Quantcast

Bike Rack for a Toyota Camry

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Did a search and found some stuff, but not exactly the answer to the question that I had….

Due to $4 a gallon gas prices, and an 85 mile round trip commute, I’m trying to drive my Crew Cab GMC 4x4 less and drive the wife’s 4 cyl Camry instead.

I need a bike rack. Something that is a hitch mount and can carry everything from DH bikes to BMX bikes without taking off the wheels. If it could handle two bikes, that would be great – it would be better if, when needed, I could do an “add-on” to carry a couple more bikes.

I’ve looked at the Thule and Yakima websites and have seen their products, but would like to hear from those who have actually used racks like the one I described.

Suggestions?

TIA

MattNismo

Chimp
Jun 23, 2015
Sorry for the bump of an older post, but I am in a search of a bike rack for my 12' Civic sedan. Looks like it's possible to get a hitch mount bike rack for it, so I just wanted to see if it's worth that? Or shall I just go on with a roof rack mount?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
If you can put a hitch on the car, even if it costs more, I would personally always go that route.

Better gas mileage, easier to load/unload the bikes, no chance of ramming your bikes off a low clearance, no chance of accidentally dropping your bike on the side of your car etc etc.

One added bonus is that you can use the toll road here that takes a picture of your plates for free. The rack usually ends up blocking the licence plate.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
If your racing Camry has a spoiler you're going to have to go with a roof or hitch rack to maintain any semblance of aerodynamic advantage. But I am sure you know that already.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Those racks that hang the bike from the frame sketch me out. Its not the rack rubbing the ground that you need to worry about, on a Honda Civic your front wheel will probably come pretty close to hitting the ground.

Find a tray style rack if you can. You won't regret it and you'll never run into having an oddly shaped frame that won't fit on the "hanging" style, like that one you linked to.

http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Hollywood-Racks/HR1000.html I used a rack that looks almost identical to this (minus the tilting feature) for 5 years. As long as your bikes don't weigh 50 pounds, it should be good.

MattNismo

Chimp
Jun 23, 2015
Thanks everyone for your help. I ended up getting Thule bike rack from CARiD - the one I showed above.A sales rep on the phone was really helpful and answered all my questions about the mounting hardware. Plus, I've got a discount as a returning customer, which is always nice :happy: Anyways, have this rack for a few days already. So far I'm pleased with it, and glad that I didn't go with a roof rack as I planned originally.