Bike Lessons from Idaho

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
This seems like a great approach to setting up bike rules.

http://www.sfbg.com/entry.php?entry_id=6346&catid=&volume_id=317&issue_id=378&volume_num=42&issue_num=33

"The concept is a simple one that allows bicyclists to keep their momentum without ever taking the right-of-way from motorists: basically, stop signs are treated a yield signs, and stop lights as stop signs. Bicycles can legally blow through stop signs as long as it isn't another driver's turn."
How is this different from the way most cyclists ride through town?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
How is this different from the way most cyclists ride through town?
It's not different from the way most people ride, but it is way different from the laws of most states. Enforcement may be spotty but in California you can get a ticket for rolling a stop sign, or proceeding on a red light after stopping.

There is also a conceptual/philosophical aspect - I tend to think that if cyclists want the protection of the law, we should follow the rules that apply to us. (I've had dozens of arguments with auto drivers who say they have no respect for cyclists' rights because cyclists don't follow the rules of the road.) But I depart from this nearly every time I ride, because I don't completely stop for every stop sign or wait for every red light after stopping - I don't need to in order to ride safely. I'm not moving to Idaho, but this seems like a great way to have the rules reflect reality.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
It's not different from the way most people ride, but it is way different from the laws of most states. Enforcement may be spotty but in California you can get a ticket for rolling a stop sign, or proceeding on a red light after stopping.

There is also a conceptual/philosophical aspect - I tend to think that if cyclists want the protection of the law, we should follow the rules that apply to us. (I've had dozens of arguments with auto drivers who say they have no respect for cyclists' rights because cyclists don't follow the rules of the road.) But I depart from this nearly every time I ride, because I don't completely stop for every stop sign or wait for every red light after stopping - I don't need to in order to ride safely. I'm not moving to Idaho, but this seems like a great way to have the rules reflect reality.
+1. Very much how I feel on the subject... Still, too many bikers I know love to play the rebel and the victim at the same time.

Kihaji

Norman Einstein
Jan 18, 2004
Heh, try that in Northern VA/DC you'll end up a stain on the road. Most drivers around here regard road signs as mere suggestions to be taken into consideration at a later date.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
The whole point of the law is that you have to obey the laws if there are other road users around...if there are cars on the road, you play by the rules. This is just to help cyclists from having to stop their bikes if they don't have to...