Quantcast

Bike content: Rock Shox Revelation

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
First off, the Rock Shox website is not very clear. I'm trying to find a comp to a Fox 32 Float 150 FIT RLC and a buddy recommended any of the Revelations above the RLT. I am trying to find one without travel adjust, but the website is not clear as to which models those are.

Anybody know their line-up well enough to assist on this?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Yes, their website does indeed suck balls, and why do they have 286 versions of each fork? Christ, that's annoying. Not as annoying as QR15, but still...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Thanks guys. I find it amusing that I had to go to universal and Jenson to get more information about the forks than I could get from RS's website.

Also, how the hell can RS make the argyle 100mm weight .75# more than the 831. that makes for a very simple decision on the fork for the DJ.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
What are your thoughts on the carbon crown/steerer? i'm a big boy at 230 and I don't ride light...

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
What are your thoughts on the carbon crown/steerer? i'm a big boy at 230 and I don't ride light...
At 170# I'd ride one in a heartbeat. At 230# I bet you're still fine, but is saving, what, like 80g? really worth both the money and worrying about it? Not to me.

As far as the springs:

Dual Air = no travel adjust
Dual Position Air = travel adjust

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Don't be afraid to look at the RLT model also. RLT is the same system that used to be called Motion Control. Simple and adjustable. I am running a RLT Ti, which is the black box version of Motion control. If you like adjustably stay away from the XX dampers. They use a fixed compression setting with a remote lock out.

I was looking at the 2012 web site the other day. It looks like they are changing some of the names again this year, fvcing genius

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I just ordered an RLT Ti dual air. The travel is internally adjustable, 110mm, 130mm, and 150mm.

I agree that their nomenclature and website is confusing. Apparently the graphic designers at Specialized moonlight at Sram writing web copy.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Oh, yeah forgot to summarize the dampers:

-RLT used to be Motion Control. Works fine.
-RLT Ti is the same thing only with a Ti damper tube for moar coolness and it has a shimmed rebound damper for better control there.
-XX is for racer weenies who think they need lockout at the expense of damping sophistication. Avoid.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
How does the motion control damping feel vs. the Lyric/Boxxer damper?

Same vs. the Fox FIT?

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
How does the motion control damping feel vs. the Lyric/Boxxer damper?

Same vs. the Fox FIT?
I have a Lyric with mission control and a pike with motion control. Mission control is superior especially when taking hard or fast hits.

If you want a plush DH feel then motion control probably won't cut it.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I have a Lyric with mission control and a pike with motion control. Mission control is superior especially when taking hard or fast hits.

If you want a plush DH feel then motion control probably won't cut it.
Things have improved quite a bit since the Pike.

I've got a Lyric, and have owned a Totem and a 2010 Boxxer. I've got some time on a RLT Ti, and while it's not as adjustable as the Mission Control forks, it works very well. The shimmed rebound in the Ti really does make a difference, and while the Rev does give up a little in small bump compliance, it's still a really well damped, really well thought out fork.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
It's funny...everybody left rockshox because they made crap out of plastic, and moved to marzocchi. then rockshox kind of figured it out and started making real forks, and people bought them...now they're all making crap.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
The Revelation that I have on order is to replace my 1999 Marzocchi Z-1 Bam. Back in the day forks were made exclusively from this crazy material called metal, and they lasted a long time.
Magnesium lowers? I'm not really sure what you're getting at with this. Sure, some internal compression/rebound bits may be plastic, but I've rarely heard of them breaking. FWIW, the last fork part I broke was the spring in my '05 U-turn Pike (which I still have).

Forks haven't changed all that much construction wise in the past decade or so.......hence why I haven't seen the need to buy something new.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
It's funny...everybody left rockshox because they made crap out of plastic, and moved to marzocchi. then rockshox kind of figured it out and started making real forks, and people bought them...now they're all making crap.
The quality of my Dorado is stunning.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I dunno, whatever came on my 29er, so it can't be any fun/it sucks/makes me slow automatically. But seriously, it's not as good as the fox on my trek, there are no markings on the damping adjustment, and it seems to top out. The lockout works well though.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
cvt damping = platform damping. 5th element introduced it, manipoo licensed it & put it in the swinger shock. idk if it ever made it into an air shock. either way you should replace it with a ccdb air. then maaaaybe i'll stop heckling you for getting a 29'er

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Magnesium lowers? I'm not really sure what you're getting at with this. Sure, some internal compression/rebound bits may be plastic, but I've rarely heard of them breaking. FWIW, the last fork part I broke was the spring in my '05 U-turn Pike (which I still have).

Forks haven't changed all that much construction wise in the past decade or so.......hence why I haven't seen the need to buy something new.
There are only two plastic parts on my Marzocchi, the washers between the coil and the preload adjuster assembly. And they're delrin at that. I have beaten the fvck out of that fork and it has lasted way longer than any other I have had. But it needs too many replacement parts that are too hard to find. So I had to get something new.

The upside, the Revelation will be about a 1.25 llb. lighter and will have a thru axel.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
What's the difference between the 2012 Revelation RCT3 Dual Air Tapered and Revelation RLT Ti Dual Air Fork? I can't find anything currently.

The best I can figure out is the 3-stage lockout. I can't find anything regarding compression adjustment on either.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
What's the difference between the 2012 Revelation RCT3 Dual Air Tapered and Revelation RLT Ti Dual Air Fork? I can't find anything currently.

The best I can figure out is the 3-stage lockout. I can't find anything regarding compression adjustment on either.
Get thee to eMpTyBeeR and PM RockShoxExperience. Those guys will answer ALL yer questions.