Quantcast

bike selection

jimbones

Chimp
Oct 19, 2006
I wasn't sure where to post this thread, but since I ride at Diablo I decide to post here.
I have a Titus SuperMoto that is set up for FR/DH. My second bike is a Balfa bb7. I bought the Titus hoping to get a lighter bike for lift served biking that has an active braking: Well I got that, but the Titus rides like a xc bike which I didn't expect when I bought it. Is this the wrong bike to use at Diablo? I struggled when I last used it at Diablo (but then again I am not an advanced rider). Any advice is appreciated:rant::biggrin:

PCinSC

Chimp
Jun 17, 2007
In what way did you struggle? Some of the trails at Diablo are a challenge for a not-advanced rider (speaking from experience here) regardless of what bike you're on.

How is your SuMo set up? What rockers and shock are you using? What fork, stem length, etc.? Are you running your saddle low enough? I've demo'd a Supermoto several times and I've got one in my garage (it's my wife's) and I wouldn't say that it rides like a XC bike. Even with a trail bike set-up (air shock, Fox 36 fork, saddle raised up, light-ish wheelset) its geometry is still pretty slack (67* HTA), although it certainly pedals well and performs great for all around riding.

A great potential Supermoto set-up for Diablo would be a Fox 40 on the front end and a coil shock with the coffin link in the rear. Zero stack headset and short stem to provide the best handling. Will it be the best downhill bike ever? No, but it should perform pretty damn well.
I wasn't sure where to post this thread, but since I ride at Diablo I decide to post here.
I have a Titus SuperMoto that is set up for FR/DH. My second bike is a Balfa bb7. I bought the Titus hoping to get a lighter bike for lift served biking that has an active braking: Well I got that, but the Titus rides like a xc bike which I didn't expect when I bought it. Is this the wrong bike to use at Diablo? I struggled when I last used it at Diablo (but then again I am not an advanced rider). Any advice is appreciated:rant::biggrin:

jimbones

Chimp
Oct 19, 2006
OK I'm a Putz! :disgust:

It's a pretty decent set up:
Travis 180 fork
Coffin link but using the dhx 5 air shock (I have been told these suck)
50mm stem
Nevegal super tacky 2.5
e13 dual chain ring/guide (2 rings up front)
avid juicy 5 (7 and 8 inch brakes)
I slam my seat almost all the way down.

The 67 degree hA feel steeper than my Balfa which is also fairly steep but doesn't feel it. The Balfa is a true DH bike but not too manuverable.

I have been told the weakest link on the bike is the rear shock. What do I replace it with?

Thanks Guys.

PCinSC

Chimp
Jun 17, 2007
That build looks just fine.

What year is your frame? Prior to 2006 the Supermotos were available in a couple of different models - DH (longer chainstays and more travel) and FR. The 2006 model was standardized (more of a AM/FR version) but with several shock options.

If you've got the coffin link and an air shock you may not be getting the best suspension performance. What size shock is it (eye to eye length and stroke length)? The coffin link is designed to be used with a 8.75" by 2.75" coil shock. Having a different size air shock in the coffin or FR configuration may give less than stellar results because the leverages with each rocker configuration and mounting position are designed with a specific shock type and size in mind.

I've got some pics from old titus materials that give some specifics on the different shock options. This thread on MTBR (where I lifted the pics from) may provide more info.

OK I'm a Putz! :disgust:

It's a pretty decent set up:
Travis 180 fork
Coffin link but using the dhx 5 air shock (I have been told these suck)
50mm stem
Nevegal super tacky 2.5
e13 dual chain ring/guide (2 rings up front)
avid juicy 5 (7 and 8 inch brakes)
I slam my seat almost all the way down.

The 67 degree hA feel steeper than my Balfa which is also fairly steep but doesn't feel it. The Balfa is a true DH bike but not too manuverable.

I have been told the weakest link on the bike is the rear shock. What do I replace it with?

Thanks Guys.

Attachments

jimbones

Chimp
Oct 19, 2006
PC,

First let me thank you for taking the time for a great response.
I'll find out and get back to you on the shock. I am fairly certain my frame is a newer frame 07(?). (The badge is the newer type Titus Badge)

I am using the air shock because i was told I could use it without modification and going to a coil shock required some alteration of the link which I was not going to do.

Do you know of a coil shock i could just install and go?
I'll post pics.

It's a nice bike but feels really light (read:too light) and the geometry issue.

PCinSC

Chimp
Jun 17, 2007
Hmmmmmm.

AFAIK the last year of manufacture for the Supermoto was 2006. I know when the Titus demo van came around my area in the summer of 2007 the did not have any Supermotos and I was told they had been discontinued.

Does your SuMo look like this? (This is my wife's '06 model) The 2006 was only available in this copper anodized color. Previous years had other color schemes and different headbadge/decals.

I think that if you have an '06 model with the coffin link then you should be able to drop any modern 8.75" x 2.75" shock in there. I think there were some fit problems with model years before that, plus there were different models in those years. A call to Titus may be your best bet to sort out what you've got and what you should be running.

I can understand the bike feeling a bit "light" and too steep. It's not a heavy frame (particularly with the air shock) and the chainstays are pretty short and the wheelbase isn't very long, making it a pretty flickable and light feeling bike, but not really stable like a true DH bike. IIRC the BB height is also a tad high for a ~7" travel bike, which can lend a feeling of instability in certain conditions.

I'm currently on a Speshy Big Hit with an 888 on the front, and it's super long (48" wheelbase) and pretty slack (66*) and I would not want to go back to a steeper angled bike for DH riding.

PC,

First let me thank you for taking the time for a great response.
I'll find out and get back to you on the shock. I am fairly certain my frame is a newer frame 07(?). (The badge is the newer type Titus Badge)

I am using the air shock because i was told I could use it without modification and going to a coil shock required some alteration of the link which I was not going to do.

Do you know of a coil shock i could just install and go?
I'll post pics.

It's a nice bike but feels really light (read:too light) and the geometry issue.

jimbones

Chimp
Oct 19, 2006
That exactly it. 2006.

I measured the eye-to-eye on the dhx 5 and it is 8 3/8 inches. I may be off a little but it is definitely NOT 8.75. I estimate the stroke at 2 1/4. Will changing out the shock be a big improvement in suspension performance?

I agree with all your assessment on the specs except for the WB, I will measure it but I thought it was fairly long.

BTW I always wanted to try a Bighit. There seem to be lots of them on the used market.

PCinSC

Chimp
Jun 17, 2007
OK. So you've got an '06, with the coffin link and a DHX Air.

Here are my thoughts:

First, some bad news - unless you have the wrong size shock on there (which would be bad news in and of itself) it sounds like your shock may be stuck down. That shock size should be 8.5" by 2.5", which is what my wife has got. The stuck down problem was common on Fox air shocks, especially in 2005 and 2006. I had a stuck down shock on my Enduro (8.75" x 2.5" down to ~8.25" x ~2") and before I figured it out I thought I going crazy - poor suspension performance, pedal strikes, etc. Once I got the shock fixed and rebuilt it was obviously much better.

Double check your measurements, if it is definitely short on travel you'll need to send it in for repair. I'm sure that Fox would do it, or you can use an aftermarket repair place. I used MTB Suspension Experts, they did a good job on that shock and my Fox 36 Talas, good communication, reasonable pricing and fast service.

All that said, I think that air shock (even if it was full length) is the wrong shock for the coffin link. That will probably mess up not only the suspension performance but possibly the geometry of the bike. So it may not even make sense to get the shock you have fixed if you just need to replace it anyway.

The good news is that I think you should be able to get your hands on any 8.75" x 2.75" coil shock and have it fit, assuming you've the got correct hardware and reducers. That's a really common size and you'll find new and used Fox DHX 5.0, 4.0, 3.0; Progressive 5th Element; Fox Vanilla R and RC; Manitou Swinger 6-way and other shock for sale on E-bay and various MTB classifieds (check here, on MTBR and Pinkbike).

You may also want to post over the on the MTBR Titus forum, there are more guys over there with knowledge about this bike and various linkages and shock configurations.

The Big Hit is a decent bike, especially for the price, but if I had money to burn I'd upgrade in a second to any number of DH bikes for a bit better geometry (slacker is better) and better rear suspension performance. I've got a Enduro for trail riding, the Big Hit only sees DH duty. I'll be honest, if I had a Supermoto (and I wish I had one over my Enduro) I'd probably only use it for trail riding since I've gotten used to the extra travel, slackness and stability of the big bike while downhilling.
That exactly it. 2006.

I measured the eye-to-eye on the dhx 5 and it is 8 3/8 inches. I may be off a little but it is definitely NOT 8.75. I estimate the stroke at 2 1/4. Will changing out the shock be a big improvement in suspension performance?

I agree with all your assessment on the specs except for the WB, I will measure it but I thought it was fairly long.

BTW I always wanted to try a Bighit. There seem to be lots of them on the used market.

jimbones

Chimp
Oct 19, 2006
PC,

Went over to mtbr as suggested. it turns out the correct shock is a 8.5 x 2.5. They recommended a Marz rocco or dhx 5 coil. I am looking for a used one. I'll pm you with another unrelated question.
Thanks again.
jim