Quantcast

Bike Recomendations/Ideas

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
Looking to get a new trail bike and was wondering what some people out there are riding. My current trailbike is a Santa Cruz Bullit w/ a 66RC and a DHX 5.0. It is heavy but I ride it everywhere. I live in Asheville and ride stuff like Trace, Farlow, Sycamore, BC, etc, so a larger travel bike is necessary. My issues I am finding is my size. I am 6'4" and no bike shops seem to carry "Circus Clown" size bikes. I have been looking at the Nomads, but I do like the look of some of the Morewoods and it seems a lot of you ride them.

Enlighten me.

Brian

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
My vote

All mountain all the time. It even handles trails like
Down Laurel
Down Trace
Greenslick
Beehive
Etc etc etc
nicely.

Just a tad over 30lbs and will have a similar feel to your Bullet, and they are available in clown sizes.

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
Rob,

That was kind of the rout I was looking at. How much travel does the rear have with that air shock and how has it held up. I am 230lbs, and have detonated air shocks in the past.

thanks

Brian

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Rob,

That was kind of the rout I was looking at. How much travel does the rear have with that air shock and how has it held up. I am 230lbs, and have detonated air shocks in the past.

thanks

Brian
The new Heckler's have 150mm of rear travel. I have had a Heckler for over 5 years, the first frame last 4 3/4 of those years. I currently weigh around 210 and am slightly less than super smooth. I dont really "Huck the Gnar" by any means, but I can keep up with other folks on bigger bikes (VP Frees as an example) on all but the steepest or rockiest sections of NC trails. The air shock on this bike has been "ok" as it has a tendency to loose enough air that it requires pressure adjustment once a week or so. However I will say that the "Pushed" air shock on my previous Heckler frame might have seen the tip of an air pump twice a year, so it might just be this shock.

It is a great all round bike that is for sure.

Sep 19, 2008
Central Alamance County
I'm 6'3" and 190lbs. Used to ride a Bullit as well. Really liked the Bullit but started doing more jumping and slopestyle stuff. I switched to a Transition Bottlerocket and love the dang thing. It can DH or XC, DJs well and can actually climb well. Mine is set up single speed currently but still does a good XC ride with the wifey, got tired of hearing the derailleur slap when jumping. I also have a C'dale jeckyl which is a great XC bike but find I prefer the more relaxed cockpit of the B'rocket.

clemsonbiker

Chimp
Oct 23, 2007
Transition Preston all the way!! awesome for all mountain stuff becasue its not a long travel frame but beefy enough to take one hell of a beating. i live about 45 minutes away from pisgah so i build mine up to be an awesome "all mountain" bike. it wouldn't second guess any up or down on this bike.

built for: pilot rock, greenslick, farlow gap, not to mention to rail local singletrack.

http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/ii123/greyzj93/?action=view&current=DSC00400.jpg

Last edited: