Quantcast

Bike companies that are (somehow) still around

Which bike company still in business is the most surprising?

• Ellsworth

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Jamis

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • KHS

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Marin

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Ventana

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Foes

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • Cove

• Orange

• Cannondale

• Corsair

Votes: 13 14.9%

• Total voters

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Hukk

Their website was still up fairly recently, and not updated for a loooong time.
These zombie sites are so intriguing for some reason.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
And the first Moment frame. After the WTF-ness of the Id, with it's first version with auto-collapsing rockers, snapping chainstays and of course that classic 15.25" BB height, the Moment fixed much of the retardeness of the Id and made something much more comparable to the Turner 6pack/RFX that was on the scene. Again one of those "damage was done by now" type deals, the Id kind of soldiered along for many years being offered alongside the Moment, you know, if you wanted like a really stupid bike with a lot of travel and really dumb geometry.
http://www.feedthehabit.com/mountain-biking/2007-ellsworth-moment-bike-review/
The later Moments started getting weird..so not those.
I remember one of those being good, the one with the lower BB. I thought it was the ID but I guess it was the Moment.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
No mention of Evil yet...

They might be okay now, but after the whole Revolt + 2 weeks thing, its a little surprising that they stuck it out.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
kind of surprised any of the more boutique brands are doing well at the moment. With about 5 different tyre sizes, a million hub spacings and bb options, plus the joy of 2 different rear shock options (yay, metric!) how do you even figure out what to build? There must be a bunch of smaller manufacturers sitting on boxes of 27.5 frames, cursing the advent of 27.5+ and all its dentist satisfying features.

Anyone that focused on the MTB DJ scene has moved to freestyle fixed gear and now cx, who knows where the fickle winds will blow next

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I wonder what ever happened with Cheeta , I stepped away from the sport in 02 for family stuff and in 06 I got back into it shortly again and they where gone . I know towards the end the BMX line was more popular , the Prowler was breaking swingarms and the Proline was beating the crap out of the pivot bolts and bearings
i think they folded somewhere between '01-'03. I bought one of their slalom hardtails in 2002 on closeout. in retrospect it was probably going out of business sale. the back end is a little bit out of alignment.

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
i think they folded somewhere between '01-'03. I bought one of their slalom hardtails in 2002 on closeout. in retrospect it was probably going out of business sale. the back end is a little bit out of alignment.
yeah I heard they had alignment issues with some of the bmx stuff , bmx kept them alive IMO they sold more of those frame then mountain bike

.They had a poor manager for a while as well , dude was at one event at the start of the year and handed out a years worth of swag and gave away a bunch of stuff as well . The owner was pissed !!! it took them a while to recover from that as buddy handed out some Pro deals through the back door .

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Might as well throw iron horse in that mix.

Too many good choices. I can't decide.

Cannondale is actually making okay bikes........usually with only one stupid design choice per model :D
So the stiffness comparable to an average man seeing a picture of Margaret Thatcher is a feature?

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Nicolai must have burned tons of money on developing various GBoxxes for the tiny gearbox niche, only for everybody to start using Pinion. And even living in Germany i hardly ever see one of their bikes.

Bionicon's continued existence also baffles me.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Wow, Stratos, Cheeta, Mr Dirt...it's a who's who of failed brands (that were all pretty good choices for the time)

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Diamondback? Can't remember the last time I saw a Knucklebox suspended bike around here.

As for Haro and Mongoose, I figured they're still players in the DJ/Slalom market and/or sell through big box stores like Dicks and Walmart.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Did Ellsworth ever make a non-terrible frame? Everybody else on the list made something decent at least once or twice, Ellsworth, can't think of one.
My buddy had one of these back in the day. I remember being pretty jealous. Compared to my GT I-Drive it was a hucking and sending monster. It of course cracked while he was bunny hopping around on some curbs to impress a group of girls.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
it's been 100 responses and no one has said it, so i'll be that guy (despite somehow having decent luck with their stuff over the years).

crank bros
Are we expending the list to include component companies? If so...

Ringle
FSA
Box components
Marzocchi
Easton
Manitou
Hayes
Azonic (also makes WTF frames)
Ritchey
Urge
Kenda
Dean
Magura
Tioga
Kore
Hutchinson

and about 2 dozen others

Oh, and they're a frame company, but Surly too.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Ringle
FSA
Box components
Marzocchi
Easton
Manitou
Hayes
Ritchey
Urge
Kenda
Dean
Magura
Tioga
Kore
Hutchinson

and about 2 dozen others

FSA - really big in road, they just released an electronic drivetrain
Box - BMX company, have only recently entered MTB
Manitou - their new stuff is actually really good (dorado, Mattoc)
surly - they just did some major restructuring of their lineup (dropped a lot of models, esp fat bikes) but their prices are good. If i were to get a fat bike it'd probably be a surly. steel is real.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Ritchey is making some nice stuff, got a 220 degree wrap-around trail stem, it's beefy, and a 260 degree XC one.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Is FSA really that big on the road side of things? My road bike is all K-force, but it's also 10 years old, seems like you never see anything but Shimano groupsets with either 3T, Enve, or bike company house brand cockpits. May just be the local dentist's preference though.

I don't doubt Manitou makes a good fork, but who buys them? How did they survive the decade between the Sherman and the Matoc?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Is FSA really that big on the road side of things? My road bike is all K-force, but it's also 10 years old, seems like you never see anything but Shimano groupsets with either 3T, Enve, or bike company house brand cockpits. May just be the local dentist's preference though.

I don't doubt Manitou makes a good fork, but who buys them? How did they survive the decade between the Sherman and the Matoc?
I think FSA still has a decent OEM presence on low to mid range road bikes. I think their electronic drivetrain is a big push to build more market share in the high end.

Manitou... who knows. but they'd probably be dead if they hadn't been acquired by HBG.

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada

Ringle
FSA
Box components
Marzocchi
Easton
Manitou
Hayes
Ritchey
Urge
Kenda
Dean
Magura
Tioga
Kore
Hutchinson

and about 2 dozen others

Bullet Bros
White Bros

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I think FSA still has a decent OEM presence on low to mid range road bikes. I think their electronic drivetrain is a big push to build more market share in the high end.

Manitou... who knows. but they'd probably be dead if they hadn't been acquired by HBG.
Mérida and many other small european brands use FSA kits in their XC bikes. The bends in their riser bars are goddamn stupid though.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
from looking at their website, they're apparently focused on XC these days. probably why they're not our collective RM radar
The WCS trail stuff is worthy IME, the stem is beefier in person than it looks on the site. WCS trail pedals, etc. Yeah, not a whole lot of stuff, but a few things.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Nice Proline

how often did you have to replace the linkage bolts ?? LOL
After the linkage ripped out of the frame when I did the stadium jump at Northstar?

I think we reamed it out and put in some bigger bearings and somehow got ahold of another dogbone or two. They didn't really design the high-leverage parts for high-leverage.