Quantcast

Bike chain (for lock, not pedaling) question

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Hey, not sure if this is the best place for this question as it's been ages since i've posted but here goes.

i have an old Kryptonite NYC Fahgettaboudit lock and chain combo but would like to use a smaller chain as the one i have is pretty long and weighs a ton... it's probably around 5' long and i really only need one about 2' feet. the lock works fine so i don't want to shell out for the combo, i just want a shorter and lighter chain for locking my bike up in the city for short errands.

any suggestions? I did find this chain but i don't think my existing lock can fit through the chain links

thanks!

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I think those NYC chains are too heavy. I use a 8', 1/2 braided cable and a padlock with a disc-style keyed lock.

for the lightest option, but not the best protection, check out the small ski locks. Retractable steel cable, 4 digit combo. fits in your pocket.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I think those NYC chains are too heavy. I use a 8', 1/2 braided cable and a padlock with a disc-style keyed lock.

for the lightest option, but not the best protection, check out the small ski locks. Retractable steel cable, 4 digit combo. fits in your pocket.
yeah that is just asking for my bike to get yanked.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Braided cable can be clipped through easily. I had a key break off in a lock and was astonished when I was able to cut through it with little more than a pair of shitty side cutter in about 1 minute, it was a pretty decent sized cable, 3/8" or so.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Braided cable can be clipped through easily. I had a key break off in a lock and was astonished when I was able to cut through it with little more than a pair of shitty side cutter in about 1 minute, it was a pretty decent sized cable, 3/8" or so.
So can that dinky krytonite chain. You gotta go with 1/2" or larger grade 80 or 100 chain so that on abrasive tools or industrial hydraulic shears can cut it.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
So can that dinky krytonite chain. You gotta go with 1/2" or larger grade 80 or 100 chain so that on abrasive tools or industrial hydraulic shears can cut it.
is it that dinky though?

there's definitely a balance between risk and portability/weight.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
And what you could potentially use as weapon to beat back people.