Quantcast

Bike Lights

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Definitely run both helmet and bar mounts. The one on the helmet is great for where you're looking and the bar mount can give objects a bit more shadow making them easier to see. Dual is best for depth perception.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If nothing else, you want a helmet mount, especially if you don't have 5,000 lumens.

Bar mount is nice for an additional light, strobe, or something along those lines. I run a cheap chinese 3-LED one on my bar in the winter at times. I'll use the strobe function to and from the trail or use it on "low" (1 LED) to boost my light up front, but I can't run it any higher or it drains super fast, definitely not like the OSP 800 that I have.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I hope no one is running a strobe at night on the roads. Most annoying thing I've encountered while driving.
Did you swerve into them in a rageful fit? Or did you slow down and avoid hitting him because you were aware of them in the roadway?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Yes distracting is a better choice.

Last year, I encountered a rider with a strobe numerous times on our way to school(usually in the school zone) running a strobe. It was very hard to see anything since I was essentially being blinded every half second or more. Considering oncoming traffic is rarely an immediate threat it seem silly to be creating an additional hazard.

Note - His riding buddy was running a steady light and was clearly visible.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I wish they made them so they only blinked off. Constantly on and blinking off.
The cheap Chinese lights usually have the shitty real strobe patterns most similar to a strobe light in a dance club. Better lights have more useful and less distracting flashing safety modes.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I was not aware that the strobe on my light is annoying. Now that I am aware I will only use it when I ride the wrongway on the expressway.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I have the light&motion taz 1200 for bar mount. It's the only light I have and is sufficient for a trail night ride. A helmet light seems almost a necessary addition though. Too many options and I keep expecting the prices to drop or the technology to be more better. It's hard to pull the trigger when the market has 10 bazillion ways to go.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I was not aware that the strobe on my light is annoying. Now that I am aware I will only use it when I ride the wrongway on the expressway.
I always pictured you as more of a disco ball kind of rider than a strobe. You could easily hang one from a forward facing orange safety flag pole. Then all you would need is a good sound system, but you probably already have that covered.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
F-yeah I used the strobe. When approaching intersections and entrances/driveways. You know the ones, where the drivers pull up 20 feet in front of the stopsign or crosswalk to come to a stop, all the while their head is glued in the opposite direction to where they want to go.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I ride at 6AM but need to start at 5 in order to get trail time before work. It's about a half mile to a paved bike path and 7 miles to the trail. I've had a few close calls with runners wearing earphones so the strobe flashing should give them ample warning.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Still waiting for my Cygolites to come in......or be ordered, perhaps. One of my friends girlfriend works at a place like REI so I decided to take her up on the offer of getting me something with her discount (after all I did the same for all them while I worked at Fox). But damnnnn its taking forever and the sun isn't waiting up for me. :fie:

I decided to go with the MityCross 800 OSP for the helmet and will be putting a TridenX 1300 OSP on the handlebar. I am pretty excited to get them and start riding a little longer after work.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I hope so. The reviews (you guys, Amazon and elsewhere) were all super positive. I think I only read one negative review of the lights and that was some dude who bunged up the connector on a battery.

I'm also happy about the price. Some of the others like Light and Motion are crazy expensive.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Have a look here. I have the Gemini lights, and they're good. But I'm curious about the Gloworm lights.

Stock the Gloworms in my shop.
Can't rate them highly enough!
Bright
Great light spread (come with a range of swappable bulbs to tune it to your needs)
Utterly bombproof
good run time
Light enough so you can mount them down low on the front of the helmet without the helmet getting dragged forward by the weight.
Easy to read charge remaining meter on the top of the batteries.

I given up on stocking other brands to be honest cos the Gloworms have just been so damn good.
The X2 is really great and the XS is insane "portable starwars defense system" territory.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Stock the Gloworms in my shop.
Can't rate them highly enough!
Bright
Great light spread (come with a range of swappable bulbs to tune it to your needs)
Utterly bombproof
good run time
Light enough so you can mount them down low on the front of the helmet without the helmet getting dragged forward by the weight.
Easy to read charge remaining meter on the top of the batteries.

I given up on stocking other brands to be honest cos the Gloworms have just been so damn good.
The X2 is really great and the XS is insane "portable starwars defense system" territory.
I like the how the mounts take the light far away from the bar. My friend Josh runs them. Not that it matters, they look badass also.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I guess a better comparison would be the X2 1500L/3.5hr runtime.
They list these as being 3hr but normal runtime we have found actually be 3.5+ hours they seem to have a habit or erring heavily on the side of caution when stating performance figures.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
SCORE! Lamp arrived yesterday and was left with my neighbor, I didn't see the UPS note until lunch today, on opening the package I noted a little white sticker that says a helmet mount is included. Yeah! Looks like I'll be riding a short single track loop before work tomorrow.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I guess a better comparison would be the X2 1500L/3.5hr runtime.
They list these as being 3hr but normal runtime we have found actually be 3.5+ hours they seem to have a habit or erring heavily on the side of caution when stating performance figures.
It really does not matter but the X2, when shipped with a 5800mAh 4-cell battery pack, delivers 2.5h on high - which is directly comparable to 1.5+h from the Lucifer w/ a 3400mAh 2-cell pack. :nerd:

You could argue that Gloworm offers a bigger variety of packs (2900mAh, 5800mAh and 6800mAh), but that's a different story.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
So the first ride was a success, I was only on the trail of 45 minutes and used the brightest setting, the other 45 minutes were on a bike path where I used the lowest setting. Since I didn't read the directions I did not try the strobe mode.

Prior to today I had only gone night rides in the woods near the Washington coast. I have bad depth perception in low light conditions and couldn't always tell the difference between trees and shadows of trees, that is why I always ran 2 lights. There are no trees where I ride now so this new light is more effective than I imagined. I could have left the light on its lowest setting and been fine.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
IMO the tint/color of the light also makes a lot of difference. Most are blueish, I prefer ones that are warmer, they are much easier on eyes and make it easy to read the terrain, too.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I've used mine a half dozen times so far, they are clearly superior to my old rigs. So impressed was I that I converted my shop lights to led tubes from the home depot.
I'm impressed too. I'm actually impressed the most by the Mitycross light over the 1300 Trident or whatever its called.

Still fiddling with the aiming of the lights, but I think I've almost got it down. The trails here vary quite a lot, long slow bits where you need to see in front of your wheel and then quick fast bits where you need to look way up ahead. Makes it tough for finding that perfect aiming spot.

Do you guys with the Cygolites plug them in after every ride? I think I'm going to buy the bigger battery for the Mitycross.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I never got the bigger battery, the 800 always worked fine for hours, I guess if I was planning for 3+ hours at night, I'd maybe do that, but I think it's better to have a backup light anyway. I plug it in after I significantly discharge it, the only time I don't is sometimes when I've commuted with the strobe on, because it doesn't show any discharge when I get home, but I like to start a night ride with a full charge. My point about the mitycross vs the 1300 was that the battery is the same, so it wasn't going to burn any longer when set to 800, and the 1300 was significantly more expensive.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Yeah good points. Though it might be the "colour" of the light emitted, but I almost find the 800 just as bright as the 1300. The 1300 is definitely way more spread out.

Realistically my rides at night after work will only last about an hour to an hour and a half so running it full blast should be fine.

The instructions aren't very clear, but how do you check the battery level?