Quantcast

Bike for light freeride/DH

fishercat

Chimp
Jun 1, 2003
Boston area
I am looking for a 2nd bike (my current ride is 2001 intense tracer) built up burly for highland, vietnam, lynn, etc. Something that is a bit more relaxed geo than my tracer but wont completely weigh me down. I am looking at sinister gruitr, which apparently sinister is out of (size medium) or transition covert (version 1). Opinions on which bike would be appreciated, as well as suggestions for a different bike.

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
Funy that you had mentioned the Gruitr. As soon as I read your post question, THAT'S the bike that came to mind. Throw some DH tires on it and you'll have a blast at the lift park. Take 'em off and have a light bike for AM, aggressive trails, etc.
It's a win/win.

Last edited:

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
If you are interested in a burlier bike than the Gruitr, there is a guy on the Sinister boards selling a Splinter MX. I use mine for everything and love the hell out of it. Perfect Shore bike and handles Whistler no problem. I think it would be perfect for Highland. I have used it on the lovely east coast singletrack (head out to Western MA when you get a chance, Wendell, DAR, Holyoke Range) as well, but that is what the Tracer is for, right? Between the two bikes you should have EVERYTHING covered. One thing to note, the Splinter is not the lightest bike, but the mass is centralized so that it rides light.

Other options that come immediately to mind: Specialized SX trail and the Giant Reign X. Everyone that I have talked to that has owner either one loves 'em. A friend just sold his SXT and wants to buy it back!

Last edited:

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
The SXT is great but not light trust me I own one love it for diablo but wish it was about 5lbs lighter. I am surprised you didn't mention the SC Nomad or the Intense regular 6.6, the giant reign is supposedly really nice

fishercat

Chimp
Jun 1, 2003
Boston area
yeah weight is an issue for sure. The reason I havent looked at 6.6 or Nomad is price. If I was going that route I would probably get the new intense tracer but that is an expensive bike. I am happy with my 2001 tracer most of the time, I am just looking for something different, more freeride, kind of a play bike ya know? Does anyone have thoughts on the Covert ? Re Gruitr I am a medium.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
A Socom with a front derailer. Mine weighs in at 36 lbs and I use it for everything. Did I mention I have the frame for sale. ;)

The SXT is great but not light trust me I own one love it for diablo but wish it was about 5lbs lighter. I am surprised you didn't mention the SC Nomad or the Intense regular 6.6, the giant reign is supposedly really nice
An SXT can be built up light. My wifes weighs 35 lbs.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Here are mine and my wifes light FR/DH bikes. We use these bikes for 20+ mile XC rides and resort riding.
The Socom weighs in at 36.9 lbs.

The SXT weighs in at 35.8 lbs. Her bike has a ti spring now.
XT cranks with Lite God bash
ti-Wellgos
Hope/DT 4.2 rims
Maxxis Lite tubes
SX 2 ply tires at about 1000g each
ti-WTB SHE seat
Thompson post and stem
Deity 25.4 bars cut to 26"
Ruffian grips

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
^^

Nice rides Kanter.

As for my suggestion, maybe look at a Mongoose Khyber...Trust me, the new Geese are nothing like the Walmart rigs from years past...

To wit:

Mine weighs in at 33.5 lbs with the current build...Not light by any means, but pedals very well (doesn't everybody say that about their bike tho?), has great geo (67* & 13.7" BB), and devours rough/rocky terrain like a mini-DHer. I've also been very pleased with the Zoch ROCO air - which surprised me quite frankly. I had a Nomad prior to this, and while it was also very good, the Khyber outshines it in the handling department (i.e. it's lower) and on rough terrain. The suspension is basically a high-forward single pivot with a link behind the BB to decouple the rear so it doesn't suffer from brake jack (and honestly, it really works). And lastly, they can be had for a song.

But if money is no object, replace your old Tracer with a new Tracer. Dialed geo, 6" of travel, and quite light (6.7 lb frame).

Last edited:

fishercat

Chimp
Jun 1, 2003
Boston area
I do like the new tracer, but I love my old tracer for most of what I ride. Plus it fits me perfect. Why do people think the bottlerocket would not be good?
for soem reason I like that bike, it looks fun

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
I do like the new tracer, but I love my old tracer for most of what I ride. Plus it fits me perfect. Why do people think the bottlerocket would not be good?
for soem reason I like that bike, it looks fun
the bottle rocket is heavy just as heavy or heavier then an SXT. For the amount of travel it is not woth it, you are better off with the SXT.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
What is the verion 1? I looked at the new one with a Float 36 rc2 it might be really nice but I don't know the travel feels. You can get a 6 or 7" travel bike that if it is done right feels like more or if its done poorly feels like crap.