Quantcast

Bike Luggage

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I'm tired of carrying a pack and my 5 mile one way does not require more than a water bottle on the down tube, but I need room for riding clothes and a redbull, iPod, a couple tools, etc. on the way to work and room for dress clothes, a stop at the liquor and/or the grocery store on the way home.

I have one of those seat post mount racks to start with, but it interferes with my rear blinky light.

Suggestions for this bike?

mntbiker2

Monkey
Jun 30, 2007
or you can connect the seat post mount rack to the post and put that blinky light at the end of the seat post rack?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I'm not against rigging some goodness, but seems I'll prolly have to do the Pannier thang.

Who's running those with success?

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
seatpost bolt on mounted rack with a small pannier. easy on/off that way as well.

then stick the blinky light on the back of your helmet. far more visible that way. and then still add a second one onto the back of the rack.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
a backpack would be to bulky while grappling with knife wielding, coffee tossing, motorists.

tunnelvision

Monkey
Oct 25, 2007
I have a seat post rack as well and what I am planning to do is cut about 3 inches off of my seatpost since I already payed for it and will never raise my seat thet high, drill a small hole near the back of the rack and with a 3-1/2 bolt and large washers bolt the seat post section underneath the rack near the rear....that should solve my problem, one thing I thought about is getting a larger diameter washer than the seatpost and use that on the bottom then there is no chance of the light slipping off... you can thank me for the idea later.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
I got sick of my messenger bag... heavy, sweaty and cumbersome. I've got a seatpost rack and some old, small pannier bags on my road bike now. I take my pair of shoes to work on Monday and leave them there, and bring them home on Friday. Seems to work great for me. I just clip the rear blinky to the left bag and zip it tight around the clip. Holds fine. Max weight on my rack is 20lbs or so.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Watch how much weight you put on a seatpost-mounted rack, they have a tendency to break.
I'm almost positive you can put a Surly Nice Rack on your 1X1.
Damn, those Nice Racks are pricey.

I went with the Topeak Explorer Bike Rack and trunk for $90 with free 2 day shipping.

Last edited:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Loving the new rack system:

Room for clothes:

Room for dinner:

I had to make adjustments as my 1x1 has no holes on my seat stays, but it worked out perfectly:

Sucks though as I had to pass on a nice deal for some Juicys when I found out my rack would need replaced. :sad:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Lookin' sharp Hoss.

Why, may I ask, do you run such ginormously large tires though? Your bike would probably be a lot better to commute on with tires 1/3 as wide.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Lookin' sharp Hoss.

Why, may I ask, do you run such ginormously large tires though? Your bike would probably be a lot better to commute on with tires 1/3 as wide.
I've ridden the Hookworms on a couple other street bikes and love them for their stickyness and no rolling resistance. Also, I never flat here in the land of billions of goatheads waiting to ruin your ride.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Lookin' sharp Hoss.

Hookworms rule this world.
No flats, no worry.

Looks sweet Stinky!
I saw that Kona Sutra in Fruita, comes equipped with F/R racks. I used to have one, it was wrecked when a truck hit me. Seeing that new one makes me want to get one again!

Cheers.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
That's pretty cool how the rack support goes up to your seat tube collar. I was considering putting a rack on my Cove for commuting, but wasnt sure Id be able to mount one. I dont have the little grommets on the frame that you have over the dropouts, but I think I could axle-mount one.
I guess I didnt consider the goathead issue on the tires. Id imagine that would be an issue in the desert now that you mention it.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
That's pretty cool how the rack support goes up to your seat tube collar. I was considering putting a rack on my Cove for commuting, but wasnt sure Id be able to mount one. I dont have the little grommets on the frame that you have over the dropouts, but I think I could axle-mount one.
I guess I didnt consider the goathead issue on the tires. Id imagine that would be an issue in the desert now that you mention it.
I know that they are expensive, but consider these:

http://www.oldmanmountain.com/Pages/RackPages/RearRacks.html

Designed to mount to frames that don't have rack braze ons.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I dont mean to hijack this thread, thanks for the link, but I dont have brake bosses either, so I think SB's seatpost mount would have to suffice.
Anyway, Im just jawing. Probably not going to buy something like that anytime soon.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
That's pretty cool how the rack support goes up to your seat tube collar.
It required some mods to get there. Those brackets are designed to lay a little more horizontal, but they are flexy (I think to accommodate such mods), and after a little boring out of the holes, they fit nicely in the post clamp bolt.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Nice setup Stinky.

For those who are seeking ways to mount racks and don't have seat stay mounting points/brazeons/whatever ... there are also metal bands with some protective coating that you can fit over the seatstays, and use to bolt the rack stays to (you need a nut for the bolt). It's not totally ideal, and it's not as elegant as Stinky's solution, but it's another option. (I'm talking about the jiggers labeled "B" in the picture below.)