Quantcast

Bike Recommendation

demo8razor

Monkey
Mar 31, 2008
I had a question and wanted some advice between a couple of bike choices. I ride downhill, but I moved back to northeastern pa and there is only a couple of places to shuttle and for lift service I must drive.

People ride cross country loops around here, and I am debating between getting a cheap hardtail like a specialized hard rock or p bike, all mountain which would be around 600 or even less. I can get last years pitch for a very good price so that is a full suspension all mountain bike. For general riding and xc how much more does a full suspension help? and hurt on climbs for instance? Plus I want to spend the least amount of money as possible as i like DH better and have a lot of money into that rig already.

thank you for responses in advance

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Since you're a DH rider I might recommend the Pitch if you can get a good deal. It's a burly enough frame so you could even do some light dirtjumping and 4X-type riding, and it would be much more fun on the descents, but it wouldn't kill you on the climbs. The main difference between a DH and XC bike is the geo, and the Pitch is sort of in-between.

demo8razor

Monkey
Mar 31, 2008
thanks, it is burly enough to do light stuff? and geometry isnt too bad? i figured an all mountain bike would be good, or a hardtail not a dedicated xc bike. do you know any of the parts or specs on last years pitch or where i could find out online?

demo8razor

Monkey
Mar 31, 2008
thanks, any idea of weight for the pitch? also how do fullys like the pitch do with climbs compared to a basic hardtail?

Califord

Chimp
Apr 7, 2009
need to drop some serious weight, according to my MD Years back I had success
using an exercise bike in combo with good diet. Can anybody recommend a good

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
If you are getting something for xc riding, i'd go with full. I've had a full suspension trail bike since about 99 and won't get a hardtail again for xc. But i have a hardtail for Dj and skateparks. I guess it depends on your budget. You can always get a good hardtail for a good price.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Figured I would post in here instead of starting a new thread; I am also a Dh rider in search of a fun xc bike, I'm willing to suffer a bit on the climbs in order to have a little more fun on the descent, however I'm sort of on a budget, I have most of the parts so I would prefer to get a frame.
I've been looking at the Santa Cruz Heckler, which I have ridden, built the way I would build it and it was sweet, I can also get a sweet deal on a Iron Horse MKIII however considering the current state of affairs with said company and after reading of several people who have cracked the frame in the same spot, I'm thinking this may not be such a wise idea, I'm pretty light but I do ride pretty hard. Any suggestions?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Figured I would post in here instead of starting a new thread; I am also a Dh rider in search of a fun xc bike, I'm willing to suffer a bit on the climbs in order to have a little more fun on the descent, however I'm sort of on a budget, I have most of the parts so I would prefer to get a frame.
I've been looking at the Santa Cruz Heckler, which I have ridden, built the way I would build it and it was sweet, I can also get a sweet deal on a Iron Horse MKIII however considering the current state of affairs with said company and after reading of several people who have cracked the frame in the same spot, I'm thinking this may not be such a wise idea, I'm pretty light but I do ride pretty hard. Any suggestions?
Heckler is a solid choice and would be fun on an XC trail (you'll find lots of things to play on). Not sure if it fits your budget, but check out the Yeti 575 or the Transition Preston or perhaps (much more budget friendly) a Kona Dawg (6") or One20 (5") both would be fun.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Heckler is a solid choice and would be fun on an XC trail (you'll find lots of things to play on). Not sure if it fits your budget, but check out the Yeti 575 or the Transition Preston or perhaps (much more budget friendly) a Kona Dawg (6") or One20 (5") both would be fun.
What about the Transition Covert, it seems to fit the bill a bit better and has rad geometry, not to mention my shop has an awesome relationship with the Transition crew, they would be stoked to get me on one of their bikes and cut me an awesome deal.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
What about the Transition Covert, it seems to fit the bill a bit better and has rad geometry, not to mention my shop has an awesome relationship with the Transition crew, they would be stoked to get me on one of their bikes and cut me an awesome deal.
Very true! I think the Transition bikes are sweet and the covert will go uphill well and still remain fun for the downhill sections.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Very true! I think the Transition bikes are sweet and the covert will go uphill well and still remain fun for the downhill sections.
Thanks for the replies, I think I've narrowed it down to a medium Heckler with a DHX 5.0 coil w/ ti spring and a medium Covert with a DHX 5.0 Air, build kit will most likely be:
-32talas RL up front (until I can scrounge the funds to round up a 36 Talas)
-DT 5.1ex wheels laced to hope pro 2 hubs ( already have the wheelset laying around from a previous build)
-Shimano Saint brakes with LX master cylinder and Dangerboy levers (again spares)
-Shimano LX Cranks with 36 tooth front ring and Transition guide (spare setup)
-11-34 rear cassette
-CrankBrothers Acid pedals
-Ultegra rear der. with Saint shifter
-Thomson 50mm x4 stem and masterpiece seatpost
-Sunline Vone bars and seat
-Sunline grips
-Michelin All Terrain 2.2 tires for mud and muck, Kenda 2.35 Small Block 8s for the dry dust
Hopefully around 30lbs +- what do you guys think? I had a Intense Tazer VP before, it was a super fun bike but A) I didn't really ride it for its intended purpose (used it more as an all mountain bike than a Slalom/ 4x bike which it was designed and B) The cockpit was a little cramped for anything but short forays in the woods. I now have a Black Market Riot for dicking around on and a V10 for DH racing so either one of these bikes would fill the gap nicely.

Last edited: