display your position live on their site.

But personally I would recommend a dedicated gps like the Garmin Edge. I hear that gps apps on phones really eat up the battery. I can get about 15 hours or so on my Edge. And the training functions are really cool. I can do a loop and then race myself. I also use it for turn-by-turn navigation on road rides.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
But personally I would recommend a dedicated gps like the Garmin Edge. I hear that gps apps on phones really eat up the battery. I can get about 15 hours or so on my Edge. And the training functions are really cool. I can do a loop and then race myself. I also use it for turn-by-turn navigation on road rides.
I think getting a stand alone GPS is silly unless you are using it a LOT. The whole point of a smart phone is that it eliminates and combines all those devices. Anything the Edge does a good app can do too. I don't own a GPS for my car either and I never use my ipod any more. Disconnected my home phone as well.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
i use googles "my tracks" and actually like it a lot, with the connection to my maps and google docs you can keep track of your rides and it works nice. it's not a bike specific tracker, but does what i personally need. i also tried "sporty pal" and have "endomondo" downloaded (but not tried yet). i didn't like sportypal too much (but i couldn't say why, actually) and endomondo looks interesting with the online features....
but at the moment i only use my tracks. and i like it.
GPS signal seems strong enough to keep the phone in the backpack or in a pocket, no problems so far.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I tryed the google tracks and it seems pretty good but I can't figure out how to preload maps. I try to keep my data useage low so being able to download them while on wifi is a big deal.
I've been using Backcountry navigator. It's $10 for the full version but you can get unlimited USGS topo maps and preload them onto your SD card.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Tested sports track today. Works nice but when I change units already loaded tracks stay in the previous ones which sucks. Also do you have to buy the pro version to upload?

Tomorrow Google, then Endomoto.

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
I think getting a stand alone GPS is silly unless you are using it a LOT. The whole point of a smart phone is that it eliminates and combines all those devices. Anything the Edge does a good app can do too. I don't own a GPS for my car either and I never use my ipod any more. Disconnected my home phone as well.
Do the Android GPS Apps work well when they are in your pocket? My Edge is even close to accurate when I have it in a pocket VS. mounted to my bar.

Also, I have ridden in every weather condition w/ my Edge and it is just like a Ducks Anus. I would not bring my Smart Phone in a rain storm but I will ride in one.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Care to elaborate?

It tracks my speed, route (google maps) distance, time as well as elevation and calories but those two seem to be a bit dodgy.
It works most of the time and allmost everywhere ive ridden.
Syncs with facebook and all that stuff too and allthough I dont use that feature it seems to work fine with some of my buddies.

Theres some more features to it that you can find when u look up the app in the app store.

Just type cyclemeter and youll find it...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

Thanks!

I tried it this morning and it's nice. I had TrailGuru but it could never find my location, so it never recorded anything. I tried MyTrails, but it didn't seem to track information other than the route (maybe I'm just a jackass) but this worked well. It tracked my commute to work and matched it up with the google map of the trail I ride.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Do the Android GPS Apps work well when they are in your pocket? My Edge is even close to accurate when I have it in a pocket VS. mounted to my bar.

Also, I have ridden in every weather condition w/ my Edge and it is just like a Ducks Anus. I would not bring my Smart Phone in a rain storm but I will ride in one.
I think reception probably has more to do with the hardware than anything. My Atrix works fine in my car or house or pocket, regardless of whether or not it has a view of the sky.
I do ride in the rain, but I don't really need to have a constant view of a GPS so a bar mounted unit would be silly anyways. Route and location are handy if you become lost.
I use a Sealine E-case and it stays dry and still lets me use the touch screen.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

I dont need my smartphone for real navigation unless I get really lost and it freaks me out. I dont like to rely on navigation too much as getting lost from time to time means I can find new sweet local trails.
As for tracking quality - when connected to the net (ie back home) it readjusts really well and remembers your track.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i've got mapmyride, and it's been OK so far. Definitely not user friendly, but it accurately tracked my ride on a rather twisty trail north of boston. Tracked time and altitude as well. I don't like that they make you sign in, but whatever.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Any app does speed history like sports tracer?

Google seems nice but basic. Tried also endomoto but cant find any info on it. Is the free version really that poor?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Not sure what's up with the GOogle tracks, but it seems to think my commute this morning was 49 miles with a max speed of 1,544.09 mph :rofl:

I had an average moving speed of 180.76mph, I had no idea I was going that fast.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
mapmyride gives me average speed, pace, and splits...
as does google's mytracks... plus statistical and geographical waypoints, min/max elevation, min/max grade, max speed, average moving speed, average speed, elevation plus speed diagram, upload to google docs and google mymaps....... :D
only niggle seems to be that the elevation data seems to be a bit inaccurate, which i have been told is a general problem with gps apps for mobile phones.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
yup, GPS in general isn't good at altitude. Dedicated GPS' also have a seperate way of recording the elevation in them
yup but from what Ive seen google ended up with the biggest errors (ie it finds hills on flat ground). It all comes down to the algorithm

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
You mean I didn't really encounter a 50% grade on my last ride? But that hill was steep!!!!
Yeah I tested it while walking in the city center and I had to use a safety harness to get across the road ;) Cities are hardcore places.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Mine still says I did over 2kmph :rofl:

I don't see a calibrate or anything. I just put my phone in my backpack.

<edit>
Oh hey, it wasn't crazy this morning.
6 miles
25mph max
11.78mph average
220 ft elevation gain.

So who is more accurate, my cateye or mytracks?

6.4 miles
25.6mph max
12.2mph average

Last edited:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Ok, what I want to know is why GPS units are trying to tell elevation change when for the most part that's already recorded into maps. Going through www.mapmyride.com you can plot a course (it's google maps based, I'm pretty sure) and find out the elevation and elevation changes of any of the roads that you plan on using. I'm just surprised that MyTracks hasn't incorporated that (and it's also hard/impossible to find if you import your route from your phone into My Google Maps, so maybe it's *not* a google maps product?).

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I went for a bigger trip today with Endomondo and it is awesome. Gives you all sorts of data and even records your playlist if you are stupid and forgot a song you were doing on a crazy climb or sth.

Though I also noticed that having a rear tube that looses any air over 1.5bar when riding with 2.1'' panaracer fire tires kills my speed. Still went for a 2hour ride but the float was driving me nuts.

btw. Endomondo seems heavy on the social side. It's good as making training a game seems to motivate me. Even if for now I only ride my trailbike and getting a road bike would be very usefull for the city.