Quantcast

Bike for GF???

HedgeHog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta GA
Found a TREK sport 800 (used) online. My GF has been wanting a bike. She's not into mountain biking (yet ;) ) and wants a comfort bike.

Any thoughts on this bike? I'm don't have any 1st hand knoweldge of this brand. Would this be a good starter bike for park and light trail riding?

2inthehole

Chimp
May 21, 2004
central
yah spend as little as possible...my g/f was all stoked over the winter about biking so i built her a $1000 bike and its been rode once for 20 min and now she turns out to be a bea-tch and im gonna kick her to the curb..so what am i gonna do with a $1000 bike thats way to small for me??....damn its so new looking i could hide it till i get my next g/f and give it to her "LOOK WHAT I BUILT FOR YOU" hahahaa....gotta save somehow...you know what kinda parts that couldve gotten me on my ride??? :nuts:

TULSATUMBLERSGF

GRASSHOPPER
Jan 22, 2004
Tulsa, OK
hey now... that isnt fair... im glad no one gave cooter that advise cuz i wouldnt be riding today...

i had a $200 K2 hardtail from Academy when we first met that i rode one season on the road and sidewalks and he took me to the trails on it... i rode it a few times out there and then when he got his BIG HIT he gave me his specialized rockhopper to ride... it was a lot better than a hardtail for trail riding... sooo i began to enjoy riding... and now i have upgraded to my Giant with a lot more travel and just keep wanting better bikes...

let her try it before you just write her off... but i can say... i would have LOVED it from the start if i had had some plush travel instead of having to graduate up! haha

see ya... were going to hit the trails!

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
TULSATUMBLERSGF said:
hey now... that isnt fair... im glad no one gave cooter that advise cuz i wouldnt be riding today...

let her try it before you just write her off... but i can say... i would have LOVED it from the start if i had had some plush travel instead of having to graduate up! haha

see ya... were going to hit the trails!
As I am sure Cooter lets you know every day, TTGF, you are "not one of them" :D

You are special. Unique. Short bus material....uh I went to far didn't I? :)

Their advice is also wise.....from experience. I had a roommate in college build a killer little bike(I mean wall decoration) for his then GF and she took it with her when she left....though she rarely rode it when they were together.

Buying a bike worthy of a enthusiest before they show interest is forcing what might not be. If they show interest and drive after going out on their old equipment that is a different story. If they are a young couple and the GF may not be around in the future (not slamming them but you know how that stuff goes...) that is double reason not to invest time and resources ($ and emotions) building something with high hopes of use only to be neglected. I saw a decent used HT bike is a good start....maybe she buys it with his help. That way it puts the ownership in her hands....instead of a gift.

I have maintained and adjusted my GF bike (Trek 4500? :think: ) I found an old aluminum rise bar when she tried my bike and like the wider higher bars. I offered her my old Judy XL fork (she has a rigid) and she tried it and didn't like it. The shock was just sitting there doing nothing so I offered it up. I offered up my old GT FS bike to her when we went playing around so see if she liked it....it didn't take. That is better than dropping $2G's on a bike I can't use.

That is different than setting upa bike custome to a lady and having her neglect/ignore it (and consequently you/your efforts) I have seen it happen....these guys have seen/had it happen.

In short you are "special" but in a good way. :) I am sure Cooter agrees.

Rhino

HedgeHog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta GA
This is a used bike that I'd get for around $80 (maybe lower??). My GF has been looking at rigid bikes, but she wants to go on some tame trails, so I've been looking for a CHEAP bike that she can get started on. BTW, she is buying a bike, I'm just helping her find a descent bike for a good price.

I don't have a good idea of the condition of the bike. I wanted to see what you guys thought before I tracked it down.

Thanks fot the input.

TULSATUMBLERSGF

GRASSHOPPER
Jan 22, 2004
Tulsa, OK
RhinofromWA said:
As I am sure Cooter lets you know every day, TTGF, you are "not one of them" :D

You are special. Unique. Short bus material....uh I went to far didn't I? :)

Their advice is also wise.....from experience. I had a roommate in college build a killer little bike(I mean wall decoration) for his then GF and she took it with her when she left....though she rarely rode it when they were together.

Buying a bike worthy of a enthusiest before they show interest is forcing what might not be. If they show interest and drive after going out on their old equipment that is a different story. If they are a young couple and the GF may not be around in the future (not slamming them but you know how that stuff goes...) that is double reason not to invest time and resources ($ and emotions) building something with high hopes of use only to be neglected. I saw a decent used HT bike is a good start....maybe she buys it with his help. That way it puts the ownership in her hands....instead of a gift.

I have maintained and adjusted my GF bike (Trek 4500? :think: ) I found an old aluminum rise bar when she tried my bike and like the wider higher bars. I offered her my old Judy XL fork (she has a rigid) and she tried it and didn't like it. The shock was just sitting there doing nothing so I offered it up. I offered up my old GT FS bike to her when we went playing around so see if she liked it....it didn't take. That is better than dropping $2G's on a bike I can't use.

That is different than setting upa bike custome to a lady and having her neglect/ignore it (and consequently you/your efforts) I have seen it happen....these guys have seen/had it happen.

In short you are "special" but in a good way. :) I am sure Cooter agrees.

Rhino
actually, i do agree with most of what u said... except for the SHORT BUS reference! :mumble: :D

i just know that it was sooo hard at first and i was bouncing all around and knew i loved spending time with cooter doing what he enjoyed but wasnt sure it was totally for me till i got on a bike that was better equipped for the conditions and then felt sooo much more confident... i just think a lot of people take the first few rides and think... i cant ever do this... it is too steep, too bumpy, too high a climb, whatever and dont have the proper bike/components to make those obsticals a little less challenging and the ride more enjoyable...

i am different... i looked at the whole thing completely differently... it was my way to spend time with cooter doing something he enjoyed and it helped me to understand his passion for something i knew nothing about... instead of getting jealous of his time away doing something i didnt know or understand... i put myself there with him and saw first hand the joy it brings him... and began to enjoy it myself... now i dont enjoy climbing or heat or steep or much of anything while i am on the bike! ha ha j/k i do enjoy how it has enhanced our relationship and really feeds his soul and for that, i am glad i participate... i wish more women could sacrifice a little bit of their own wants and preferences and just go out of their comfort zones a tad to possibly find a new hobby that they enjoy like i do! :monkey:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
HedgeHog said:
This is a used bike that I'd get for around $80 (maybe lower??). My GF has been looking at rigid bikes, but she wants to go on some tame trails, so I've been looking for a CHEAP bike that she can get started on. BTW, she is buying a bike, I'm just helping her find a descent bike for a good price.

I don't have a good idea of the condition of the bike. I wanted to see what you guys thought before I tracked it down.

Thanks fot the input.
Cool that she wants to give riding a try!!! Just remember to enourage her and keep telling her to have fun with it!!!

As for the bike, I started out on a Trek 850 and it was a good bike. In expensive and easy to upgrade parts on. I would suggest checking out the brakes (I would hope it has atleast V Brakes because they perform a lot better but mine didn't...that was something I had to upgrade). Also, if possible, take her to a couple of bike shops and get her riding around a little to see what she likes.

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Dude, it never works. Tell her to get her own bike if she wants to ride. I had a bunch of decent XT stuff lying around, so I built a bike for a promising hottie I was dating back in the day. I don't miss her, but I sure wish I had those parts back.

HedgeHog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta GA
TreeSaw said:
Cool that she wants to give riding a try!!! Just remember to enourage her and keep telling her to have fun with it!!!

As for the bike, I started out on a Trek 850 and it was a good bike. In expensive and easy to upgrade parts on. I would suggest checking out the brakes (I would hope it has atleast V Brakes because they perform a lot better but mine didn't...that was something I had to upgrade). Also, if possible, take her to a couple of bike shops and get her riding around a little to see what she likes.

Yeah, we've been riding together a couple of times. She had to rent a bike. She enjoys the hybrids, but wants to go on some light trails. Nothing I'd consider "real" trail riding. I think she should get something with a front suspension and a comfy seat. She wants to spend $200 at most, and doesn't want a department store bike.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
2inthehole said:
yah spend as little as possible...my g/f was all stoked over the winter about biking so i built her a $1000 bike and its been rode once for 20 min and now she turns out to be a bea-tch and im gonna kick her to the curb..so what am i gonna do with a $1000 bike thats way to small for me??....damn its so new looking i could hide it till i get my next g/f and give it to her "LOOK WHAT I BUILT FOR YOU" hahahaa....gotta save somehow...you know what kinda parts that couldve gotten me on my ride??? :nuts:
Phucking WORD!

HedgeHog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta GA
ghostrider said:
Dude, it never works. Tell her to get her own bike if she wants to ride. I had a bunch of decent XT stuff lying around, so I built a bike for a promising hottie I was dating back in the day. I don't miss her, but I sure wish I had those parts back.
She is going to get her own bike. She just wants me to help her pick out a good one. I may buy her a helmet or something, but I ain't gonna front the cash for her bike.